An example of "Cold Fusion" !

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
bmorris

An example of "Cold Fusion" !

Postby bmorris » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:41 pm

The abulity to lambinate carbon on to fabric is nothing new. As far as I can determine by talking to experts in Europe and here in the US this is a process that has been used for years. Here is the process steps.

Lay down a piece of fabric
Spray onto the fabric a carbon solution with a binder.
Take a small nozzle and spray on a spider web of glue on top of the fabric.
Lay down another fabric on top of the first fabric.
Run through a set of hot rollers to melt the web of glue.
The immediately run through two more rollers that are cold.
This hardens the glue and fuses it to the fabric.
This process was used in the late 90"s on fabrics intended for hunting.

This is my opinion and it is only an opinion because I don't know the process that Scent Blocker uses in their claim of cold fusion. If this is what they are doing it is nothing new.

Wolfman

RE: An example of "Cold Fusion" !

Postby Wolfman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 am

[font="Tahoma"] It's still a bastardization of the word fusion.[/font] [:@]
IF YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Everyday Hunter

RE: An example of "Cold Fusion" !

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:11 am

ORIGINAL: Wolfman

[font="tahoma"][size="4"] [size="2"]It's still a bastardization of the word fusion.[/size][/size][/font] [:@]

Actually, it's not, because science isn't the only place where the word "fusion" is legitimately used. In fact, the word fusion was around long before anyone even theorized that nuclear fusion might be a possibility. Here's what Merriam-Webster has to say:
[size="2"]
[/size][size="2"]Definition of FUSION[/size]
1: the act or process of liquefying or rendering plastic by heat
[/align]2: a union by or as if by melting: as A[/i]: a merging of diverse, distinct, or separate elements into a unified whole B[/i]: a political partnership : coalition C[/i] : popular music combining different styles (as jazz and rock) D[/i]: food prepared using techniques and ingredients of two or more ethnic or regional cuisines -called also fusion cuisine
3: the union of atomic nuclei to form heavier nuclei resulting in the release of enormous quantities of energy when certain light elements unite
[size="2"]
Examples of
FUSION  [/size]
[ol][*]a fusion of different methods[*]a fusion of musical styles[*]The show is a fusion of news and entertainment.[*]The fusion of different cultural influences is evident in her sculpture.[/ol][/align][/align][size="2"]Origin of FUSION[/size]
Latin fusion-, fusio, from fundere
First Known Use: 14th century
[/align]
It's probably the linkup of the word cold with fusion that you're objecting to. Cold fusion is still only a theoretical possibility, and it's strictly in the realm of science, but the concept of fusion has been used in fabrics for a long time. If the collar or cuffs on your shirt had no "fusing," they'd quickly become limp and shapeless.

I don't know why the company has linked cold with fusion in their branding because we're not talking here about a cheap energy source or a garment that will produce energy (heat) in cold conditions, so it definitely could confuse consumers. But when it comes to branding there are few rules. I once came up with a brand name (Allegheny Trail) for a company, even thought there was no trail called the Allegheny Trail. So, whether I like the name "Cold Fusion" for garments or not, there really is no scientific or legal objection that will stand.

I agree that when branding and advertising get involved, they can definitely sometimes confuse people.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to Breaking News