Mock Scrape on Public land?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
AlleganBowhunter

Mock Scrape on Public land?

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Anyone ever try a mock scrape on public land? (Interested in more high pressure areas as opposed to big wood settings).  I think I found an area with lots of deer traffic but I think most other hunters (bow hunters) are over looking it.  

I am going to set up a mock scrape in the next few days, will let you all know how it goes.  I normal stick to a low impact type hunt on public, but want to try something different.

Any tips, ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

John
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

buckhunter21

RE: Mock Scrape on Public land?

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:49 pm

It could work...Why not?  Only problem, if you're hunting a high-pressured area, other hunter's may see this and set up shop on it too.  I think for public land, get as far in as possible...Go where most hunters aren't willing to go, then you probably can get away with no competition.  Also, I've heard of hunters in high-pressured public area's making mock scrapes in hopes that other hunters do hunt that spot so they have other spots to themselves.  Ethical?  Not sure.
QDM!

Bluegrass Archer

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:10 pm

If it wernt public land, i would think sure why not try some mock scrapes. Just that if other hunters are overlooking a spot, i dont want to give them a reason to set up shop in that spot, especially if its a spot where hunters could stumble into it. I think buckhunter brought up a good debate here, is it ethical to try and throw other hunters off with mock scrapes? I dont know, it would probably work but it is kind of a selfish move. I would hope someones not trying to do it to me, so i dont think i would try and do it to someone else.

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks guys!

Interesting about throwing others off.  Something I wouldn't personally do but will keep in mind when finding sign.  Time to analyze it more thoroughly. 

As for others finding it and hunting it, I guess I am too easy going but as long as they don't set up on top of me, I am not too concerned.  Yes they can contaminate the area, but they have as much right as I do to be there.

I usually get away from others and go deep as possible... but most the public land around me has roads/foot trails within 1/4 or a hair more.  I also think its important to look for spots others over look.  The deer will be there once they pattern everyone.   This spot is at the parking area of one of the largest uninterrupted areas nd is about 100 yards from the parking lot and 20 yards from the road.  Everyone I have seen have all walked back into the deeper part, skipping over this area.  The sign is ten fold what I have seen going deep.

Thanks again.  Anyone else have any tips, thoughts, idears?
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:34 pm

I think I read this in an article, but the story goes that a guy actually spotted a buck that was bedding fairly close to a parking area of public land.  The buck would simply watch as the hunters shuffled off to their destinations and was basically never disturbed by hunting pressure.  The author ended up killing the buck because he didn't overlook the spot.  There was another study that showed that a lot of deer movement occured along the edges of hunting areas close to roads.  This was due to the fact that most hunters walked in a ways before setting up shop, so the deer stuck close to the boundaries, because they had patterned the hunters and knew they were safe there.  So this goes to show you that you shouldn't overlook anything on public land.  The trick is to get away from other hunters, like the deer are doing.  If that means getting deep, so be it, but a lot of times, the real honey holes can be a stones throw away from your truck.

Croz73PA

Postby Croz73PA » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:27 pm

We bumped a beautiful buck to my cousin last year on the last day that was bedded 80 yards from the edge of a cliff next to the highway.  2 parking areas within a couple hundred yards and heavy truck traffic all day.  But i bet we were the first ones to disturb this deer once the season started. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:10 pm

I now hunt public land and actually made a mock scrape right by my stand.  Had the same concerns you did, but wanted to see what happens.  The public land I hunt is starting to get crowded.  On my last hunt I took some time to find some out fo the way spots only to find a stand in just about every one of them.  What i did notice is no one has a stand just outside the entrance and I think that's an area that has been overlooked, so I'm going to try that as well.  Something else I'm going to do is no longer hunt that area on the weekends, when the hoards of hunters flock the woods.  I'll now stick to weekday mornings when no one is there.

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  I feel most hunters are not looking much (I have been guilty as well) on their way out to the deep sections.

Since the "go deep" idea has been around for many years, it is very common for people to do so, which is fine.  Yet deer are very adaptive and learn to adapt to where hunters are not.  I like to say hunt where others are not.  Could be deep or could save you shoe leather and be close! 

hunt4fun:  I read the same thing, but can't recall who it was.

John in Michigan.

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:27 pm

Oh yea, I started the mock scrape yesterday midday, in a different spot than I had planned.  I will let everyone know how it goes.  I am not sure about leaving my scrape dripper out there, but maybe I will closer to the rut.  I used one of Wifey's hand held garden rakes, worked pretty well and already smelled like dirt!

Here are two pictures they didn't turn out too well... was trying to keep the buck pee on my hands from getting on the camera  (please don't ask Image. )

This is the area before: 

This is after me acting like a buck:

Has a nice licking style branch over it and area is rather open, but close to some thick cover.  Have a sweet pine tree to snuggle under about 20 yards away right off the trail.  Set up looks good to me, lets hope the deer agree with me!

Happy Hunting!

John in Michigan.

MI Hunter

Postby MI Hunter » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:12 pm

Be interesting to see your results.  I was going to try it myself this year but didn't get the time.  Tinks has a spray callled Power Scrape that is supposed to produce results.  

Next

Return to All About Deer Sign