Reloading

OHhunter

Reloading

Postby OHhunter » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:10 am

Anyone have any expirience reloading, I'm considering getting into it on a small scale.  Mainly for my coyote guns, a 22-250 and a .17 Rem.  Please post any equipment suggestions or tips,  Thanks in advance for the help.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

fasteddie

RE: Reloading

Postby fasteddie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:48 pm

There is an initial cost of buying equipment in order to reload . It takes a long time to recoup your expenses but the satisfaction of shooting a deer , woodchuck , etc with something that you put together outweighs the cost . It also gives you the opportunity to tweak loads for your individual guns .
I was lucky and was able to buy a used Lyman Turret press from a woman whose uncle gave it to her . I bought a couple of manuals and read them twice before even starting to reload . Initially I was a bit scared to reload but after I got into it , it became easier . I purchased a tumbler and a Lee single stage press along with some Lee Deluxe Rifle Dies .
My son wants to reload so we may give the 44 mags a try in the next couple weeks . He is pushing me to hurry up but I don't want to jump into that without making sure I have everything I need before we start .
So far I have only reloaded for my 223 and 7-30 waters . I killed a doe with a reload from the 7-30 waters . I had taken the wrong rounds and did it with a necked down 30-30 cartridge that I hadn't fire formed yet . It was fire formed after I shot the deer .

Check out Varmint Al's Reloading Page :

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm
Semper Fi !

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:52 am

I have had good luck with these sites for reloading supplies ..........
I have used Midway most of the time

http://www.midwayusa.com/reloading
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
http://www.natchezss.com/
Semper Fi !

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:53 am

Thanks Fasteddie, I found a kit with that press and several other pieces of equipment plus your choice of a die set for 125 bucks on ebay.
Brad

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Look into a RCBS rockchucker master reloading kit.

Has everything you need to get started except for the dies.

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks, I believe I saw it in Cabela's.  May be a little more than I'm wanting to spend right now though.
Brad

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:49 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

I've got to agree with PrairieShadow.  I bought the Rockchucker kit as my first reloader...it will load any cartridge you would ever want to load.  Outstanding equipment.  Great quality.  Highly recommended.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:15 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

That's good advice. Don't buy something just because it's cheap.

Also, don't be afraid to buy used. Lots of people get into reloading, and after a year or so the equipment just sits there. Post on a few message boards to see if anyone is willing to sell something they don't use. My press is a used RockChucker.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Next

Return to Ammo