Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
ranwin33

RE: Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:01 am

I don't for myself, but have for my brother. 

He constantly talked about all the deer he was seeing, but all were too far to shoot with a bow.  I finally asked him to show me how far away these deer were from his stand.  When he did, I put a range finder on the distance and all were within 40 yards, and most within 30 yards. 

So we put out orange flags at 20-30-40 yard distances; now no more excuses that the deer were too far away to shoot.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Hunting Ohio

Postby Hunting Ohio » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:20 am

[font="times new roman"]I pre mark alot cause i have a younger brother who hunts from my stands.[/font]
"Cant get the big one if you dont pass the young ones"
Hunt safe and good luck!

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:26 am

I only mark distances in the open fields. Much harder to judge when there are no reference points. As far as the rest of my stands, I dont mark anything since ive been hunting from them for 20+ yrs. I dont own or use a rangefinder just yet either. pretty good judging distance out to 40 yrds. Its the stuff much greater than that, that I would like a rangefinder for (gun season).
Venison - the other red meat

tjmeyers

Postby tjmeyers » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:59 am

For deer hunting I use a range finder to range specific landmarks.  For turkey hunting I use the turkey decoys to mark distances.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:14 am

ORIGINAL: Legnip

I marked one of mine this year, but typically I just estimate the distance.

Well after missing my turkey for turkey tortilla soup. I went and bought a range finder yesterday. I just kept thinking what if it was a 10.
From those who much is given, much is expected

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:20 am

I use to use thumbtacs on trees to show distance I would use the same colar tack that I had on my site pin.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:51 pm

I was watching a hunting show one time (I forgot which one it was) but this guy was hunting an open field and to mark the distances he thought he would be funny by picking up a big ol' log and putting it in the field. Well the deer knew this thing wasn't suppose to be there and when they came in the field they stayed away from it. The show went on to then pick fun of this guy and say he learned his lesson.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:59 am

Years ago I marked my shooting lanes on my permanent treestands  at 20 and 30 yds with red tape close to the ground.  Now after looking at them for so long, I dont need them, but friends who hunt there find them helpful.

thebaran12

Postby thebaran12 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:46 pm

i cut plastic bags and tie them to trees at 20 25 or 30 yards. seems to work well for me. a few times the deer actually stopped to play with them. at the end of the season i take them down.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:11 pm

Always, with a rangefinder
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting