Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
dewey

RE: Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Postby dewey » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:12 pm

I used yardage markers this spring turkey hunting by putting sticks in the ground at 30 yards or so from my Turkey blind. I have also used Google Earth to measure distances for the areas that I hunt regularly. I also bought a Nikon Riflehunter 550 rangefinder for elk hunting this fall and I am using next weekend in NW MN during an early antlerless deer season.

Good luck to everyone else.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:39 pm

I had good intentions of using some of those burried cable flags, but never got around to using them.

I do, of course, use my rangefinder on several trees or landmarks whenever I get on stand.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:17 pm

I used to pace it off 20 and 30 yrds and put a piece of florescent tape on a limb nearby, but since I'm hunting public land now and don't like to make my stands obvious I use my rangefinder when I get on stand.  Either method works well, the rangefinder of course is more accurate than pacing and quicker.

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:48 am

Rangefinder is the way to go. Either range certain landmarks right when i get in the stand, and if there is time, I will range the deer itself or where I expect the deer to be about when I take the shot.
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:46 am

I'll be using a rangefinder and measuring landmarks when I get up in my stand for reference when a deer comes by. I'm not good at guessing distances and I would rather not walk around the area to mark it off if I don't have to.

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:55 am

Bow - yes - color coordinated to my pins out to 40.  This is my first year with a bow so my distance judging needs some work

Rifle - no - with a 30 - .06 distance to 200 yards is fairly irrelevant
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:27 pm

I just watched a show recently and they used surveyor flags.  Wrote the distance with a marker on the flag, then posted them at various distances around his stands.  Like everything else, he did this very early in the year so the deer would get accustomed to them.  Another great idea!  I don't mark any distances though...I know most of my stands pretty well since I've been hunting the same ones for almost 20 years now. 
QDM!

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:17 am

Hey buckhunter...same stands same place or do you move them a bit?

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:25 am

Typically, I just ranged various trees around my stand.  But when my son began bowhunting, I marked those trees with a little bit of paint. 

dreamtm99

Postby dreamtm99 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:46 am

I have marked the distance using florescent marker tape, 1-strand = 1st pin, 2strands = 2nd pin and 3 for the thrid... this worked well when hunting the woods...

For field edges, I generally pace it out to about 30yards, and try to note landmarks at the range... If I had a rangefinder, I would use it instead(next purchase will be a rangefinder).. I like the survey flag idea for the fields, I think I am gonna try that.. They come in different colors, so I will haveto see if I can match them to my pins...

I have also been hunting the same stands for 10 years, no I do NOT move them, and have taken bunches of deer from them. I have one ground blind that has been a Buck magnet EVERY year, and this year is no different, check out the bruiser been coming to my locale below, caught him on my trail-cam, and see him most days in the feild...

Ray

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting