Buying up last years scents.

smitty

RE: Buying up last years scents.

Postby smitty » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:21 am

Yeah, Im not sold,  Ive tried a lot of different methods and scents and I think Ill put them in the same receptacle as the heat seeking deer finders.  Maybe some of the problems with the scent are everybody and their brother are putting this stuff all over. 

That being said I might try wizzing in a scrape,  but Im not sure if I want to do it in my hunting area.

Has anyone herd of using cooking vanilla?  My wife was at a wild game dinner and Brent Henderson (she thinks) said he has had some success with a small dab on the bottoms of his boots.
"Freedom Isn't Free"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:52 pm

The still #1 P&Y typical whitetail, killed by Mel Johnson of Peoria, Illinois in 1964, was killed with the use of vanilla extract, which Johnson swore by.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

smitty

Postby smitty » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Thats good to know.  Ill give it a try and let you know.  Ive been thinking about some other stuff that might get deer interested or curious.  About the best thing I have come up with is apple spice.  Ive herd of people using apple juice.
"Freedom Isn't Free"

Hunting3

Postby Hunting3 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:40 pm

I have used scents in the past and had two bucks come running within 30 minutes of putting it out. I got one and it was a 9 point. Ever since then no luck and to me it seems that Im spooking them. Maybe I put to much out I dont know. But I have a buddy that let me in on his secret and his wall (to me) proves it. He told me after asking what he used over and over, told me he uses his wifes tampon. He said he would hang it in a tree like a scent wick. He also said everytime his wife got a big buck she was on her cycle sitting in a tree stand.    Here is a funny.... I told a freind about it and he got his wifes you know what and tried it. He took me to where he was hunting and man he had saved a bunch of these things and hung all he had saved up and put in a tree. He had these things everywhere. I was scared to even get close. Bad thing was it was on my land. And yes I made him get all of it down. Anyway my buddy will rib ya but his wife confirmed and she dont lie. I have yet to try it. maybe this year!!!!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:25 pm

I have used scents in the past and had two bucks come running within 30 minutes of putting it out. I got one and it was a 9 point. Ever since then no luck and to me it seems that Im spooking them.

You know, I hear this a lot. What you've got to consider though, is that it's VERY likely that those deer were coming anyway. You really don't have real proof unless you could test those same deer, in the same situation, but WITHOUT the scent out.

I've had the same thing happen to me with the scent sticks that you burn. I had what I thought was them "working" twice, and then they never worked again. Looking back on it, those deer were coming in anyway, and I WANTED to belive that my scent lure had worked. Afterall, I'd just spent $20+ on them!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

WIBoyInMN

Postby WIBoyInMN » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:32 am

A couple points.  

First, there was a lot of talk about Urine vs. Urea.  Even if you purchased pure Urine that was extracted from doe, once you use it, it will start breaking down into Urea.  Therefore there is not much difference with using products you believe to already be Urea and those which you believe are pure urine.  As Urine will probably break down into Urea before a Whitetail actually smells the scent you are using.

Second, many manufactures use watered down, urine from multiple sources, or synthetic.  None of those are bad, but none give you the realistic presentation everybody hopes for.  In some of my local sporting goods stores there are limited supplies of frozen urine captured from a single animal.  Either Buck or Doe.  It is more pricey, but you will get it in "yellow" form since it is frozen before it is broken down.  It is from a local company http://www.whitcombswhitetails.com/home.html and I plan on taking them up on their offer of allowing you to visit and see how it is done.  I know there is a place like this in Wisconsin as well.  Probably in every state there may be such a place as the use of real deer urine in this manor does not provide mass distribution or supply.  But you do pay for it due to that fact.  But again, back to my first point...it will just end up being urea by time a whitetail smells it. But it will be real urine, from a single source.
Block Outdoors Founder
http://www.blockoutdoors.com

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:18 am

Wow, this thread just keeps coming back. That is good thing cause there is a ton of good info on both sides.

Well since I started it I thought I should give my conclusion. I have sworn off urine based scents. Too expensive, too unpredictable, and too common. I have killed a buck this year by doing it the old fashion way, get up early, go in quiet, play the wind and sit tight. Nothing sexy, but it worked and I have enough money saved to buy my next archery tag. It worked for me.

However, I have not sworn off all scents. I plan on using some type of cover scent when I get an unpredicable wind while hunting a choice spot. I like the vanilla idea alot. I have some Moon Fire scent left over froma last year which smells kinda like licqorice. This will be for cover only and I will not try and set up any kind of scent pattern or use a hanger/dripper. Wipe on my boots and see what happens, but If I get one false or bad experience these will go in the trash too.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

jmarshall

Postby jmarshall » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:24 am

i buy all of deer scents from Mastins Deer Scents
its a private business not some big manufacturing company so y not help out the little guy
i have had the most success with these products over any other that i have tried
And it is a hunter that makes these scents.....

i could go on and on but check out the website and the pictures for the proof if interested

http://mastinsdeerscents.com/

best of luck to all

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:19 pm

ORIGINAL: Hunting3

I have used scents in the past and had two bucks come running within 30 minutes of putting it out. I got one and it was a 9 point. Ever since then no luck and to me it seems that Im spooking them. Maybe I put to much out I dont know. But I have a buddy that let me in on his secret and his wall (to me) proves it. He told me after asking what he used over and over, told me he uses his wifes tampon. He said he would hang it in a tree like a scent wick. He also said everytime his wife got a big buck she was on her cycle sitting in a tree stand.    Here is a funny.... I told a freind about it and he got his wifes you know what and tried it. He took me to where he was hunting and man he had saved a bunch of these things and hung all he had saved up and put in a tree. He had these things everywhere. I was scared to even get close. Bad thing was it was on my land. And yes I made him get all of it down. Anyway my buddy will rib ya but his wife confirmed and she dont lie. I have yet to try it. maybe this year!!!!

I have heard of people using the tampon/pad method and having success with it.  My best friend's wife was once on her cycle and walked down to get the mail and had a nice buck come out and grunt at her and followed her back to the house.  They also use to have a horse that would get all wound up if she was on her cycle and outside.

I always tell her I am  going to take her hunting with me so I can get a buck! [:D]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:18 pm

She rode her bike to get the mail? They must have had a long driveway........[;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

PreviousNext

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators