No deer today

fasteddie

No deer today

Postby fasteddie » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:38 pm

Drove 45+ miles to South Bristol this am . It was drizzling rain most of the way and the same when I got out of my car . Hauled my gear about 1/2 mile to my spot .I had taken my Hub Tent Blind and used the red headlamp as it was pitch black out . I was set up by 6:30 am . It started drizzling more . I was 1/2 mile West of Canandaigua Lake . Just after 10 am , I saw 3 bucks together ( spike 6 pt & 4 pt ) . The 6 & 4 came within 10 yards of the blind and offered a shot . I was tempted but figured I would hold out for a bigger buck or take a doe . I actually felt good about letting them walk . Since we can only take one buck during A few years ago , that never would have happened . Stayed until about 2:30 when it started to drizzle again .
Why is it sometimes we can load multiple pics sometimes and only one other times ?

Semper Fi !

MSHunter

RE: No deer today

Postby MSHunter » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:00 pm

Nice picture.
Of the days I've been out so far, I've yet to see a deer. To compound the issue, the weather in MS has finally cooled off and I've been downed with either a stomach flu or food poising the last 2 days. I'm feeling a lot better today. I'm going out tomorrow.

mrk

Postby mrk » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:11 am

45 miles and didn't shoot the 6 you must have seen a monster on you property eddy. Here he's meat in the freezer  you will not find a deer bigger around my parts! with out fail the cityit's kill every thing in sight gun season around here !                          good luck to all may your arrows fly true and kill swiftly 

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:20 am

If a doe had presented a shot , I would have taken one . I have a month to take a buck with the bow and then if that fails , I always have the BP season to use the tag . I am not a trophy hunter but I don't care for the "if it's brown , it's down" thinking process . I might regret it as the season goes on but yesterday , I felt good about letting them walk . Since we can only take one bow buck , I feel I will wait for a Big one ............[:)]
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:23 am

Well Dad and I went to camp...opening day was great...4in of heavy snow and little flurries....I left camp at 5:30 and walked the mile to my stand...snow was crunchy under foot and the ladder and stand had a layer of ice under the snow...little wind...as it got light I found my self surrounded by deer...all 50-80 yrds out and there was a buck chasing doe...couldn't tell his size....they were in the tall weeds and dogwood brush...just yanking the leaves and berries off them....had a doe run her two fawns to me and a button buck stood under my stand for 10 min.....The after noon hunt we now had 6in of snow in stands.... I kicked up 7 deer near a wood lot stand...one was a pie-bald,,,then had another 5-8 feed by and then some thing chased another group of 5 out of the gully to me...the little spike buck ran to my stand and stood under me for a few moments
 All told 27 different sightings ...this morning ...I heard a lot but... saw none...home now and leaving for the afternoon hunt...sunny cold and no snow here......Good luck all...Badger

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:43 am

Sounds like a Greay Day msbadger !
Semper Fi !

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Congrats on seeing deer fasteddie and msbadger! I have been getting skunked so this season.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:25 am

Thanks reeper...yes Eddie but I am just not use to going out opening bow and have the weather telling me it's more like the second week of gun[:'(]...But It was way easy to see them all...If I could of had a gun [;)]..

Well yesterday I went out back in the afternoon...Mr.B was working out side with Angel and lost track of her....she didn't loose track of me!!....I returned her to the house ...not a happy camper[>:]....Went back out.... but very little sleep for about a week caught up with me and after nearly falling out of my stand ...enough was enough and came in to watch the rest of the B.Bills game...Gosh I got to see them win one[:D]

As you see I'm in early this morning....I went to a turnip plot stand...grass was frozen so crunch crunch crunch....kicked a deer out of the far corner...wasn't so stealth getting up ladder and settled [:o]...You know...that first week ...getting the bugs out thing...I no sooner sat down I hear crunch ..crunch crunch and at 5yrds I could barely make out the out line of a good sized deer standing broad side between 2 of the pines my stands nestled in.....I believe it heard the noise I was making...got caught up in some bramble...stand clanked...ect... and was bedded near by... it got up and came over to investigate...it checked around each tree and then walked straight thru the buck wheat stubble out to the turnips ...hung out until just before light and left....Right after light a nice sized spiky buck and his sister came in...he fed on bramble and came over to the pines under me..... circled and at 15 yrds(right where I set my target to practice) he stopped and whizzed...sis stayed in the turnips and the bramble about 20 yrds out....The town highway trucks spooked them and a half hour later I got busted by a very smart doe...she was in the woods 60yrds out and spotted me standing...damn!  Well that's why I have so many stands...I'll give that one a rest for a few days [8|]

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:29 am

Opening day became a nightmare for me. Didnt see a thing in the morning. Had a good buck (6-8 pt.) with a HUGE body come in just before dark. I only had seconds to judge and going by body size I guessed him to be at least a 2 1/2 yr. old. He saw me stand as he made his way to me. after a 30 second stare down he put his head down and continued towards me. As I came to full draw he saw me AGAIN and froze broadside but it was to late. 20 yards I let the arrow fly and I believe he partially ducked it. Got entry and exit and watched him take off like a bat out of hell. As my brother and I tracked him we found blood real high up on trees and brush with the larger spots of blood on the ground having bubbles in it. We started tracking saturday night for 2 hours before we backed out till morning. Got in yesterday at five after tracking him for OVER A MILE! Lost his trail in a full swamp.[:(][:o] I feel horrible. Thing only thing I can think is when he tried to duck and run my arrow must have hit high and only creased 1 lung. Been years since I lost one but man does this sting. Everything felt right when I made the shot and everything happened so fast I didnt even have time to get excited. There was nothing but a calm over me. But unfortunately this is one of the ugly things that occasionally happen during archery. I hope none of you have this type of experience. Sucks. Well thats it for me for now. Taking a couple days off to regroup then its back at the drawing board. Good luck to all. True flight and swift kill.
Venison - the other red meat

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:09 am

NYarcher...take heart...perhaps you just sliced the top of his back...just read on the photo BB...a guy shot a buck...tracked it and had to shoot it again...first shot was in the hind quarters and he saw bubbles in the blood as well...never know...sorry though...

Went out in the afternoon yesterday....just before the sun dropped below the ridge I saw a doe and fawn coming in...decided to stand and hope she came in close enough....stood still waiting and about 40 yrds out she looked right at me...I never blinked...she bounced...weaved...circled...walked away came back...sniffed and sniffed...then circled wide around me and head for the field.....She had been spooky from way out watching her back side.....Well busted twice so I have to say they have been shot at or bumped alot when I was at camp....waited until it got almost dark to get down and head home...150 yrds from the house...I bumped 4 deer in the woods and 3 in the field...the field deer and I snorted and stomped at each other as I continued walking....when I got to the porch...they where just walking slowly across the field....they'd never seen me...just heard me walking in the leaves..

We still have a lot of leaves on the trees...I'm holding off until the next real warm day and then will mow the trails..one last time...before the rut hits hard.

Next

Return to New York