Bucks

AfterShock95

Bucks

Postby AfterShock95 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:44 am

I passed up a shot at a small 8 point yesterday now im kicking my self in the but it wasnt a qdm deer just need some support to know i did the right thiing

DeerCamp

RE: Bucks

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:59 am

Hey you did the right thing! That buck is still out there, and he's only going to get bigger. If he went threw your area once, he'll make his rounds again. You shouldnt be kicking yourself at all, you should be patting yourself on the back, for having your stand in the right spot to see such a nice buck. Then hopefully next year youll be thanking yourself you passed him up..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:36 pm

I passed up two decent bucks last year and afterwords was kicking myself for letting them pass. I even promised myself at the beginning of last season I would not get caught up in the 'big rack' mentality and instead shoot whatever walked in front of my stand and was big enough to shoot (not a fawn). But when those opportunities came to shoot, I let them go because I saw bigger bucks on the property and convinced myself at the time that those bigger bucks were worth the wait. I never did get another shot at the bigger deer. But now I am GLAD I passed on two smaller bucks because this weekend I saw one of the bigger bucks from last year and he is bigger (I am so excited I can hardly contain myself) and I also saw one of the two smaller bucks I passed on and this year he is nicer/bigger rack and most definitley a shooter. His rack filled out much better. I feel like my odds are now better this year of getting a decent size buck.

But depending on the day and my attitude, I might say "If it's brown, it's down" but I doubt it. I'll end up passing on smaller bucka (although I consider any deer a trophy) for the bigger bragging rights.

Good luck!

wolf60

Postby wolf60 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:56 am

I normally try to hold out for a certain size buck. I pass up alot of smaller bucks and have eaten my tag more than once.I am going to Mich. this year for a week, so I intend to shoot anything with a basket. I may not get back there again this year and I don't want to eat a $138 tag. Look at it this way, had you shot that buck, your season would be over. Now you get to spend more time out hunting.Good luck and hunt safe.[ And you never know, his daddy may be the next one to walk by.]

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Don't beat yourself up, Aftershock. You made a good early choice. I let a small 6pntr. walk a couple of days ago. I ate my buck tag last year, but I still had meat in the freezer from the early doe tag. If you settle for a smaller buck early in the season then the "HUNT" is over. The 'HUNT' is what drives us to sit all day in a stand, go to such extremes to be scent free, or study what makes a deer behave the way they do. Later in the season then you can be a little less picky.

twostep121874

Postby twostep121874 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:11 am

You know the taking of any game big or small should be a honor and should be something you should be proud of.although i get caught up with the attitude of shooting the biggest buck in the woods too,be realistic with your expectations.hunting is about the hunt not the horns like the tv shows make it out to be.my only advice because this happened to me a few years back is make the hunt enjoyable whatever you end up harvesting and be proud of it.If you get caught up with trying to always shoot the biggest buck in the woods,you might end up eating your tag which is fine but it takes the enjoyment out of the hunt.after a few years of eating your tags you will want to give up hunting and god knows we need more people hunting than not.Be proud of your buck regardless of what anyone else thinks and it will make your hunt more satisfying.Good Luck!

bowhuntingbiker

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:54 pm

I usually try to hold out for a nicer buck up till the rut is over and then not worry about it anymore. By nicer I mean more mature. Woodlots here are 1/4 mile or more away from the next and most are small at best. Every animal I kill is a trophy, some nicer than others. If I eat a tag, oh well. I shoot a couple does, so I do have meat. I agree with whatever the person hunting decides. My 2 cents. Good luck to you all whatever you decide to do. Hunt hard, hunt safe, and enjoy every minute of it. BHB

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:23 am

Well I have past up this buck the last six times I have been out you can set a watch but when he comes out everyday at 6:30 just half to laugh evertime I see him

mossyoakcamoguy

Postby mossyoakcamoguy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:56 am

I see nothing wrong in passing on a buck early on. After the rut if you haven't harvested a big "satellite" buck, then it's pretty much any buck will do. Usually at that point i check body size instead of antler size.

Return to Ohio