2009 Deer Seson

chief

2009 Deer Seson

Postby chief » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:24 am

Today is the last day of the early bear season. I'ts a beautiful day sun, is just coming up with a good frost. I sit on the oak hillside shivering listening to the acorns falling around me. As I walked in this morning, I downloaded a month's worth of trail camera photos and see a great number of deer have been in the area feeding on the acorns. To my amazement I got several bears also feeding near my camera. I have hunted nearly everyday of the bear season and haven't seen a single bear. I have had lots of deer pass my locations. I am really looking forward to the upcoming bow season! Massachusetts deer herd as grown tremendously in the last few years especially in my area of Zone 5. I would like to see Sunday hunting more than anything in this state, second we need a youth deer hunt. Good luck fellow Massachusetts Hunters bow season is almost here!

BerkHunter

RE: 2009 Deer Seson

Postby BerkHunter » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Sunday hunting would be awsome!  I'm in zone 3.  Did you have any luck bear hunting? A guy i hunt with got a 160# female. Hows your spots looking for the deer season?  I hunt apple trees the best i can, i'm fairly new to hunting and the trees seem like a focal point for a food source.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:40 am

Hey chief - sound like you have a great spot for this year! I'm out in Zone 10 (Framingham) and finding a spot to hunt out here is very difficult. I managed to find a sweet spot in a local town and the landowner is very excited for me to get in there ASAP. She is tired of all the deer tearing up her bushes and trees. Well good luck and hope to hear how your season is going!!
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:08 am

Well, I got back from my early season muzzleloader hunt with friends and family in upstate NY. I wasn't lucky at all, but my brother in law bagged a nice 102 lb spike. The deer had 6" spikes, they were huge! Fun was had by all and we all and most importantly we all stayed safe. Now back to the woods (or the backyard) with the bow to get so of that homegrown ven ison for the freezer!!!

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:28 am

Has it been that quiet in the woods that we have nothing to write about!!!HAHA!! Has anyone seen any action in the woods? (scrapes, rubs, etc.?) Lets keep in touch and stack em' like cord wood!!!

BerkHunter

Postby BerkHunter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:02 am

Got my first deer with a bow.  Thought it was a doe when i shot it...turned out to be a button buck.  Nothing like a good bow kill.  Anyone having any luck in Mass?

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:39 am

Congrats!!! I haven't had any luck yet, but I have been seeing them from a distance. I've gotta find a way to get them to come in closer. I'm hunting in this ladies back yard and I can see the deer in the field beyond her property line. I honestly think they have gone nocturnal on me. I made a mock scrape with a licking branch over it and I'm finding hoof prints in it, but I'm there at night, and sometimes in the morning but with no action near the stand. I have had my daughter with me a few times and she has seen the deer in the field and that's great for the memories, but the memories would be better if there was a deer in a photo with her and me!!!

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:40 am

Oh, I forgot to say congrats to jaysox10, he got one out west!!!

BerkHunter

Postby BerkHunter » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:20 pm

yeah, i plan on getting my 5 year old out to sit in a blind with me next year.  I got permission on private property this year, it would be a great spot to get him out there to see some deer.

heightman

Postby heightman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:16 am

Just thought I would comment on how my season is going. I have been out at least 4 times a week since archery opened. So far the freezer is still empty. I have yet to find any rubs or scrapes. The week before last I did have a Doe come in on me to within 13yrds. and she had her two little ones with her. I just could not bring myself to taking her down with the cute little ones with her. However just watching her teach them the art of survival in their world was amazing. She knew that something around her was not guite right but had no idea just what. She started to stomp her front hoof to the ground and her little ones did so as well. But I stayed motionless and watched as they did this at least a half dozen times. When that failed to satisfy her that things were ok she BARKED a few times something I have never heard a deer do. Soon she felt comfortable with the situation and slowly walked away with the little ones right on her tail. I waited around about 45 more minutes before heading out. As I made my way back to my parking spot I kept thinking how lucky I was to get to see just how nature works. Hopefully I will get another chance to put some meat in the freezer before our 2009 season's come to an end. GOOD LUCK to all and be SAFE

Next

Return to Massachusetts