COLD FEET!!

Scot

RE: COLD FEET!!

Postby Scot » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:03 am

The Ice Breaker boot blankets work very well,some hunters take their boots off,change into a very warm sock and put their feet in the boot blankets with a couple of hand warmers in each boot.Having a pair of dry socks to change into is a big difference maker.You can also put anti perspirant on your feet a product that is called lavilin is very effective at getting your feet to stop sweating.Dry feet are much less likely to get cold.
Lastly the more you can do to keep your core warm and your head and neck the less likely your feet and hands will get cold.

wack

Postby wack » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:37 am

I don't know about booties but I'll never use toe warmers, might as well go barefoot. Boots for extreme cold need to have space for the proper socks. Often it gets cold, you try to stuff an extra pair of socks in your boot, and being too tight the socks loose there insulating value and moisture wicking ability, not to mention cutting off your circulation. My warm boots are huge, water gets wicked to a pad under the foot bed, if I don't remove the liners between hunts, they don't dry. When full, my feet get wet. They're good for about 2-3 days usually. (My Rocky boots are only good for a couple hours and are not even close to being waterproof..)

I also really like Cabela's Ingenious socks. The heavy weights are awesome, will make what ever boot you're wearing that much better.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

coach

Postby coach » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Fasteddie.....I have a pair of those boot blanket.  Be careful....there is two kinds.  One of them is
very thin layer and is actually pretty good. You would actually increase your hunting by about 1-2 hours...no problem in cold weather. That exactly what you usually need that extra 1 hour of comfort.
The problem is.... you still get cold...cause you still sweat on your way to stand.

The other...I havent' tried yet....but I will soon....its made of a thicker material. Sort of like a thick
sleeping bag. Puffy...you know !!

I've used them twice for hunting...and twice for ice fishing.  I've seen the difference.  Its not magic...but it helps.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

leroy

Postby leroy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:13 am

I have always had cold feet until I bought Cabela's UltraMax Liners & put the heavy Ultramax sock over top making sure that the liner does not get pulled tight to my toes when I pull the Heavy ones on.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Fasteddie,
   I bought a pair of those insulated booties a few years ago. I put them on then put a chemical handwarmer on top of my laces, then zip it up.  Feet are toasty all day. Drawback is they are a pain to put on over your boots in a stand.  Also, you have to remember that your feet are MUCH bigger now, so don't go bumping them around in the blind. Hard to walk it too.  I only use them when it gets really cold.  It does solve the cold feet issue

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:05 pm

Basically there are two primary factors in keeping your feet warm on stand.

1. Your feet must be DRY. That means wicking type inner sock fabrics, and ABSOLUTELY NO COTTON!

2. Your feet MUST have good circulation. When I stand hunt in cold weather, I always use boots that are at least one full size larger than my regular "walking boots". And even with this, once I get on stand, I'll unlace them so that my foot could easily slip right out of the boot if I chose. Then and only then do I worry about insulation and/or auxillary heat sources.

Obviously you DO need insulation to keep the heat in, but NOT at the expense of decreased circulation. That will only make you colder. You're better off with only two pair of socks (one wicking liner sock, and one outer wool sock) and lots of room in your boots, than 3 pair with a cramped foot.

One time I got to deer camp for the second part of gun season (December), only to find that I'd left my pacs AT HOME!!! [:(]

I did have a pair of extra large rubber, buckled overboots. I walked to my stand in my regular hunting boots, and then put on another pair of wool socks...making it three pairs... I then wrapped my feet in layers of newspapers and put the overboots on while still giving my feet plenty of room, and it worked just fine! 

After that though, I bought an extra pair of pacs that NEVER LEAVE deer camp!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

metrx

Postby metrx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 am

I agree.  You need the sock you wear against your skin to wick moisture away from your skin...try a thin polypropelyne sock, then put on a thick over-sock (wool, synthetic, whatever.) 
Also, your boots can NOT be too tight.  Circulating warm air in the boot helps keep your feet warm, so be careful when you buy boots.  Bring the socks you will wear during hunting conditions when you try them on prior to purchasing and make sure they fit comfortably with room, as your feet will swell a little when you walk, especially if its a trek to your stand.
One last bit of info...wool is the only material that will still be able to provide insulating value even when its wet.

RubyCreekHunter

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:49 pm

[font=tahoma]I have the same problem.  My wife swears her feet do not get cold when she uses electric socks. 
[/font]

[font=tahoma]So here is what I am asking Santa to get me for Christmas - [/font][font=tahoma]http://www.thunderboltsocks.com/heatedsocks_sportsman.htm[/font]
These look like a pretty cool idea...till i seen the price...$200 holy crow!

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:43 am

1600 gram thinsulate boots, wool socks and toe warmers have worked well for me this year.  I hate cold feet.

ryrob

Postby ryrob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:19 am

I used to have the same problem and I bought a pair of arctic shield booties and they worked good . I let one of my hunting friend try them and he also went out and bought a pair and if it gets real cold after sitting 4 or 5 hours I just put hand warmers in them for awhile and they warm right up

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing