Minnesota Archery Season Notes

Patriot

RE: Minnesota Archery Season Notes

Postby Patriot » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:06 am

October 10 - Went to Patriot's "playground".  That's what I call my semi residential 7 acre "honeyhole" just down the street from where I live.  A co worker sees deer in here yard "all the time", so I figured it's worth a shot.  I have a blind all set up on the edge of the yard.  Not my ideal hunting situaiton, but it "scratches the itch". 

Kicked up a doe on the way in tonight.  No other encounters.

October 11 - Back to the "playground".  Mrs. Patriot came with as well.  Temps in the mid 30's.  We saw 2 large does and 2 fawns.  I passed up a 42 yard broadside shot in the wide open (aka the backyard of the house nearby).  I passed again as she moved through a small window at 32 yards.  The last thing I want is to make a bad shot and have a wounded deer running all over the neighborhood.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:07 am

I know I'm not the only one hunting in MN.  How are the rest of you doing?  Any good encounters?

MN_Prairie_Prowler

Postby MN_Prairie_Prowler » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:44 am

Sorry I haven't been contributing very much. I've been very busy with work and everything else.

Oct. 10 P.M.
Got on stand at 4:00. Just got sat down, clipped on my saftey harness and looked over and there was a fawn less than 10 yds away watching my bow swing under my stand. After a couple of minutes and some sniffing and foot stomping it left. Saw 5 does and fawns that night. With only 1 deeer a year I passed. Although thay looked pretty tasty.

Oct. 11 P.M.
Got on stand at 4:30. Cold and windy. After 1 hour saw 2 fawns. After another 1/2 hr saw a 1.5 yr 6 pt and an 2.5 yr  9 pt. They sparred for about 3 minutes. Then a 3.5 yr  8 pt and 2.5 yr 8 pt came out. The 3.5 yr was big bodied but he was inside his ears in width. Very tempting but I passed on a 29 yd shot. I had bow in hand and release clipped on but couldnt get myself to draw back. I probably made a HUGE mistake.
Hope to get out tonight if the wind is favorable. This snow should make them feed earlier tonight.

My girlfriend missed a doe on the 8th. Darn tree branches. Its the one that you dont see that always gets ya.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Pretty humorous last post Patriot...LOL.  Love the 'honeyhole!'
QDM!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:18 pm

Love the avatar Patriot!!!  Very cool!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:23 am

Haven't been out since opening weekend, when I had 2 big does and 4 fawns in front of me for an hour eating beans, but I passed. I'm heading out in southeast MN this weekend! Looks like good weather, and hopefully I'll be able to put some meat in the freezer...

dewey

Postby dewey » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:45 am

Patriot the next time you go to the honey hole down the road you should just sit in the house. It is a lot warmer and you can watch TV until they show up, plus a lot more comofrtable.[:D] j/k That is awesome you got a place down the road to hunt at.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Hey fellow MN hunters. 

Attached is a pic of a nice doe I killed last Thursday.  (also posted here).  RE: Post Your 2009 Harvest Pics!

Mrs. Patriot helped me drag her out.  She hasn't had a shot yet, but has enjoyed watching the deer (too far to shoot).

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:36 pm

opening morning filled a doe tag over a bean field

otherwise had small 1.5 year olds within 20 yards, same with lots of does and fawns, but no shooters within sight yet. havent even been able to see any glassing during shooting hours, they are pretty locked down in the thick stuff and pretty nocturnal right now.

scrapes are popping up and have watched a few does stop and urinate on a couple i been sitting over, cant wait for halloween night and that first week of november!
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

MN_Prairie_Prowler

Postby MN_Prairie_Prowler » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:43 am

Great job Patriot!

Thats awsome that the Mrs. got to watch. Theres nothing better than being able to share the hunt with someone you love. 

Lets here some detail, the distance, shot placement, how long you watched her, how far she went after the shot,etc. 

I didnt have a chance to make it out this weekend, I was out of state hunting antelope. My plan is to get out tonight with my girlfriend and sit in the stand. Shes only been out a couuple times and I would really like to see her get one.

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota