Safety Harness

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
DeerCamp

RE: Safety Harness

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:16 am

Well I went out and got me on of the HSS vests.. I really like it as it has some big pockets for storing a few items, and it is very comfy. I have only wore it a few times.(I should ware it more.)  I think the only 2 downsides to it are, 1. it is pretty heavy, and 2. The strap on the back that you attach your dragging rope to for a deer, always seems to hit my tree stand seat making noise. Other than that I really like the thing. Im thinking of pinning down the "drag rope" so it wont hit the stand anymore.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:20 am

I really like mine.  It is a little heavy, but once I'm in the stand I really don't notice it. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:36 am

Here is a cool tip for those who have not already heard it. Get a real,  rated, climbing carabiner. A steel one, not an aluminum one with a flashlight in it [:D]

Clip it to your tether and scavange all your tree straps from all your old sucky harness systems. Then just leave the strap in the tree for the season, climb up and quickly and quietly clip to the tree.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:00 am

i always wear my HSS vest i used to wear the full body harness that came with my summit it was a pain to put on in the dark i labeled the straps to make it easier.by the way patriot you can have it if you want i dont wear it its in excellent shape and all you got to pay is the shipping,squirell hawker that caribener sounds good but leaving teathers up year round is not a good idea the weather will damage them and the rocking of the trees will loosen them up,it may be a good idea to use it temporarily when you first get up the tree while you attach your tether otherwise i wouldnt do it,but thats me do what you want
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:54 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

i always wear my HSS vest i used to wear the full body harness that came with my summit it was a pain to put on in the dark i labeled the straps to make it easier.by the way patriot you can have it if you want i dont wear it its in excellent shape and all you got to pay is the shipping,squirell hawker that caribener sounds good but leaving teathers up year round is not a good idea the weather will damage them and the rocking of the trees will loosen them up,it may be a good idea to use it temporarily when you first get up the tree while you attach your tether otherwise i wouldnt do it,but thats me do what you want

I am in no way recomending leaving them up year round. We take them down at the end of the season. Any tree strap that can't take being up for a month or two is not safe anyway. And the strap should always be checked everytime. The carabiner trick beats getting the strap around the tree and cinched up in the dark any day of the week. Plus, switching stands is that much easier.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:04 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

Here is a cool tip for those who have not already heard it. Get a real,  rated, climbing carabiner. A steel one, not an aluminum one with a flashlight in it [:D]

Clip it to your tether and scavange all your tree straps from all your old sucky harness systems. Then just leave the strap in the tree for the season, climb up and quickly and quietly clip to the tree.

I do this, but they do come down at the end of the season, and once it gets to be light out I do check them for squirrel damage.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

mitchwood

Postby mitchwood » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:50 am

I know this is an old thread, but preventing and educating yourself on how not to slowly die in a tree stand safety harness never gets old. I'm the son of Doc Wood, inventor of the Rescue One Controlled Descent System II Harness and I would like to introduce all of you to go to my fathers website and read his article on modern safety harnesses and how they are killing people every year. http://mountaineer-sports.com/suspensiontrauma.php

Dads harness is the best harness on the market now bar none.

Feel free to ask me any questions about dads products. Hopefully we can save some lives this fall...

Previous

Return to Tree Stands