Internet deer check-in

User avatar
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Internet deer check-in

Postby upatreestand75 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:46 am

Is anyone else slightly troubled by the ODWC allowing deer to be checked in on the net?  How are they going to regulate the sex of deer killed?  I know some hunters are honest about it but, I'm concerned about the ones that aren't.  I'm afraid the 2 buck limit will turn into more than that for some.  Alot of guys never have to leave their property after the kill.  So what keeps them from saying their 100 pound forkie was a doe?  For the third or fourth time!  I could be ignorant of the details so if anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.  Personally I think we took a step forward on lowering the buck limit but, have we now taken 2 steps back?

Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:28 pm

RE: Internet deer check-in

Postby MoDeer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:36 pm

 Just curious before I get there . Are all deer supposed to be check by internet or will you still have check stations this year . 
 Here in Missouri we went to phone or internet checking a few years ago .We had the same doubts but it has not been that bad . 99% of the hunters are honest and the other 1% were going to be dishonest no matter how they had to check them .

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:18 am

RE: Internet deer check-in

Postby tbone » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:12 am

I agree with MoDeer, the guys doing it illegaly dont check them in anyway.
I drive right by two check stations on the way home from my hunting grounds, I always stop in even if I dont have anything to check, see whats going on, listen to some storys and see who's got the BIG ONE! 
Hunting safe, all the time.

Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:33 pm

RE: Internet deer check-in

Postby bigbuckdon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:29 pm

it is gonna make road hunting and poaching pretty easy i think. sure makes for tough hunting for the honest man.

Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:10 pm

RE: Internet deer check-in

Postby chedrick » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:46 pm

I see all sides to this issue.  For the land manager / deer manager, I think it is a good thing.  In NW OK most city hunters (no offense to anyone) hang out at the check station to see what comes in.  A lot of guys use this as a means to find "trophy" properties near where the deer was taken.  I lost a lease a few years back because of this.  Those guys are still hunting that place today.  I personally plan on using the net to check my deer this year just for convenience.  Which brings up my other point, convenience.  In NW OK and especially in the panhandle, there are limited check stations.  In the panhandle I think there are only 3 - 4.  The dept. of wildlife may get more deer checked by way of internet.  In turn, more accurate harvest totals, which could again increase our annual bag limit.  I guess time will tell...

arkansas bob
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 pm

RE: Internet deer check-in

Postby arkansas bob » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:47 pm

Arkansas has started the same thing this year too. Only clubs that are QDM check their own deer in on paper. Time will tell!
"Freedom of speech is ultra important so stupid people will make their stupid statements so we know how stupid they are." -Ted Nugent

Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:35 am

Re: Internet deer check-in

Postby roddd » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:43 am

i just dont like it.

takes all of the fun out of going to town to show off your hard work and love for deer hunting.

Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:35 am

Re: Internet deer check-in

Postby roddd » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:51 am

i spoke with the ODWC big game biologist about it a couple years ago.

he said the info from check stations had not changed by region over the past 20-30 yrs.

said no need to keep collecting the weight, points, age info anymore. just numbers of bucks and does.

Return to Oklahoma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests