Savage 20ga Bolt action

CB on the run

Savage 20ga Bolt action

Postby CB on the run » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:46 am

Anyone get their hands on Savage's new model 220F 20ga bolt action slug gun. I stopped at my local gun store yesterday and left my name as they expect a shipment within a week or so. The gun is based on their 110 rifle unlike the model 210 slug gun. I'm not sure what the rate of twist is but I hear that it should be perfect to stablize 20ga sabots. I do know that Tar-Hunt custom 20ga guns are 1:23 and Hastings went to 1:24 for their barrels.
Just got the call. It's in the shop. If anyone's interested I'll post my opinion after I look at it.

CB

Corey Graff

RE: Savage 20ga Bolt action

Postby Corey Graff » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 am

We're interested! Please post photos from the range - of you shooting, close-ups of the gun, use a variety of ammo and photograph the groups you get. Also let us know how you like the accu-trigger!
Corey Graff
Online Editor - Outdoors/Firearms
F+W Publications, Inc.
700 East State St.
Iola, WI 54990-0001
t715.445.4612 x13217

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:50 pm

After inspecting the gun at the gun store I decided to purchase.  I also purchased a set of standard Weaver bases.  The gun is actually based on the Savage 110 long action.  I had a Leupold 2X7 at home not doing anything that I planned mounting to this gun.
The gun is very well balanced and I like the feel compared to the 210 that I sold several years ago.  However, I was surprised at how dirty the barrel was on the initial cleaning.  My second surprise came when I went to mount my Leupold compact 2X7.  There is no way with standard bases because of the long action.  I thought I was going to have to purchase yet another scope.  A phone call to my gunsmith brought some hope.  He was anxious to see the gun and told me he could put that scope on most anything.  So the gun is currently at that gunsmiths'.  He gave her a gander and liked what he saw.  He said that the barrel was very nice and the accu-trigger was about perfect.  He did not see the external adjustment screw common to the accu-trigger though.  He said that the rate of twist is 1:24 which is needed especially for the faster sabots.  He currently has 2 on order for himself.  Once I get the gun back I'll take some photos and report on the range session.

CB

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:17 pm

Holding my breath for your report, sounds like an interesting gun. Nikon Slugmaster scope would make it near perfect for a youth hunter I am thinking?

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:19 am

I'll check the length of pull when I get the gun back. I love Nikon scopes and I am sorry that I sold my 2X7 with my old muzzleloader but the buyer would not take the gun without the Nikon scope.
If your young hunter is going to be hunting other species beside deer, you may want to consider one of the youth model combo's from Remington or Mossberg. If not or if he/she already has a scatter gun, yes this maybe the perfect gun. I can tell you it has a better trigger than my Browning and Remington slug gun that have been 'worked'. With it's dedicated barrel, the bolt action format, and the 1:24 twist it should be a shooter.

CB

Buckbuster

Postby Buckbuster » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:45 am

Just picked up my 220F from Cabelas, looks good so far.Put on a Leopold 2 pc base and med rings with a Leopold 3x9x40 Rifleman shotgun scope. Savage is recommending 3 different slugs. Federal Barnes expander 3", Remington Accutip 2 3/4 and 3". I'm going to try Hornady SST's first. Anybody shooting this gun yet and what slugs are you using?

Coach20wins

Postby Coach20wins » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:03 am

Good Morning All,

I picked up my 220F on Friday, along with about $100 of ammo at dealer cost. Ready to rock, right? Wrong. The dealer pulled a set of bases off a Savage 110 on his shelf, and we didn't look closely. They weren't correct. Walmart (not my favorite gun emporium) to the rescue with a set of 2 Weaver #46 bases. Mounted bases on shotgun, pulled Leupold VXII, 2X7-33 Shotgun scope out of box. As we all NOW know, the action is too long for that scope with standard bases.

Long story short, nothing accomplished this weekend. I'm calling Brownells this morning to get a set of Warne extension bases for this puppy. A long extension for the front and short extension for the rear. The scope has Warne rings on it, so that should work. Hope to have it ready by Friday. But This weekend is early muzzleloader season, so unless I score early, it'll be 2 weeks before I can file a range report. I have Remington AccuTips, Federal Barnes Tipped and hollowpoint and some Winchester silvertips. I will also likely try the new Winchester Dual Bonds.

General impressions: I like the 220F. Finish is a little rough, and fit is not close. But it handles nicely and the Accutrigger breaks nicely at about 3 lbs. I was concerned about finger access with heavy gloves through the trigger guard, bit I usually use the peel back type of mittens anyway. After shooting, I may think about filling in some of the forend stock with bedding glass (still maintaining the float). This will add a little weight and allow less water to accunulate there. I want 2" groups at 100 yards (or better), and if I can do my part, and the gun delivers I will be VERY happy.

More later,
Coach

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:24 am

Coach,
My gunsmith put on the Weaver 440's(I think) facing each other. They are a little longer than the 46's. He was able to mount my Leupold 2X7 compact. He shot the gun with the Barnes tipped expanders and got a 2" group at 100 yards. I didn't like the Leupold on the gun so I switched scopes taking a Burris 3X9 ballistic plex from my Rem 760 pump. I have yet to shoot it as I'm back at work. He told my to be prepared to work the bolt all the way rearward or the hull will not eject. I still looking for a local retail for the Remington accutip slugs. I have a supply of Hornadys and Federal Barnes regular expanders. I also like to try Winchester Golds since I heard some good reports on this forum. Good luck with yours.

CB

Buckbuster

Postby Buckbuster » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:24 pm

This Gun shot great first time out. I only had a 50 yard range to work with. I called Savage on Friday and asked if SST's would be ok. I was told that the 3 rounds mentioned in the little booklet are the rounds they used to funtion test the 220F. SST's would be fine. I used Leopold/Savage  110 round receiver mounts and med rings. I hand lapped the rings first, took about 15 mins. I did change to the Leopold UltimateSlam scope. I did bore sight prior to the range trip. It took 3 rounds to get me dead center and 1 more to go up . I used the top of the crosshair at 50 yards. I flinched the first round and was 2"high and left. After that 5-3 round groups all touching the same hole. I'll won't be able to get to a 100 yard range until next week. But as of now i'm using the 220F during Illinois 3 day shotgun season. Very little recoil and as accurate as my Marlin 512 Slugmaster .. I'll post after next range day.............

Buckbuster

Postby Buckbuster » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:31 pm

I mounted the leopold bases with the adjustable one in the front and the fixed base in the rear, this allowed me almost 1 1/2 on rear movement of the scope.  I will post pics as soon as i can,hopefully tuesday sometime.

Next

Return to Slug Guns