Deer Stand Design

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
timer

Deer Stand Design

Postby timer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 am

Can anyone give me direction on where to go for plans for building a permanent deer stand? I'd like to build a stand that is large enough for two and will be durable enough to last for at least 10-15 years. I'm sure there are lots of plans out there, but I'd appreciate info from someone who has taken the plans, built the stand, and used it for at least a couple of years.

My carpentry skills are limited and I will have to hire someone to build the stand.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Ohio farms

RE: Deer Stand Design

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:10 pm

I have permanent stands on my farm that my uncle built. He was a pattern maker and just made up the plans. They were built 25 years ago and all that I replace are the sides of the boxes. The animals chew on the wood.  Check www.sportsmanguide.com  They sell premade stands. I would not buy one, but the picture in their catalog is clear enough to see how to build it. Check it out.  You must use wolmonized wood to keep it from rotting. I put a bottle of red cayenne pepper in the solid stain that I use on the plywood sides of the box to help deter animals from chewing on them. Sometimes they still do, but it helps. Also, I would sink the footers in cement to keep the whole thing stable.  Good luck. They are a pleasure to hunt out of, but you have to put them in  a productive spot since you can't really move them  

timer

Postby timer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:11 am

Ohio Farms,

Thanks for your reply. I'll check the site out.

The metal that is used for barns is tough and durable and fairly cheap. It might be a good alternative for you if you are having problems with rodents eating the exterior of your blind.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:29 am

ORIGINAL: timer

Can anyone give me direction on where to go for plans for building a permanent deer stand? I'd like to build a stand that is large enough for two and will be durable enough to last for at least 10-15 years. I'm sure there are lots of plans out there, but I'd appreciate info from someone who has taken the plans, built the stand, and used it for at least a couple of years.

My carpentry skills are limited and I will have to hire someone to build the stand.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Are you in Illinois? If so, call me, and I'll build it. I've built ladder stands, duck blinds (both fixed and floating), and goose pits. PM me for my cell#.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:41 am

I should check barn siding out. I'm getting tired of the chewing.  Thanks

timer

Postby timer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:41 am

Woods Walker,

Thanks for the offer....but I'm in Southern Kentucky on the Cumberland River.

timer

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:40 am

I've built wooden ladder stands in the past.  Trust me....when all is said and done, it is cheaper and easier to just buy one.  Once you add up the cost of pressure treated lumber, all the hardware and the time to build (or paying someone else for their time) it is just not worth it at all.  Not to mention that the store-bought stands must pass the TMA safety guidelines.  A nice assurance.

timer

Postby timer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:03 am

Vipertech,

Is there a specific "store-bought" stand you have used that you would recommend?

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:31 am

It's not necessarily a brand I recommend but design features.  For example, I like a full foot platform that reaches to the tree.  I don't like the stands that have just a small strip where you rest your feet.  It seems to easy to miss-step.  Plus the full platform allows you to stow your hunting pack under the seat.  I like flip-up seats and on a two-man stand, they should flip up independently.  A shooting rail is nice to give a sense of security to a child.  It should be able to be flipped up out of the way. The ladder section should obviously be wide enough to add stability.  There are some brands out there that appear to meet this.  Big Game makes a pretty good one but the seat doesn't independently flip up from what I recall.  Rivers Edge also makes a good double stand.

whiteoaks

Postby whiteoaks » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:39 pm

I tend to agree with vipertech, although I have a few old treated wood ladders that lead up to store-bought hangers. They seem to last but are durn heavy to move.

Here's my REAL question:

Anybody have advice/plans/experiences building a permanent tower stand (in the woods, on uneven terrain)? I too am not a carpenter, but I could probably get by if I had a helper. I have some tools, including cordlesses, but cannot count on a high-lift or tractor or anything wheeled but an ATV to help.

I'm getting older and the idea of a smaller tower to help through the (sometimes but not this year) snowy Wisconsin gun season is getting more appealing with each passing year.

Next

Return to Tree Stands