food pot peanuts?

whubbard

food pot peanuts?

Postby whubbard » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:32 pm

I have a small farm in Southern MO and was wanting to plant peanuts in a small food plot.  My farm is in the ozarks, and was wondering if anyone has had any luck or knowledge of peanuts in this area, and if deer love them, or if it's all myth.

ranwin33

RE: food pot peanuts?

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:32 am

Don't know much about peanuts other than I like them.  Can't say if deer like them or not, but since they're a root crop, at least the peanut part, I'd think there would be things that are easier to grow and not an annual crop so you don't have to replant them year after year.  Not sure if you'd see big differences between a peanut crop and a clover crop as far as deer activity goes.  If you're set on peanuts or something other than clover, you might try austrian winter peas - we can't get them to grow here because the deer eat them as soon as they sprout.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

oneshot 1

RE: food pot peanuts?

Postby oneshot 1 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:19 am

Deer and turkeys both Love them.I would take a Harrow run over the ground so they could get to them when their ready.

But wait would the MDC consider this Baiting? Because this wouldn't be considerd normal Farming Practice.

oneshot

Return to Missouri