Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
John1961

RE: Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Postby John1961 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:12 am

Great trail (tread). The last 5 or 6 years I have had a lot of lower back and knee pain. May be I'll get it looked at one day. So I bought a ground blind and really like it. On rainey days it beats getting soaked. Any way when I set it up I clear all leaves sticks and what ever around the area I set up that way when I'm in side I don't worry about the leaves making noise when I move around. And don't forget several states now require some amount or hunter orange placed on your blind when you using it. I have an extra vest I lay on top of my blind. I also set up a few weeks before season to air it out and let the deer and other critters get used to seeing this new addition to there living room.
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

ChuckNorris

Postby ChuckNorris » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:25 am

Even the best still hunters will jump a deer from time to time. The key is to "jump" them, not "run" them. I have harvested several deer after "jumping" them by using a retreat type technique. If you "jump" a deer in heavy cover don't go over it. It is already spooked and you risk making this deer "run". I have found that a "jumped" deer in heavy cover will not go very far at all. Know the property you are hunting!!! Predict where the deer will go. Many times they will lay down for a couple hours if it is the middle of the day. Set yourself up on a clear shooting lane that you expect the "jumped" deer to cross and be patient. I prefer this lane to be 50-100 yards from where I "jumped" the deer. Best success seems to be late afternoon when the "jumped" deer begins to head towards their feeding area. Just remember don't get discouraged after "jumping" a deer. You now have the advantage because you know its location. I have even gone to lunch and returned in the afternoon to setup on a deer that I jumped in the morning. And I shot that deer less than 100 yards from where I jumped it hours earlier after it got up from laying in the thick woods because I didn't proceed after it.
It only takes one deer to change a hunt from disappointing to very satisfying.

John1961

Postby John1961 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:53 am

Lever action 30-30 Marlin in my choice no matter when I'm hunting
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:54 am

I agree 100% with the jumped deer statement, I've generally found a jumped deer will watch it's back trail and if pursued is gone. Staying put or backing out is the way to go.

postman

Postby postman » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:51 am

I sometimes carry a tree seat, while I'm still hunting. It is adjustable to fit different size trees and has straps just like a back pack. It works really well when used with a natural blind.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Lessons learned today:

1) When you feel you should move, wait...
2)Before you move, look and listen, then wait

Can anyone guess what happend to me today twice within 20 yards and 1/2 hour?
South Carolina Low Country

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:08 pm

Lessons learned today:

I'll try.  You were busted by a skunk and a gorilla [:D]

Lessons I learned on Wednesday

Hunting in a ground blind that is black inside.  I use a Copper John Dead Nuts (love the name) sight.  Even though it was legal shooting time, it was cloudy and I could not see the sights and they were not illuminated to take a shot at 7 yards.  Trying to see the sights against the brown background just didn't work.

I didn't take the shot on a decent doe.  I am bummed I missed the opportunity. 

I was able to call her in with fawn bleats so that was encouraging.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:21 pm

ORIGINAL: 1Morgan

Lessons learned today:

YUP! Been there, done that........

Here's another way to look at it......only move when you have a specific REASON to move. And having to meet your buddy at the old dead oak in a half hour, or having to be home in 2 hours to go visit Aunt Melba with your wife, or Heaven forbid go wallpaper shopping is NOT a specific reason to move.

When you are still, YOU have the advantage. Whenever you move...for ANY reason, then you are compromised. Only give away your advantage for a good reason...a REAL good reason.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:10 pm

I am still learning the whole art of stalking/still hunting and these are some great tips. 

I was reading a story by David Petersen in the latest Traditional Bowhunter magazine and found what I feel is one of the best tips (for me anyway).

"Don't try to walk and look at the same time."  He says to study the ground infront of you if you are moving, and your surroundings if you are not moving.  Seems everytime I end up making noise I am trying to do both.

Just take your time.  Deer are not on the clock, and don't care about time.  ( I know it is not always possible, but keep it in mind.)

Thanks for sharing everyone!

Happy Hunting!

John
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:50 am

Great points Allegan. And as you said, "take your time". That's what it's all about. You don't want to move until you have a reason, and you KNOW WHERE YOUR FEET ARE GOING. When you do move your eyes need to be looking around you, not at your feet.

With good footgear, you can also many times slide your foot forward as you feel the ground without looking down if your just trying to shift your weight from one foot to the other.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking