Trespassers

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
gtonagel

Trespassers

Postby gtonagel » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:14 pm

I am very excited about my new spot this year in Indiana. It's a lease and supposably has sat idle for the last couple years. However, I have already had several problems with trespassers. Nothing frustrates me more. Any ideas or suggestions to make sure others stay off my property?
I put signs up on the borders but thought maybe there is more to do.

Greg

JPH

RE: Trespassers

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Huge, huge issue! Great question! To begin, with congratulations on the new spot. I've had some epic battles with trespassers myself and I'll do anything I can to help a brother out!

The good news is that trespassers are lazy. If they were not, they would secure legal permission just like the rest of us. A lot of times, if you can make it hard for them to trespass, they'll go somewhere else. Good fences and gates help a lot! Many of them will not get in beyond what they can easily drive to.

The bad news is that they do not respect the law. We already know that. But they can be made to respect the consequences. Call the Warden or Sheriff every time, no exceptions. In fact, call the Warden in advance and let him know of your concerns. Ask him to stop by for coffee. Make sure he knows that he can rely on you for tips about poachers or other law breaking. That relationship will bring him around and get get the trespassers thinking twice.

Another thing that may help are cameras, and even more importantly signs that warn of them. The camera that they see will get stolen, but the camera they cannot see, but are warned about, may scare them off.

Now here is my biggest caution. Do not get too wrapped up in it. When you confront them, be very polite and never get into an argument. That is how people get killed. Simply explain your right to the lease, take down information and report it to the authorities. And never, never put out tire spikes, booby traps or fire warning shots into the air! As much as I hate trespassers/poachers, it is not worth hurting someone over and innocent people do sometimes make mistakes.

Sadly, these guys will always be with us to some extent. I have allowed a rogue boot tracks to rob me of the enjoyment of a hunt. Don't do that to yourself. Be firm and vigilant, but accept what you cannot change.

Good luck and enjoy the lease!

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:03 pm

gtonagel,

I just had to deal with this tonight.  On my way out to my stand a vehicle pulled into the driveway to my property ahead of me.  WTF was my first thought and I immediately felt my blood pressure soar. 

Pulling up behind the vehicle, I got out and approached the kid dressed in full camo.  In my most polite fashion. I asked what he was doing here?  It turns out that he is the son of the farmer of the field adjacent to my hunting ground.  So, not exactly trespassing.  His plan was to set up a pop-up blind in the corner of the field.  I discouraged him, saying that my treestand was within a matter of feet of where he was choosing to erect his blind.  He opted to go to another field down that his father owned down the road.

After I got to my stand I started thinking.  This kid didn't have permission for any of the adjacent property, only the soybean field.  Did he expect to drop the deer where it stood?  And to make matters even worse, he had already dropped his buddy off on the other end of the field.

Now you have to understand.  I live next to this guy that won't let anyone on his property, except me, and that is only on rare occassions and only when he is with me.  He has allowed me access to retrieve a couple bucks that have run across the property line, but I always call him before stepping one foot over the line.  This guy is notorious for having people ticketed.  He and the local CO have personally thanked me for policing the border nearest my house. 

So, I say again.  Did these kids actually think they could retrieve their downed deer or did they think they could drop them where they stand?  Geesh!

I have to agree with JPH.  Don't try anything crazy.  Just abide by the law and by all means, report all trespassers to the local CO or Sheriff.  One word of caution.  Your signs must be heavily posted.  You don't want anyone to say they never saw the signs. 
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:55 pm

If you end up confronting the trespassers make sure you keep your cool and dont let things get out of hand.      My uncle was bow hunting one evening and kept hearing some yelling coming from where he had parked. He got down and went to see what was going on but by the time he got there it was over. One of the guys had jumped in his truck and left but not before shooting the other guy with an arrow. My uncle hauled him to the hospital and he was going to be ok .
   You never know what someone is capable of until it is too late . Stay safe and keep it as friendly as possible .

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:47 am

I had a friend who went to the worst biker bar in the county and found the meanest patron he could find and offered him bowhunting rights in exchange for watching his lease-- never had a problem after that.

I have a reputation in the area for being absolutely ruthless in dealing with poachers and trespassers.  Most folks in the neighborhood understand that I will drop everything to go hunt 2-legged coyote.  Frankly, it beats deer hunting, and I get no greater thrill than watching a poacher run for the property line, dropping gear as he goes.  Just be careful.  JPH is right about keeping it safe. 

Outside of being shot, a poacher fears being locked in.  If you can make allowances for barring the escape of your poacher, you may beat him .  If you catch him, lock the gate and call the cops.  Putting a gate and a fence up seems to have given one bunch of poachers that used to drive onto my property pause for concern.

I sent a package of material to the local CO including marked-up topos, and aerials with boundaries, names of neighbors, and past histories of poaching, lines of ingress, etc.  He has an open invitation to hunt 2-legged coyote on my place, and knows all I want in return are the ears.  Everybody knows I like the CO.

My 'No Trespassing sign at the road includes the warning: "Poachers will be tormented to the fullest enjoyment of the landowner before being prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

Put a classified in the local paper, make it creative.  Make it stand out somehow. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:21 am

A couple more thoughts, before I take off for a meeting:

[ul][*]As the last bunch of poachers were being hauled off by the state police,  the trooper told one poacher: "You know you are lucky this landowner had the sense to call us.  Most landowners around here would have just shot you."[/ul][ul][*]One time, I caught poachers turkey hunting.  We were all armed, and  I was at a 2-1 disadvantage.  Outside of gun range I started a humiliating critique of their hunting style.  Not only did they leave and never come back, but they also left all their gear.[*]I have an FRS radio that scans the channels, and I monitor them while I'm hunting.  One time I went on a channel that I knew was being used by a couple poachers and painted a false scenario.  The poacher thought I was going to be one spot, and I  popped out at another.
[/ul]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:25 am

I just addressed this issue.... this past weekend....On our new property...I wrote my name and cellphone number on a piece of paper....I went door to door and explained that We purchased the property and I will be updating the posted signs(which were already under our initials and address)   and that I will arrest anyone ...even if they are a relative if they are on our land for any reason ...with out me ...That if a deer crosses just call...I'll help track...gut ...and drag...but the blood best start off my land....I have no need to "steal" anyone's buck....That we hunt all seasons and don't want to be shot at ...or accidentally shoot someone...If they see any of us don't enter the property to talk...we're hunting..call...and I asked for their cell numbers in case I need to track a deer.

Well ....two refused to answer their doors....and one offered to stop the car load of hunter that show up every opening day...then admitted to trespassing them selves....told me who else has been trespassing(no door show).... Another took me on a tour of his property and where all his stands are....One guy told me I didn't own the land!!That he knew some guy from the city did!...The previous owner lived out of state[8|]...I finally said ...after 4years ...4 attorneys....3 title searches.... a registered survey ...and closing last Monday....I think I know what I payed for[8|]..I let those ppl know that there are going to be some upset ppl this season because with the cameras set up and no time to put up stands we will be hunting from ground blinds and portable climbers with our digital cameras in hand as well.....

This will be an interesting season indeed 

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:46 am

First seasons usually are.  My guess is that your little trip down the road did a lot.  They may not show it, but they're now on notice. 

I love the guys who try to tell you that you don't own the property, or that you have no right to tell them what they can do, or that you don't know where the property boundaries really are, and those survey ribbons are a bunch of hooey, or that they have written permission already, or that  the neighbor gave them permission, or that "nobody owns the property"-- that one borders on the philosophical.

I just love them.  I love them the same way you love hooking a nice fat catfish and hauling him in.

I once had a boss who had spent waaaay too much time in Vietnam and after 20 years back home was still having "issues."   He  once told me that deer hunting was boring and that, after being in the jungle and hunting humans, nothing really compared.  I thought he was nuts. 

Well, he was.  That's beside the point.  The thing of it is, after another 20 years, I finally got my own 200 acres and had to start policing it.  Larry, God bless him, was right.  There really is no better game.

Floating Debris

Postby Floating Debris » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:04 am

Early entry for the quote of the week, right there.

ORIGINAL: shaman

First seasons usually are.  My guess is that your little trip down the road did a lot.  They may not show it, but they're now on notice. 

I love the guys who try to tell you that you don't own the property, or that you have no right to tell them what they can do, or that you don't know where the property boundaries really are, and those survey ribbons are a bunch of hooey, or that they have written permission already, or that  the neighbor gave them permission, or that "nobody owns the property"-- that one borders on the philosophical.

I just love them.  I love them the same way you love hooking a nice fat catfish and hauling him in.

I once had a boss who had spent waaaay too much time in Vietnam and after 20 years back home was still having "issues."   He  once told me that deer hunting was boring and that, after being in the jungle and hunting humans, nothing really compared.  I thought he was nuts. 

Well, he was.  That's beside the point.  The thing of it is, after another 20 years, I finally got my own 200 acres and had to start policing it.  Larry, God bless him, was right.  There really is no better game.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

I just addressed this issue.... this past weekend....On our new property...I wrote my name and cellphone number on a piece of paper....I went door to door and explained that We purchased the property and I will be updating the posted signs(which were already under our initials and address)   and that I will arrest anyone ...even if they are a relative if they are on our land for any reason ...with out me ...That if a deer crosses just call...I'll help track...gut ...and drag...but the blood best start off my land....I have no need to "steal" anyone's buck....That we hunt all seasons and don't want to be shot at ...or accidentally shoot someone...If they see any of us don't enter the property to talk...we're hunting..call...and I asked for their cell numbers in case I need to track a deer.

Well ....two refused to answer their doors....and one offered to stop the car load of hunter that show up every opening day...then admitted to trespassing them selves....told me who else has been trespassing(no door show).... Another took me on a tour of his property and where all his stands are....One guy told me I didn't own the land!!That he knew some guy from the city did!...The previous owner lived out of state[8|]...I finally said ...after 4years ...4 attorneys....3 title searches.... a registered survey ...and closing last Monday....I think I know what I payed for[8|]..I let those ppl know that there are going to be some upset ppl this season because with the cameras set up and no time to put up stands we will be hunting from ground blinds and portable climbers with our digital cameras in hand as well.....

This will be an interesting season indeed 

MSBadger you sound like you're going to have too much fun this season, wish I could help you police the property but I'm too far away LOL! I don't have my own property yet and it seems we don't have near the problem down here in the not so crowded South as you do in some of the more populated Northern areas. In 5 years that we've hunted 110 acres the my friend's father in-law owns we have never had a problem with tresspassers. The owner knows all the neighbors and they do a good job of keeping an eye on it when he's not around. Hopefully that continues to the be the case. As Shaman put it, "There really is no better game" so have fun but be safe MSBadger and the rest of you!

Next

Return to Best Practices