Minnesota Archery Season Notes

Patriot

RE: Minnesota Archery Season Notes

Postby Patriot » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:49 am

Details....details.

I got to The Willow at about 4:30pm.  Took the long way in.  Changed my socks from thin liners to the woolies.  I use a ladder, but keep it stashed in the grass so the nearby public landers don't use it (The Willow) is right on the fenceline to a large tract of public land.

I was all set and ready to go about 5pm.  Saw this doe at about 545pm slowly feeding her way towards me from the swamp bedding area.  Finally at about 615pm she ended up straight downwind of me.  She actually crossed the path that I walked in on.  All the scent precautions and clothing paid off.  She did put her nose up and smelled something a couple times, but not enough to boogie out of there.  As soon as she stepped in my 17 yard lane, I gave a "mhapp!" and then took the shot.  Fortunately / unfotunately I spine shot her and she went straight down.  She was moving a little bit, so I ended it quickly with a well placed follow up shot.

I estimate she's probably a 1.5 year old.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:22 am

Well I flew into Minneapolis yesterday and drove up to Fargo to make some calls and didn't see a deer from the car all day!!! Beautiful country though!

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:11 am

From all the reports I'm hearing, and what I saw in SE Minnesota this past weekend, the rut is getting very close. I think with all this cold weather the pre-rut will start before the forecast Nov 2 date. Scrapes and rubs everywhere on my hunting land, and the deer are moving a lot!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:30 am

ORIGINAL: kribbz

Well I flew into Minneapolis yesterday and drove up to Fargo to make some calls and didn't see a deer from the car all day!!! Beautiful country though!

They must have known you were coming.  Smart deer here.[:D]

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:09 am

My hunting "blood brother" scored on this nice doe this last Saturday.  He was able to join me for the weekend at my in-laws farm.  Our plan worked like clockwork.  We located and prepped a tree for his climber stand just on the edge of a soybean field that I had been observing since the season began (but I don't use climber stands.....yet).  Rick made a perfect heart shot at 15 yards that evening and the doe piled up not more than 60 yards into the field. 

This was Rick's 2nd deer ever with a bow! 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:57 am

Very nice congrats!  TEAM MINNESOTA...Are you guys trying out for Dream Season! :)
QDM!

dewey

Postby dewey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:49 am

Good work as always Patriot.
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:43 am

Thanks bh21 and dewey.

Yes, we took the Team MN approach based on the Dream Season theme.  Here's a pic of the back of the shirts I had made up.  The colors represent a melding of our softball team colors (Rick and I happen to play against each other in our summer softball league).  That's how we met.

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:28 am

very nice guys!  I love the shirts.

Been seeing a whole lot of deer activity lately, except i haven't seen many bucks up and on their feet yet, but its almost time.

Another thing, craziest thing ever, my close relative whom i hunt some of his land seen the impossible this last weekend while out checking some fields for harvest. Anybody ever heard of elk in southwest minnesota?  Haha, i mean way southwest between marshal and wilmar minnesota.

Thats right a three by three bull was spotted by my relative one evening. Dont know if it down due to illness or what. we have had moose wander through, but this is the first elk that i am aware of.
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:14 am

Hey Blake,
I hunt in that area.  I hope I don't mistake that elk for a deer.  Wonder if he escaped from an elk farm or something.

I've see several young bucks this year (at a distance).  I hunt very open property and plan to get out in the swamp next week to do some hunting from the ground.

I've seen a little seeking activity recently.  A buck was recently spotted wandering by my work (metro Twin Cities) during the noon hour.  A good sign that the rut is imminent.

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota