Trespassers

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
tbone

RE: Trespassers

Postby tbone » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

I purchased my first piece of land about 4 years ago. the adjacent property was and still is being hunted by a guy that also had permission to hunt the land I purchased. The first season rolled around and sure enough there he was, on my land. his explanation was that he was retrieving his treestands, I explained to him that the land was for sale for over a year and he should have retrieved his equipment at the time that land went up for sale. I was very firm but fair, I accepted his excuse and asked him not to return, have not had a problem since. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Awfully funny that he was retrieving his gear in full cammo with bow in hand.
Hunting safe, all the time.

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:12 pm

I got some new land to bow hunt in April 2007. When I asked the land owner for hunting rights he was more than happy to let me hunt it, but said he knows there is some tresspassing going on. He is a farmer and has no time for hunting so he hasn't been on it for years. When I went scouting it out the first time I found 6 different tree stands. I pulled them all down and took them to the farm. ( farmer was shocked it was that bad) I also posted a sign on each tree where the stands were stating this was private, posted land and if they wanted the stands back they could call me and I would meet them to return the stands. Strange, but I never got one call. All the signs I hung were gone though. I also had the land owner sign a bunch of posted signs and I peppered the fence lines. I am sure they "step" across the line fence once in a while, but for the most part they leave me alone. I also live in a small town and I spread the word that we will press charges if we catch anybody. So far so good!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:01 am

69Viking ...It's just crazy here....problem is the new piece is so long....1/2 mile that I have on just one side 5 ppl that border us ...but the last person has a "trailer park" down at the other road we own on...that is where most of the trouble is....it adds a cluster of 5 more that borders....then on the other side I have a guy that owns all along us...he isn't a problem...and keeps an eye out and on the back side.... a farmer who leases and that is a group of out of staters and 4 others...8 all told...they are night sneakers and after hour shooters.....My next stop will be the local dinner and the hunting camp...those guys were the ones that got me to place the chicken coop where it is....I'm actually thinking of fencing and getting...calves...sheep..who knows...if I have problems...[;)]

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:00 pm

timer

Postby timer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:52 am

We have a lot of road hunters in the isolated area along the Cumberland River where I hunt. For the past two or three years I've set my blind on a ridge where I can see the trucks as they pass by - but in an area where they won't see me. I write down a description and the license number of each vehicle that passes by with road hunters and pass this information along to the local Game Warden at least a couple of times during each season.

Along a different stretch of property we've had the fence cut several times by road hunters who will kill a deer, cut the fence and go out on the property to fetch it. This happens a lot - in season and out - so what I've done is to set the fence back about 20 ft and allow vines and briars to grow up between the property and the road. If they want to get in the field they have to either go through briars or a locked gate. As an added bonus this provides good habitat for rabbits and other small game.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:07 am

I personally posted signs around our property stating. 

1. "Trespassing will not be tolerated, violators will be shot on sight, survivors will be shot again"

2. "If you can read this, you are trespassing and in range"

3.  "If you've ever wondered about whether or not there is an afterlife for trespassers, your about to find out"

4. "Posted:  No Hunting, No Fishing, No Nothing, Go home"

5. "No Trespassing, unless you can run at least 1750 feet/second."

6. "Prayer is the best way to meet the Lord, Trespassing is faster"

7.  "Caution, Property is riddled with Bear traps, enter at own risk"

8.  "Forget about the dog, beware of owner" with a picture of a rifle of course.

9.  "If you can read this your trespassing, blink twice if you would like flowers on your grave."

I'm lucky to have a cousin in the sign business.
This usually keeps the riff raff out. But every once in a while you get one of those foolish ones.!!! [:D]
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:20 am

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

1. "Trespassing will not be tolerated, and will be shot on sight, survivors will be shot again"

2. "If you can read this, you are trespassing and in range"

3.  "If you've ever wonder about whether or not there is an afterlife for trespassers, your about to find out"

5. "No Trespassing, unless you can run at least 1750 feet/second."

6. "Prayer is the best way to meet the Lord, Trespassing is faster"

7.  "Caution, Property is riddled with Bear traps, enter at own risk"

8.  "Forget about the dog, beware of owner" with a picture of a rifle of course.

9.  "If you can read this your trespassing, blink twice if you would like flowers on your grave."

I'm lucky to have a cousin in the sign business.
This usually keeps the riff raff out.

Good for you dmcianfa!
I will never hunt posted land, and if someone won't let me hunt on their land, after I have asked permission, that is their right, and I will respectfully move on.
Trespassers make us all look bad.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:49 pm

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

You might want to check with the Michigan DNR on #4

By stating no hunting or fishing. I was told by the DNR that even the land owner and guests can't hunt or fish on the property. I would just post no tresspassing every 50 yards.
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:50 am

If I posted "NO BREATHING "signs on my property would the Michigan DNR enforce that?

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:39 pm

ORIGINAL: Ohio farms

If I posted "NO BREATHING "signs on my property would the Michigan DNR enforce that?

HEY I'm just passing on information that I was told. Maybe you can call them and ask smart guy.

Law Enforcement
517-373-1230

Don't blame me for this stupid law, the anti hunters started it.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices