Fusion by Federal

Hog hunter

RE: Fusion by Federal

Postby Hog hunter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:54 am

I have found that Hornady ammo is less money then Federal even the Fusion. At least for my 280

Hog hunter

Postby Hog hunter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:49 am

Guess not many use this forum

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:31 am

ORIGINAL: Hog hunter

Guess not many use this forum

Some topics seem to die quicker than others. As for Federal ammo, I use a fair amount.
I shoot the Fusion out of my .308 and it prints about 1 1/2" off the bench at 100 yards. I would like to tighten that up a bit with handloads but have not found the time to tinker plus I moved and have no quick access to a range now. For the price I believe the Fusion line is a real value.
I love Federal's new heavy weight turkey load line. I'm a 20ga nut and currently shoot their #6's but will be testing their #7's(hopefully soon).
I shoot Federal Barnes expanders out of both my 12 and 20 ga slug guns but the 20 is not a dedicated barrel like the 12 and it needs some tinkering.
So tell me about your .280 as I have one being built on a older Ruger 77 action with the tang safety. It will be coming as an Ackley Improved. Have you handloaded for it? Nosler can out with two factory rounds for the .280AI in 140 & 160 grain accubonds. I don't believe you have an Ackley Improved but the difference is just a sharper shoulder angle at the neck and slightly more powder so I'm interested in if you ever tried the accubond round from your gun.

CB

Hog hunter

Postby Hog hunter » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:39 am

I bought this Remington Mountain Rifle 280 caliber used. The previuos owner never said was a problem grouping better then 3 inches at 100 yards. I got it doing 2 inch groups at 100 yards but couldn't do better. I thought maybe my scope I have the Leupold vx3 3.5x10x40 on it. So took it to a gunsmith barrel needed to be refloated. Went back to the range was doing 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. So I sighted in 2 inches over bulls eye so be right on at 300 yards.. Still wonder why I did that. Since hunting Florida and never had a shot over 160 yards. I wanted to hunt a hog and see how it does. Never used Federal before and never used Fusion. I always hunt with Hornady for my 243 or 308. Both dead bulls eye at 100 yards. First hog to come out was a 200 pound sow with a small boar. The boar wouldn't let her stand still. Then finally she did I tried for a head shot but missed by 1/2 inch. Guide saw the mud fly. Then about 30 minutes later 10 hogs came out. There was a 100 lb or so boar. But he wanted to mount the sows. Never a clear shot. Then a spotted sow moved away from the herd. I took my time put the cross hairs on her shoulder and shot was a heart shot she still ran about 15 yards. I blew her heart up and took out far shoulder. I never seen such a blood trail as she left. looked like someone turned on a faucet was so much blood and hogs don't bleed that much. Now ready for my deer hunt and taking my 280. This is my first Remington rifle I use Rugers. Was going to by a Ruger all weather in 280 was $700 the Remington was local lot cheaper. Now every one wants to buy my rifle . The 280 caliber is not popular at all here in Florida

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:33 am

It's not a popular round anywhere but it has great potential especially handloaded. It was Remingtons answer to Winchester's 270. Sounds like you got a shooter. Remington makes a quality gun. Mine was built on a Ruger action because I happened to pick it up cheap and had my gunsmith rebarrel it. He suggested the .280 as it was a long action that I purchased and this round in the Ackley Improved closely mimics the 7mm mag with less powder and about 17% less recoil. I was supposed to go the Nebraska in 2010 which is why the gun was built but right now that's on hold for several reasons(none of them mine). In any event congratulations on your successful hog hunt.

CB

Hog hunter

Postby Hog hunter » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:11 am

My friend has hunted Alaska for moose. with a Mountain Rifle in 280. Hunted sheep in Montana and did a 350 yard shot on a ram. Shot black bears in the North East.I'm impressed with this 280. I use Ruger in 308 and I have the Ruger#1 in 243 both shoot great.

Hog hunter

Postby Hog hunter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:20 am

The 280 was the 7 mm mag special. The 270 is not in the class with a 280. I only shot Remington 165 grain soft point. Never did better then 2 inch group. Then tried Fusion was only ammo I could find local. I shoot using a rest at 100 yards with mine and do 1/2 inch groups. Once I got the barrel refloated. Once the Federal ammo is gone I still have 3 boxes I will go with Hornady 139 grain sst. If you do a search on the Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 caliber. You should find Chester Cupp's web site on the 280. Chester is very knowledgable on the Mountain rifle in 280 plus has tried different loads and has what he thinks is best to hunt with. Chester has guided me with the 280. My 243 and 308 I shoot Hornady.

RaymondS

Re: Fusion by Federal

Postby RaymondS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:38 am

Nice post!Deer hunting can be an exciting hobby and yield plenty of delicious meat. In order to hunt deer you must first have a license and be very quiet. A deer blind is a useful tool to have, simply hide in the blind with a gun or bow and arrow and wait for deer.See more at:Weapons to buy right now

Previous

Return to Ammo