Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
Woods Walker

Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Everyone join in on this one. Let's share our ideas and experiences....

I like to wear knee pads when I still hunt or sit a natural blind. This way I am always ready to go to my knees to see under cover, or to further break up the human form when I stop.

I also wrap the lower legs of my pants with cord from my knees down to my pant cuffs so that my pants don't swish together when I walk. It also helps a lot to reduce the noise you make when walking by brush.

Anyone else?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bobow

RE: Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Postby bobow » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:15 pm

I am way too new to this but I hunt from a pop-up ground blind.

I make sure the bottom is cleaned out down to the dirt and pile that around the outside perimeter to help keep the scent or to mix if the thermals are working. 

I would think when I do move my feet around the fresh earth scent helps to cover.

Since the blind is black inside, I try to blend in with all black clothes, head cover & face color.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:35 pm

bobow: I live near Elburn, in Kane County. Whereabouts are you?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

bobow

Postby bobow » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:32 pm

I'm a couple miles south of Stillman Valley, not far from Oregon.  I am 5 miles straight east of the glowing twin towers in Byron.

I live right along the Stillman Creek and the neighbor has 13 acres of woods next to the creek that he lets me hunt.  I know it ain't much but it is a travel corridor surrounded by beans and corn.  All I have to do is walk out the door.  No driving involved  [:)]

It will be interesting this year with all the rain.  The crops may be in there come next spring [:(]

The only one I got last year was I happened to be out there when the combines to the south chased seven bucks into the area.  Only saw one doe the whole season.

I was going to try to go out in the AM if the wind dies down some.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:04 pm

I've got a tip but you're going to think I am crazy . I only tried this the first time out of desperation . With 4 days left till gun season I still didnt have my first buck . 
    I knew that their were bucks bedded to the north and east of where i set up on a log with some brush around it to help conceal my movement . I practiced all of the scent control that I knew and went in with winds out of the south west . Then I tossed a whole bottle of doe estrus all over the bushes that surrounded  me . I wanted to get as much scent in the air as possible .
    It worked so well the first time that I went back and tried it again . Both times I had a buck in front of me within 30 minutes . The key is you have to know your bucks are there and dont stay any longer than it takes for your doe estrus scent to dry up .  

Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:52 pm

Here's what might be the best sentence I ever wrote about anything, and it's about still-hunting:

[color="#006600"][size="2"][b]Abandon your normal gait and learn to move through the woods like ooze.
[/size][/color]
[/b] [size="2"]
[/size]
Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:50 pm

Woods Walker asked me to put this idea on the "ground pounder" thread.
When I hunt from the ground, I try to get to a high point on a ridge. I find a tree, and clear out a 3 foot area around the tree, so I can stay quiet. If I can't find an acceptable tree, I pack a small stool and do the same thing. This way I can stand or sit and do it quietly.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:17 am

I'm a couple miles south of Stillman Valley, not far from Oregon. I am 5 miles straight east of the glowing twin towers in Byron.

I bowhunt a place sw of Oregon by White Pines State Park. Lots of deer.

I'll keep tabs with you as far as what's happening when, rut-wise.

You know, I'm about an hour away from Oregon, and on most days I can see those steam columns!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:05 am

I have a question for all you guys....I'm new to ground/ground blind hunting.  I bought a couple blinds a few weeks ago and found the perfect spot for one of them.  This area has absolutely no mature trees...and is basically in an overgrown orchard.  To put my ground blind up though, I'm going to have to disturb and cut down some weeds/brush.  Yes, I would have liked to get this up this past spring so they have time to get used to it, but obviously that's not an option.  My question is, even if I brush it in real well, will this have an affect on the deer movements, expecially any large bucks using the trails close-by?  If so, I would probably wait and put it in there next year...I know there are a couple bruisers in the area and I'd rather not hurt things more than I have to.

Thanks!
QDM!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:19 am

I've done a fair share of ground blind hunting over the last couple of years.

I like to get my blinds set up weeks in advance and brush them in as much as possible.

Think of the orchard as their living room / kitchen.  If someone came into your kitchen and plopped down a new table.....would you notice it?  Would it make you nervous for the first time seeing it when you have the midnight munchies?

After awhile you'd get used to it.....

If it were me, I'd set it up mid day ASAP, then hunt it after a couple weeks.

Be sure to clear out any leaves inside the blind....and spray it down with scent killer.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Next

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking