Trespassers

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Ohio farms

RE: Trespassers

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:30 am

Hey Mag,
I didn't mean to offend you with my sense of sarcasm. If you heard the DNR make that statement I'm will believe it.  Maybe we should put it under "Dumb laws"
Again, it was not my intent to offend you. Sorry

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:38 pm

ORIGINAL: mag30079

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

I personally posted signs around our property stating. 

4. "Posted:  No Hunting, No Fishing, No Nothing, Go home"

You might want to check with the Michigan DNR on #4

By stating no hunting or fishing. I was told by the DNR that even the land owner and guests can't hunt or fish on the property. I would just post no tresspassing every 50 yards.

I checked this weekend with the DNR.  They stated that is a falicy.  The landowner can do what he wishes with the property as long as it is in accordance with state law.  If he posts no hunting or fishing, it is intended for potential outside trespassers.  According to my local warden anyway.  I like the signs the way they are.  would you be tempted to trespass seeing one of these?  I sure know I wouldn't, but if it was just a no trespassing signs I know a lot of people personally that would just blow right through them.  To each his own though
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:18 pm

No problem Ohio Farms, I agree it sure did sound like a dumb law.
Thanks.

dmcianfa, glad you checked, maybe I cought our local game warden on the wrong day. He did seem grumpy, but with all the cuts to our state I can see why.

In my area we have so many poaching Amish it isn't even funny. I've call several times and they keep saying we'll check in to it.

I guess this subject just struck a nerve with me. Last year we had Amish kids no older then 12yrs old push our land and every one close by back to there farm. No hunter orange no rules for there kind I guess, I've even seen there dogs push our land. I called 2 times and nothing has been done. Posted or not posted some just don't get it.

The other thing that I'm seeing alot of are the anti hunters buying up large chunks of land and posting no hunting or turning it in to a nature preserve. I tell ya we may not lose our hunting rights but we're sure loseing places to hunt.

I envy, the older generation. Our generation will never be as free to hunt as they were.
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:40 pm

ORIGINAL: mag30079

I envy, the older generation. Our generation will never be as free to hunt as they were.

I hear ya on that one!  The generation of my family before me used to do drives all over where we own about 100 acres for gun season after sitting for a few hours opening morning.  Now, theres houses where drives used to begin or end, and land is just not nearly as abundant.  It just isn't the same as it used to be, and it's scary to think what it may look like in another 20 years.

fixedblade

Postby fixedblade » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:15 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Huge, huge issue! Great question! To begin, with congratulations on the new spot. I've had some epic battles with trespassers myself and I'll do anything I can to help a brother out!

The good news is that trespassers are lazy. If they were not, they would secure legal permission just like the rest of us. A lot of times, if you can make it hard for them to trespass, they'll go somewhere else. Good fences and gates help a lot! Many of them will not get in beyond what they can easily drive to.

The bad news is that they do not respect the law. We already know that. But they can be made to respect the consequences. Call the Warden or Sheriff every time, no exceptions. In fact, call the Warden in advance and let him know of your concerns. Ask him to stop by for coffee. Make sure he knows that he can rely on you for tips about poachers or other law breaking. That relationship will bring him around and get get the trespassers thinking twice.

Another thing that may help are cameras, and even more importantly signs that warn of them. The camera that they see will get stolen, but the camera they cannot see, but are warned about, may scare them off.

Now here is my biggest caution. Do not get too wrapped up in it. When you confront them, be very polite and never get into an argument. That is how people get killed. Simply explain your right to the lease, take down information and report it to the authorities. And never, never put out tire spikes, booby traps or fire warning shots into the air! As much as I hate trespassers/poachers, it is not worth hurting someone over and innocent people do sometimes make mistakes.

Sadly, these guys will always be with us to some extent. I have allowed a rogue boot tracks to rob me of the enjoyment of a hunt. Don't do that to yourself. Be firm and vigilant, but accept what you cannot change.

Good luck and enjoy the lease!

JPH I could not have said it any better. X2 from me.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Your buddy and his family have legal recourse for slander.  It might not get them anywhere as far as damages, but a lawyer could probably send the other guys a nastigram and get further slander stopped.

Additionally, I'd take extra precautions to make sure these people know they are not allowed on the property without prior permission. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:01 am

don't worry about it they have no proof if you don't have proof you have nothing in the laws eyes been there and do what shaman said
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

kellory

Re: Trespassers

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:45 pm

I was hunting private property with written permission and the full knowledge of the owner, when the rear neighbor approached and ordered me out of the tree stand at gun point. He was upset, armed with a 12ga pump, and red in the face, I was bewildered, armed with a crossbow, and had no idea what had him upset. The tree I was in had a permanent stand and was right on the borderline. the majority of the roots were on his side, but the stand and the ladder were on the property I had permission for. Both properties bordered a state nature reserve, and an excellent location as deer had been leaping the fences in front of me all morning. He said I was hunting his property without his permission. I told him I had written permission, but would leave right now if that would calm him down. I showed him my permission slip, and told him the stand was clearly on this side of the fence, and that I had no intentions of crossing his fence for any reason. What I did not know was these two neighbors had a feud going on! And I was on the borderline between them! I packed up and left, but by that time, and with some calm conversation, he actually told we I could come back after gun season and hunt his side! That was an experience with a large pucker factor, and not something I ever want to repeat. I make a point of meeting the neighbors now and asking for permission to pursue. Most of the time it is a yes, but at least they know I will be there with permission.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:16 pm

My favorite sign reads" WARNING- TRESSPASSERS WILL BE PROSTITUTED (this is not a misprint!)" :lol:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:20 pm

I like......

"WARNING.......TRESPASSERS WILL BE VIOLATED!"

(Of course, that may tend to ATTRACT a certain element also!!! :o )
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices