ML from the ground

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
JPH

RE: ML from the ground

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:01 am

I have a whole gallery. Do we really want to start this again?

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:25 am

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Thats the WW I was picturing![:D][:D]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:34 am

You know, it really doesn't matter if YOU can see me (although if we were in the woods, you wouldn't), it's the DEER I'm concerned about! [;)]

All I know is that it WORKS!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:11 am

Seriously now, WW those are some giant deer! That double drop's tines are outstanding!
Congrats! Those two deer are both a buck of a lifetime!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:52 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I have a whole gallery. Do we really want to start this again?

i say we get those gilly pics a rolling one more time JPH!
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:04 pm

When I first saw this new section I immediately thought of WW! Both of you have beautiful pictures of deer and I have seen JPH's photos of deer but this is the first time I saw some from WW (besides that mammoth doe).
WW that double drop tine looks like something an artist would paint. In fact, I had my favorite coffee mug that I purchased at Gander mountain and it had a print of deer on it and one looked just like that except the drop tines were close to the bucks head. Just seeing the picture of your buck kind of brought the picture of that mug to life.

Unfortunately the D&DH geek got the best of me and when I bought a tank sprayer that goes on the back of a 4wheeler to spray food plots I just couldnt leave it alone and had to go play with it out in the garage one morning. Long story short I wasnt paying attention and knocked it on the floor and it broke...part of me died that day...and coffee has yet to taste that good again...[:o]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Seriously now, WW those are some giant deer! That double drop's tines are outstanding!
Congrats! Those two deer are both a buck of a lifetime!
Thanks, Goose!  I shot both of these deer during the 2006 firearm season, the drop point was during second half, as I was stillhunting along the bluff facing the Illinois River. Here's a better photo. He scored 170 typical, and 184 non-typical. The other was 145 typical. 

[/align][/align]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Those are some great deer guys .There has been some great info on still & ground hunting . The only thing I have to add is grunting . Any time I come across a large patch of weeds I grunt every 30 or 40 yards on my way through and check out any responses. I also grunt before I top any hill but I only hunt private land dont know if it would be to safe on public land . I have shot a couple nice deer with my ml using this technique . Keep your powder dry & GOOD LUCK

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:06 am

Hmmmm.......that's a good idea. I may try that during shotgun season. I stillhunt on private land also.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:26 am

WW Beautiful buck and picture.

In the past I have heard of people bringing a turkey call with them and clucking as they go. I just read an article on still-hunting and they advised against doing so because that is actually a warning to deer.
Makes sense, just like a squirrel squawking is a good indicator so are turkeys clucking.......
Jake

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking