Acorns

kykevin

RE: Acorns

Postby kykevin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:53 pm

I cant hunt those trees because they are in the middle of a horse farm that is manicured like a golf course. and from the pic below I think you will see I put corn out :) was thinking about when the acorns are gone or almost gone I could basically create the only oak tree around that is still littered with acorns....it was just a thought....being a total deer geek I think way too much about stuff like this

-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:40 am

Most all my deer on my cam's seem to be hitting the oaks before my food plots now. Before the storm was seeing tons of deer in the fields, now they just kinda nibble for a minute as they head out to the acorns

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:46 am

ORIGINAL: kykevin

I cant hunt those trees because they are in the middle of a horse farm ... and from the pic below I think you will see I put corn out :) was thinking about when the acorns are gone or almost gone I could basically create the only oak tree around that is still littered with acorns....

Are you sure that isn't corn mash left over from a still? Cause that deer looks stoned. [:D][:D]

It's a good thought & I'd love to do it myself ... but ... in NYS it is verboten ... if a DEC agent caught me hauling a basket full of acorns in the car ... he could confiscate my car, my rifle & indirectly ... my wallet. [:(]

kykevin

UPDATE: PROJECT ACORN

Postby kykevin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:35 pm

[/align] [/align]They make a basket type product that you roll around to collect nuts and acorns and such. Let me tell you from first hand knowledge, whatever that thing cost it would so be worth it. I collected 3 5gallon bucks of acorns here and there during the week and it sucked. Extremely time consuming and hard on the old back. I would hate to guess how many acorns it takes to fill up a bucket but it weighs about 25 pounds. If I never touch another acorn again it will be too soon. These 3 buckets of acorns are like gold too me me now after all the work I went through to get them. Havent decided exactly what to do with them yet. Got them stored in a mesh type bag in my cool basement for now.[/align]

Croz73PA

RE: UPDATE: PROJECT ACORN

Postby Croz73PA » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Carefull moving those acorns, check the regs

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:27 pm

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

ORIGINAL: kykevin

I cant hunt those trees because they are in the middle of a horse farm ... and from the pic below I think you will see I put corn out :) was thinking about when the acorns are gone or almost gone I could basically create the only oak tree around that is still littered with acorns....

Are you sure that isn't corn mash left over from a still? Cause that deer looks stoned. [:D][:D]

It's a good thought & I'd love to do it myself ... but ... in NYS it is verboten ... if a DEC agent caught me hauling a basket full of acorns in the car ... he could confiscate my car, my rifle & indirectly ... my wallet. [:(]

you aint kidding them boys dont play
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:29 am

I'm new to the D&DH Forum, so hello to all of you. I have 2 farms in West KY that I hunt and manage. One farm was hit very hard by the ice storm and then again by the wind storm. I don't know if that has alot to do with the acorn crop this year or not. The oak trees that did produce this year had alot of mast but most of the acorns that fell were rotted before they hit the ground. My assesment is that all the rain caused the shells to split early so the seed rotted. The acorns that were good are all but gone now and the deer are showing up on the food plots very heavy.

Crossbow_Hunter74338

Acorns

Postby Crossbow_Hunter74338 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:46 am

Is anyone seeing a good number of acorns this year in northeast oklahoma? I talked to a guy the other day and he said that he didnt see much and he thought the acorns wouldnt be plentiful this year
Theres Only 2 Seasons "Getting Ready For Deer Season" And "Deer Season"

HUEHUENORMAS

Postby HUEHUENORMAS » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:36 pm

In the south east our tree's are loaded.... But with the drought they're dropping every evening.. We'll be lucky if there any come season....

yokelokie

Postby yokelokie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:56 am

Choctaw county seems to have only a few blackjack and postoak acorns. They should drop about the second and third week of October. Can't wait to be in a stand. Our current rains are just in the nick of time. It's that magical time of the year.

PreviousNext

Return to Oklahoma