New to the forum...which cam to purchase?

seibelcrs

New to the forum...which cam to purchase?

Postby seibelcrs » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:44 am

I'm new to the forum and was wondering which camera is the best buy for your buck? Would like to keep it around $150-$200.

4khorn

RE: New to the forum...which cam to purchase?

Postby 4khorn » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 am

My camera, an old 35mm stealthcam quit working on me at the end of the summer so I am also in the market for a new camera with the same price range.  I am leaning heavily toward getting a Bushnell Trophy Cam.  They are compact, have a wide detection range, competitive trigger speeds, and claim an amazine battery life.  From what I've seen the pictures are pretty good quality.  This is the cheapest that I have found on the web other than maybe ebay. 

http://www.ambientweather.com/gs52093.html

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:20 pm

If I was looking to spend that kind of cash I would buy two Moultrie D40's, great camera for the money! $89 regular price with 1 Gig SD Card included, can be found on sale for less. Check out the review on this website if you don't believe what a good little camera they are for the money. You can also check out other camera reviews here. I would read reviews before buying any camera especially since some expensive ones can have slow trigger times. I have two of the D40's and won't even think about buying a different one since they are priced right and work great. Good luck!

Chasin Game Camera Reviews

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:35 am

I would do like 69viking said and read some reviews from chasingame.com

4khorn thats a good price for the Bushnell Trophy Cam! (I didnt look at shipping).

I have 2 Moultrie D40's and they are starting to crap out. For the price they are an absolute great camera for what you get. 

I purchased a Bushnell Trophy cam but I'm still not 100% sure on the rating I would give it yet. I should have done more field tests at home with it before putting it in the field to see for myself sensing range, IR flash range, ect. even though you can read the reviews for that.

I used Rayovac AA batteries and probably after a month and less than 150 pics the battery went from the full 3 bars down to only 2 bars. I was not impressed with that aspect but I put better quality batteries in it this time around and you save alot of money buying AA batteries. I didn't get as many pics in our clover/chickory field as I was hoping so I am going to have to put it back out there to see how it does with distances.

I dont know the price difference for the built in viewer or not (I looked it up along time ago and don't remember) but if I ever got another one I wouldnt pay extra for it. It is tiny and hard to look at pictures on IMO.

Let us know what you go with!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

seibelcrs

Postby seibelcrs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:13 am

I went out to Walmart last night and bought a Bushnell Trail Sentry...model 119305SC. It has infrared night vision, 5MP/3MP, Xenon/LED 45ft...has some nice features. I tested it in the dark in the house and in the light this morning. The pictures that came out looked like a negative? No detail...just like shadows? Is there something I'm doing wrong with the settings? The instructions were pretty simple...you set the date and current time. You set the time that it gets light and when it gets dark...High or Low quality...that's about it...any thoughts?

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:48 am

I use a Moultrie D-40 and love it.  These run about $100.  If you have a few more bucks to use, I'd go ahead and get the IR model.  Whether or not the flash of a camera permanently spooks deer is an ongoing topic, but if you can spend the extra money, get the IR then you don't have to worry about it!

Best of luck!
QDM!

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:07 pm

seibelcrs...read the reviews here's a link.   http://www.chasingame.com/home.htm 

If it was me I would take the cameras you bought back, probably nothing wrong with them but it sounds like you want a little more detail.
I had big problems with some Wildviews I had and I finnally got rid of those and now have three moultrie D-40's.  I have had no problems with them yet and 2 are almost a year old. GOOD quality batteries also perform and last in these as well. They are less than 100.00 anywhere and you can usually find better deals on them as well. here are a few pictures for you to compare...

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:02 am

I bought a Bushnell Trophy cam for around $200 at Cabela's.  So far I have no complaints with the cam but I've only had it for about 2 or 3 weeks.  It has everything I wanted in a cam.  Proclaimed long battery life, option for movies, fast trigger speed of about 1 second, control over trigger timing, IR capability and a small housing. 

I've already taken some pics of a few doe groups with the cam.  The one issue I had can be read about here:  http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=50037

Basically, the cam was/is sensitive to which SD card to use.  A bit of researched pointed to the Sandisk SD card as being the favorite so that's what I got. 

This is my first cam.  I would like to get two more cams in the future.  This would cover all my cam needs. 

cooter

Postby cooter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:16 pm

http://www.whitetaildeer-management-and-hunting.com/digital-trail-camera-reviews.html

Check out this sight and others before you buy. Hopefully it will save you a lot of time, aggrivation, and money.
I have had nothing but trouble with all the No Flash units I had. I would hope for the best everytime  I would go
check them. After a 2.5 hour drive to my hunting ground, most of the time there were problems.

marks070

Postby marks070 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:48 am

Hi I purchased the new bushnell Trophy cam in August and the pictures are great!The same batteries from august are still in the cam and I have over 1000 pictures!We have had alot of rain in missouri and it hasen't gave me a problem I can't wait till it gets cold to see if the batteries hold up.It uses 8 AA batteries.Also the card that comes with the cam DONT USE! It is junk I use kodak 2G and it works great.This was my first cam and I'm ready to buy another one for other locations where I hunt.Check this site out http://www.chasingame.com/ it helped me.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras