Want to buy Solar Charger?

woterm

Want to buy Solar Charger?

Postby woterm » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:15 pm

I'm thinking of getting one of these 2800 mAh solar chargers that I've seen with many different brand names at different stores, but none in brick and mortar stores. I would be using it for my HTC Advantage (charges at 5V, so it would be .8 A, not the 1 A of the stock charger but better than the .55 A charger I got to replace it). Anyone give me some recommendations?

merenay

RE: Want to buy Solar Charger?

Postby merenay » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:16 pm

A 'typical' solar panel will be around 10% efficient. Full sunlight is about 1kW per square meter. So a panel 1m X 1m will give about 100W.
Now find out how much power the mp3 player requires to run and calculate how much power that panel will give. Bear in mind that I doubt it has a switching regulator and it claims to drive at 9v, so it's nominal voltage is probably around 12v so the max current will be W/12 irrespective of it's output voltage.
Aside from this, inbuilt solar chargers are always prone to climatic, environmental & solar wrath harming the device itself. Avoid them ! I'd a solar charging radio once that (even behind a window indoors) became so hot that the electronic innards became totally cooked! Of course a sudden downpour outdoors would give ruinous damage too, & light fingers/animals may even steal it. Best overall IMHO to keep the PV well seperated from the device.
www.gizmograbber.com

Return to Books/DVDs/Magazines