How did you quit? Why did you quit?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
hilltop

RE: How did you do it?

Postby hilltop » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:03 am

Smoked for 30 years. Quit just to see if I could. I got a script from my Dr. for nicorett I think, can't really remember what it was called could have been nicoderm. This cost $150.00 but if I was successfull it would pay for itself in no time. I smoked 3 to 4 packs a day according to if I was drinking or not, that was 4 years and 50 lbs. ago. I can't really tell much difference in how I feel or breath but the wife says I sound better sleeping. Oh yeh, the wife was suppose to quit also, never happened.

Anyway that is my story. I wish the best of luck for all those who try to quit.

wack

Postby wack » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:16 am

I had a bunch of teeth pulled and I thought that would be a good time to quit. Using the patch, I stopped long enough to avoid getting any dry sockets but in a few days I was smoking and wearing the patch and in the long run, made my addiction worse. A friend of mine tried some pills from the doctor, the pills caused nightmares every night, he went back to smoking to avoid a divorce. My latest effort is to make my own smokes, if you have to stop and make it first, makes it more of a hassle, slows you down, makes me think a little more about what I'm doing. I've cut back from 1 1/2-2 packs a day to 1/2-1 pack a day. My bad days are because I don't have enough to do, good days I keep busy. If I could only move out to the woods for a month or two and hunt year round, it would be much easier. lol For now, I just work on cutting back. Instead of a cup of coffee and 4 sigs, I cut it back to 2 smokes. When I drive, I wait a little longer to light up, take along a limited number and make them last. Smoking outside is a good idea, anything to break up the routine should help.  
American by birth, hunter by choice.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:32 am

First off, I've never smoked, but I understand the compulsion to do so.  I come from a family of smokers. Both my parents smoked as did just about all of my aunts and uncles and grandparents. The best method I've seen for quitting is to do so cold turkey. Of all the people I know that have smoked and quit, this is the method that got the job done.

bwhntr

Postby bwhntr » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:59 pm

I started chewing tobacco at the age of 19. Went from there in a couple of years to Skoal. Graduated from there to Copenhagen. 2 cans a day. I really loved the stuff. I guess you could say that I was scared straight. I would not have quit otherwise. I do know that I would quit for a few days at a time, and that was it. I've heard that if you can make it to 3 weeks, then it does get easier. By the way, the reason that I was scared straight is because both of my jaws started to hurt me so bad, even pain pills would not stop the pain, that I thought I had mouth cancer. Turned out to be TMJ, which I still have and is very painful. But it sure did scare me straight. But since 1993, I've been tobacco free. Oh, and sunflower seeds will help a small bit.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:23 pm

I started smoking when I used to work in the tobacco fields when I was 14. I also chewed tobacco. I participated in sports in school, so it was difficult to smoke and and maintain a good workout regimen. So I only smoked in the off-season when I was working during the summer.  My grandmother was a life-long smoker and suffered a stroke, then a heart attack finished her off a few days later when she was 56. My best friend's uncle was dying of lung cancer and we would often visit him when he was in the nursing home. It pained me greatly to see such a fun, lively guy get reduced to struggling to hang on to any piece of life he could grasp ahold of. His roommate had smoking-related emphysema and only had about 15% lung function near the end.  He was completely miserable and just couldn't get enough air.  That right there made me realize that I was being a fool and shortening my life if I kept on smoking. I quit cold turkey in 1988 without thought of lighting up again. 

I wish you strength to overcome the addiction. Quit for your family & friends if not for yourself. Life is too good to waste it.

Jim 
Luck Counts, good or bad

Dirtymike

Postby Dirtymike » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:09 pm

New to the place here. I just recently was able to quit. I tried patchs, some pills. gum. Cold turkey. Let me tell you cold turkey was for the birds. Maybe I just dont have the will power. The dr finally gave me chantix. It did give me some crazy dreams. But they were good ones. I have been smoke free for 5 months and have a 4 month old. I finally made it. The urge is there. The first 3 days were hell. Then it gets easier. Hanging out with my smoking buddies was hard, fishing was hard, driving was hard, coffee was hard. Just do it one craving at a time. Good luck. I hope what ever method you try works for you.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:51 pm

I rubbed snuff since high school. I quit a couple times, sometimes for years, and always went back. As I got older, it began to irritate my tongue. Not the tobacco itself, but the way I worked it while I was rubbing. I would get small cuts on the end of my tongue that would not go away until I stopped dipping for a few weeks. I experimented with different brands, dipping less frequently, and even tried the Snus. My tongue couldn't take it. I dont think it was malignant, but I didn't think it was good to have a constant sore on my tongue, so I quit.

I never smoked, other than the occasional cigar, but my understanding is, once you quit smoking, you will crave it at first, but eventually that goes away. Not so with snuff for me. I could have one right now and it feels the same as the third day after I quit. I've gone back multiple times and will probably do so in the future, knowing even then that I'll have to stop in a few months because my tongue cant take it. I truly do miss it.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:14 pm

The farthest I've gotten is smoking outside rather than in the house. It has helped me cut down about half a pack a day but it's not enough. I also tried chantix which made me nauseated. I just went to the doctor a couple weeks ago. Had to do a stress test and ekg. She really got on my case this time.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:16 am

Like most, I "quit" several times.  I finally got one to stick, though.  Once I got past the initial freak out, it wasn't all that bad.  here's what I did.  It might work for you or it might not.  It's worth a shot, though. 
You're already outside, so that's a good start.

1. Get on a schedule.  Have a smoke at certain times of the day. Stick to it as best you can for about 2 weeks or so. Set up a end time.  After X o'clock, no more smoking.
2. After a few weeks of the schedule, push the times 15 min.  If your 1st break was at 9, change it to 9:15.....etc.
3. Next push them 30 min (45 from the origional)
4. Remember to keep that end time firm!

The idea is that you consistantly go through successfull "mini-quits" (not my words [8|]).  As the times get pushed back, you will smoke less and less as long as that end time is firm.  It is a long process, but might work.  After about a month, I just put them down.  I was shocked at how easy it became.  I got the idea from a PTSD pamphlet.  hope it helps

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:32 am

Thank you, I will probably try that after I conquer this. My next "plan" was to quit smoking in the car.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness