The count down begins...

JOEL

RE: The count down begins...

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:03 am

mmmmm zuchinni bread,now i want to bake some fresh bread maybe banana? im thinkin of buying a cart i got a sled but wheels sound better.Im gonna try and convert one of those folding grocery carts,not sure if itll hold up
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

hunts2long

Postby hunts2long » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:00 am

One week to go and I will be out with the ML...state changed the DMU around this year so there will be NO late ML season where I hunt...depending on how I do during the season may look to hunt another area during late season....hunts2long

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:47 am

5 days....Mr Bs 93yr old Grand mother went into the hospital with several small heart attacks....going to visit today...She... up until now...... has been going strong...attending several Bridge games a week and traveling to tournaments....her sister passed at the age of 98 and was a spit fire up until the end...God bless her soul
We had plans to go to the camp Weds. and finish up some projects for the guys to gun hunt...build new ladders....move a stand one of the guys gave me...he hunted it once and was afraid...won't use a harness! 62 yrs old [>:]....well first he put it in a terrible place ...never put up a ladder stand before and came back with "left over parts"?...So MrB is going to help me move it ...to a great  spot and I'll see what he forgot to put on the stand ...think he lost some parts and know he threw away instructions...Old dogs...ha..ha ha...I have to finish dropping brush around the stand I used last year to shoot the does from...he use to use it but then it became over run and few shots available...well after all the rain ...no shots...I couldn't even find it.... the buckthorn and wild roses took it over...I'll fix it up and he can use it this year....they have until the Sat. before thanks giving before they can hunt....things will cool down before then after we clean it up...He's taken several nice 8pts from that stand with rifle.

I fixed my favorite stand again...looks like I'm going to have to dismantle it and move to the oak tree 15ft away....the stand was built in 4 trees years ago (something I never do) and the wind just hammers it...It is also 20+ feet tall and built right over a mound of kitchen table sized boulders...It's the only stand I have with railings....now it has 2 ratchet straps and a chain holding the one bad corner....and 1 ratchet strap and a chain on the other corner...the opposite end I checked and rechecked...it is actually in one tree but the tree has 2 main trunks...so the wind doesn't move it as much...all bolts and nails and spikes are looking good....Yes I always use a safety harness...but thanks to the guys my son doesn't[:o]Don't know way I like that stand so much...never shot a buck out of it...but I've seen some beautiful buck around it...it over looks a staging area and is infront of where 3 of my food plots come together...shot the first doe of the season out of it last gun season....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:43 am

3 days and we'll be hunting....MrB and I saw a fat doe eating on the edge of the corn Wed. morning when we went to camp.....He got the stove pipes all fixed and cleaned...He and dad made 2 new ladders ...that Dads hunting buddy and I put up and then I noticed dads tree stand had a problem( tree limb died and rotted) so I went back and nailed a brace leg under it....His buddy and I went down the hill and finished up around the stand I shot the does out of...I cut down the Buckthorn and wild rose brush and he and I piled it up ...then I thinned out the ash trees....I found a great rub right in front of the stand at 30 yrds...I'll let the area cool down for a week and then see if I can take a buck down there...His buddy has now reclaimed the area for the gun opener......

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 pm

ORIGINAL: JOEL

his is the first year im not chomping at the bit to go i havent done ANYTHING cept to get my tags,my pain is really bad this year and im just not thrilled,hoping that will change.i do know that being in the woods will do me alot of good,now dragging a deer on the other hand might just cripple me[&:]

Hoping you are feeling better Joel and you are getting out in the woods Image I find that no matter how bad a day I am having once I get up to the farm, about 45 minutes away, my head clears and I get "pumped".Image  I been working on expanding my tree house from a 6'x6' to a 14'x6' this summer and fall and really enjoyed that.  I was hoping to complete it by hunting season which starts tomorrow, but will have to finish to it next spring.  The platforms are up, so I can hunt from them, but the house I am still constructing in my garage, ref. the attached.  Once I get the house finished, I will break it down into modules and truck it to the farm.  For your viewing please, I am also attaching a foliage photo that I took from the tree house platform. Happy hunting, [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

ps - The system tells me that I can only load 1 fileImage, so I will send 3 more photos in another post. 
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

hunt4ever

RE: The count down begins...Post #15

Postby hunt4ever » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Joel, Per the subject post, here is another photo, two more to follow. The system is still only allowing me to attach one photo.  I am not sure if this limitation is new or it is my setup.  Does anyone know Image[size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

hunt4ever

RE: The count down begins...Post #16

Postby hunt4ever » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:40 pm

Joel, Per the subject post, here is another photo, one more to follow.[size="4"] Tom Mac[/size]

hunt4ever

RE: The count down begins...Post #17

Postby hunt4ever » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:52 pm

Joel, Per the subject post, here is the last photo.  Hope to find out why the limit of one photo per post and hope you enjoyed these, [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:19 am

24 hours to go!...good luck everyone!!!!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:38 am

pretty cool my wife called it a redneck duplex[:D],Im gonna try to get out there know once im there i'll be happy,i just dont like bow hunting in a rainstorm,makes tracking a bear and i dont like not recovering my deer.On the plus side the state land i hunt is trying a new program where you can drag a deer to a numbered location and the park people will pick it up and bring it to the check station.they also instilled a antler restriction that says the antlers have to be as wide as the alert deer ears ,not thrilled about that but maybe it'll keep some of the people away.as it stands now im going ill see what happens when i wake up tomorrow[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

PreviousNext

Return to New York