minature deer

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
dadof3upatree

minature deer

Postby dadof3upatree » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 am

I'll be the first to admitted this one is hard to believe, but its the Gods honest truth.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of ten years ago, after an evening of bow hunting, I was driving home and saw something very weird.  As I approached a curve in the road I was startled by a numbers of deer in the road.  I was able to slow and stop in plenty of time to let them cross safely.  As the group of does crossed at a distance of no more than 20 yards, I saw what appeared to be a minature deer.  This was October and it really didn't look like a fawn at all.  It was an estimated 2 feet tall and had no spots.  It just ran off with the rest of them and disappeared.  I did see it a few weeks later after another evening of bow hunting the same farm, at the same curve.  That was the last time I saw it.  I've spoken to a few people over the years about this and pretty much got the "How much had you been drinking?" attitude.  The answer is none and I have just about given it up to my own insanity.  So I ask you ladies and gentlemen this.  Do dwarf deer exist?  Do deer of at least 6 months ever remain 2 feet tall?  I know it happens in humans, so it doesn't seem too far out for it to occur in deer but I seem to have seen the only one, at least in Missouri.  Am I crazy?  Should I take up drinking?  Thank you for any information.  I know this is a good question for Mr. Rue, but I can't find a post or e-mail address for him.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

jacannon63

RE: minature deer

Postby jacannon63 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:07 am

Mother nature does some strange things sometimes. Last Jan. was a year ago I was hunting in a 15 ft. ladder stand. I had a very small buck walk right under me. I would guess about 40 lbs. He had very light spots along the top of his back. His left antler was about 6 ins. long with a small fork, the right was about 4 ins. long and broken. I have often wondered how a spotted fawn could grow this much antler so soon.
Stump sittin since 1981

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri May 01, 2009 7:13 am

I dunno. Maybe lots (and lots) of testosterone?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Spurred

Postby Spurred » Thu May 07, 2009 8:07 am

Could it have been an escaped Axis deer?

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Thu May 07, 2009 4:07 pm

Not likely, here in Missouri but possibly.  It really just looked like a regular deer that got shrank down.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

Hoytamania

Postby Hoytamania » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:17 pm

I would say anything is possible, if its in the genetics and matches up in the DNA strand correctly i guess it could happen, but i have never heard or seen this myself.

Return to Deer Browse