ML from the ground

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
Woods Walker

RE: ML from the ground

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:48 am

TY goose. He even makes MY ugly mug look good!

I'd never considered that about the turkey call.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:47 am

ORIGINAL: MoDeer

The only thing I have to add is grunting . Any time I come across a large patch of weeds I grunt every 30 or 40 yards on my way through and check out any responses. I also grunt before I top any hill but I only hunt private land dont know if it would be to safe on public land . I have shot a couple nice deer with my ml using this technique .

Excellent point, MoDeer! I have not used this technique during ML hunts because the times that I can hunt with ML are early Oct. or early Dec.

I have, however, used this effectively while bow hunting on the ground. In 2005 I was sneaking in the timber, grunting every so often and I pulled this buck (photo included for WW) right into my lap. It was an awesome hunt.

I may need to pull the grunt tube out in the pre and post rut also. Thanks for the idea!

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:25 am

Another great deer JPH but I am not looking to draw deer to me . I used to hunt a private farm that bordered Swan Lake wildlife refuge and when the goose hunters showed up the big bucks went nocturnal . I watched a lot of smaller bucks walk through there bedding area . they would usually grunt on there way through and sometimes they would get 3 or 4 responses from bedded bucks . After a frustrating rifle season I grabbed my muzzleloader and went for a walk through those weeds grunting all the way. I had 3 bucks answer me the first 2 I got close enough to evaluate and decided they wernt for me but the third one was a nice buck . I moved in on him ready for the shot and shot him as he was getting up .    
 They are a lot easier to spot in the weeds if you have a little wind and look for the weeds not moving with the wind . Sometimes you will discover those wernt weeds after all. I carry a pair of binos to help evaluate the deer hith out having to get too close .
 This works in wood lots also . Last year while still hunting the early bow seasson . I had a buck answer one of my grunts . After a few minutes of serching I found him bedded on the oter side of a fallen tree about 50 yards away . I got to 25 yards and was all set to wait for him to stand up when a doe showed up and he jumped up to chase her. I never got a shot but what a great hunt that was. If he had not responded to my grunt I dont think I would have seen him.
 I know that at the right time grunting can help draw a buck to you but anytime you grunt and get a response it could help you find a deer that you might not have seen.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Man, you guys are making me want to stay on my feet!! The stand can be soooo boring. That's why I like to turkey hunt, ya talk to em, they talk back, you move to them or they come to you. No sitting in a spot and hoping they get hungry.
South Carolina Low Country

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:43 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

WW Beautiful buck and picture.

In the past I have heard of people bringing a turkey call with them and clucking as they go. I just read an article on still-hunting and they advised against doing so because that is actually a warning to deer.
Makes sense, just like a squirrel squawking is a good indicator so are turkeys clucking.......

I have to disagree Goose with the turkey call.
Turkeys will cluck and purr as they walk through the woods. If they make a sharp PUTT, then you have trouble. IMO, using a turkey call would'nt scare deer, if used correctly.
I would'nt however use a grunt call while I walk thru the woods hunting public land.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:57 am

I would'nt however use a grunt call while I walk thru the woods hunting public land.

True that...Besides, the siren and strobe lights you have to use on public land would negate any benefit the call would have anyway!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:57 pm

have a whole gallery. Do we really want to start this again?

LOL, you have that saved as your desktop picture don't you!!!???
QDM!

Previous

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking