Mock Scrapes

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Nighthawk

Mock Scrapes

Postby Nighthawk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:46 pm

I really want to utilize mock scrapes this year, and I'd like to hear some thoughts....
I have thought of using the Code blue buck urine drip early and start using or switch to the doe estrous around the 1st week of november. Does anyone have any advice on this, or the best way?? What scents work the best?

Thanks

GetDirty

RE: Mock Scrapes

Postby GetDirty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:00 pm

I use a drop time alot.  They work well.  They only last about a year but the proof is in the picture.  The scent that you use can be cheap urine, afterall the smell breaks down so fast it does not have to be great just often.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:33 am

Mock scrapes work great....Here is kind of a step-by-step process (rough draft) of how to go about it:

[ul][*]Find an area that has some good deer activity...Then go ahead and find a good, well-used trail. 
[*]Find an over-hanging branch that's along this trail.
[*]With rubber gloves on, grab a stick and scrape all the leaves away in a 2-3 foot diameter circle.
[*]If you want to use the scrape dripper, hang it above on the over-hanging branch.  If you don't use the dripper, you can keep on freshening up the scrape with the urine when you go out hunting.  If it's on a consistent basis, the deer can kind of predict when this 'new' deer is using the scrape, and they will try to show up at that time. 
[*]Set up your stand downwind from the scrape area where you think the deer will come.[/ul]
One thing to note, make sure you take your stick that you used to make the scrape along with you and dispose of it in another non-hunting area.

Mock scrapes can be a great thing to use in your bag of tricks...Research has shown though that about 85% of deer visit the scrapes under the cover of darkness, but you never know what's going to happen, so why not give it a try!  I'm a believer in them.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:37 am

Given how easy they are to make, everyone should at least try giving them a shot. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

hunter brandon

Postby hunter brandon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:18 pm

Its definately something to use, i've been using moch scrapes for a few years now and i set up a trail cam watching it and you would'nt believe the amount of pictures that i got once i did that. their curiosity gets the best of them after a couple of days and they have to investigate the smell of the new deer in the area. i started using them because my father in law is a guide in maine and he swore by them so i gave it a try and now i wouldnt hunt without making one. The best thing to do is fo outside your hunting area maybe out of town and find a scrape in the woods. take the licking branch off using gloves and put it in a bag, also get a ziplock bag and fill it with the dirt at that scrape to put in as your mock scrape. bring all this back to where ever you want to make your scrape and use a zip tie to put the licking branch where you want. the licking branch and the dirt has the scents of foreign deer and then they will visit that scape out of curiosity . try it and get back to me. Its worked great for me.

doit

Postby doit » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Mock scrapes are a must. and its never to early to do it. I started one end of august. i paw the ground with my foot and use whatever P i have handy. it took a weak for some reason before deer started to check it out, the first deer came a short time before i came back to freshen it up. after that. the pics show the activity. also one of the bucks started a scrape next to mine. I always make a mock scrape whenever i sit on stand. especially pre rut i find almost all the deer go to it even if i don't put any scent down. it works most of the time for me i think the spot is really Key.
Get dirty u got any day time pics of that buck or others?

Goose

RE: mock scrapes

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:03 am

To be honest, I just normally pee in them myself. Studies have been done using deer pee, human pee, and no urine; the human pee got just as many hits as the deer pee.

I have used code blue's products and had good results as far as getting good pictures.
[align=left] [/align]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Redarrow

Postby Redarrow » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:27 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

To be honest, I just normally pee in them myself. Studies have been done using deer pee, human pee, and no urine; the human pee got just as many hits as the deer pee.
I agree.  I read a scientific review of deer reactions to urine and reached the same conclusion; if anything, human urine just piques their curiosity.  

That said, I don't know why people bring urinals to their treestands.  If I have an all-day perch I just let 'er fly, and I've never had deer react to it.  OTOH, don't even think about dropping a deuce!
Central Wisconsin Hunter

elliot921129

Postby elliot921129 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 am

One of our neighbors goes out and almost everyweek he kicks around some leaves and dirt and pees in it. I always thought that would scare away the deer but if their is research behind that you wont find me buying $15-$20 dollar bottles of scent anymore.

Pink

Postby Pink » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:02 pm

Yep, scrape the ground up with a stick and let er fly. I have been doing that for a few years and it works just fine. Also, dont let people tell ya it is just the little bucks comin in to check em, Ive gotten some 160 and 170 inch pics from my camera over theese scrapes.

Next

Return to All About Deer Sign