No deer today

msbadger

RE: No deer today

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:48 pm

This after noon I decideed to try out my new bobbin head decoy...I set it up in the yard....covered it up with the clothe tie downs and slipped it under my arm and went out to hunt.....only had squirrels come in ...but heard noises behind me as well....No way to see if it was more squirrels or deer....I stayed in stand until nearly dark then got down to cover and stash decoy.....I heard movement in the woods but saw nothing....left the area and on the trail about 60yrds out ...I heard chasing ...then a loud baritone grunt...next thing I know I had a doe sprint past me on the trail...as I stood motionless....Mind you the trail is only as wide as my tractor!...more grunting and I hear her coming back...to be honest I had just enough time to kinda brace for an impact as she breezed by.....Then I decided I'd best knock an arrow just in case He charged me...I was carrying Dominate buck lure...for the decoy.
 Now all I could see was this wht tail dashing around the trees back and forth then it went to where I had the decoy and a fawn entered the area as well....The buck was around 20 yrds out and grunting following them....but I could only make out the darkness of his body move among the trees.....I decided to start walking ...nothing spooked ...so I walked...stopped.... trotted stopped...ect..and shook some brush and yanked on trees limbs....no snorting or blowing so I think a morning hunt is do-able...Great .....startling afternoon hunt...[:)]

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:29 pm

Great story Msbadger . My son called me last night . He was set up in Mendon . He could see the lights of a business from where he was and figured he best get down and start walking while the lights were still on in the distance so he could see . He had a Tarsal Gland hanging on a limb and was leery about getting attacked by a buck . He has had a couple of close encounters with bucks in the dark before when he was carrying scents ..............
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:41 am

OOhh ...been there done that[&:]...the container has a screw on top...but ya never know.... And thanks[;)]

Well I went out this a.m. and got to the stand at 6....settle in and listened...yikes!the raccoon must be breeding... dang that screaming sends chills down my spine....the squirrels were back at first light...at 9am I almost packed it in ...because I had to pop my left knee around a 8 and sure enough there was a deer bedded near by that saw me move and heard the pop!...All I saw was a fat wht ars..[&o]....then at 9:30 I heard a grunt over my rt shoulder...so I returned grunted...PS no decoy this morning....then I heard deer moving on my right and I was the doe and fawn coming in perfect...the next grunt was behind and over my left shoulder...the fawn fed 17yrds out and the doe stayed in the slashing quartering toward me.....Then damn if she didn't look straight at me....This doe has to GO!!!...she would have busted me but the buck coming in thru the slashing took her attention...he was 15 yrds away when I finally saw him...His face is all wht and his body a very light grey....one side of his rack is broken off and I couldn't get a good look at the other side...He Dropped his neck and head and at the same time looked like he was scrunching up...then exploded at the doe...chasing her off...the fawn waited a bit and took off after them...15 min. later I saw her and the fawn 100yrds out cross in front of me but not the buck...I waited until 10:30 and came home...rain is due today and I'm going to mow leaves for a while....Good morning...I'd shoot that old boy.....he was a good size

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:40 am

Well the rain hit sooner than I thought so no mowing......late afternoon I'd hunted over decoy from another stand...lordy the wind was bad...So much fun... It was windy and raining and I'd get concentrated on scanning the woods that I'd look over and the decoy would move his head back and forth up and down....startling me [;)] He's fun just to watch with out seeing deer...and that I didn't....Went to new stands each hunt ..just checking movement...last night I called in what turned out to be a young doe...had her in shooting range and opted not...she was just a tad small and If I'm going to fool around with meat... I want to have a fare amount...I'll regret that[:o]....this a.m. I saw just the legs of what I think was the old buck....very light grey....couldn't call him over.... at around 80yrds out.....came in to regroup...stiff neck and shoulders....got to get dinner fixings ready and go out ...this afternoon

How are my fellow NYers doing?

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:59 am

I went down to the stand at my neighbor's yesterday afternoon . I was in the stand by 1 pm . It was reasonably quiet but I could hear some rustling in the thick stuff behind my stand . Around 2 pm I heard an ATV and some little kids hollaring and giggling . Then I saw some A-hole on an ATV with 2 little kids sitting on the rear basket carrier on one of the trails . They weren't supposed to be there . Anyway , I heard a commotion in the thick stuff like something took off in a hurry .
I didn't see a thing and was p.o.'d about the ATV the rest of the afternoon ! ..

I talked to the property owner about the ATV on the way home from church . He said he didn't want folks riding back there but couldn't stop all of them . When I described the ATV , he said it's the guy that has a welding shop up the road and didn't want to pizz him off because he needs some welding done on his log splitter . So much for that . Then the owner added that about dusk a couple deer crossed the road and trotted across the yard .

Tomorrow is forecasted to be a nice day but I have to do some Health insurance Shopping . The company I retired from isn't going to subsidize us any more . [:@]
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:16 am

Ya Eddie I have things to do today as well...banking and such....
I went out at 2 yesterday and the wind was just right for the stand I have wanted to hunt....alternated between sitting at first and when I started seeing and hearing movements I stood to lower my profile in the stand....It was to my surprise...first a beautiful ...Big red fox...jet blk feet ..bright wht bib and stunning red coat...he came in looked around and left....the surprise was an hour later from behind me in comes a young brownish red yote...he circled around me and in the brush..No shots...scenting every 60 ft or so... then left...It's been my understanding that fox and yotes don't hang in the same areas....
 Well the sun set and it was 6:40...I was getting out of the stand...got down and hit the trail out when 40 yrds (behind the stand)I see tails go up and a 10pt stretched out and trotting like a race horse...[&o]..They'd come in behind me...as I had hoped...just not soon enough[:(] and were in a green area that would lead them to the plot....They didn't move far and I knew I had to get out quiet and fast...so ducking down...I got to an area where brush was between me and them...I heard one short startle blow but no running or snorting.... as I was rounding the corner of a small field and woods ...there was a  fresh scrap...
The problem I have is while in the stand I could see several beds that they had in the food plot....I'm afraid  it is a night morning bedding area...but could be a mid morning....They weren't there at 2pm...Id love to try a morning hunt ...but am afraid of spooking them out of that area...Ideas?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:19 am

I could still use some thoughts on the last post...[;)]

Yesterday got chewed up with errands and a hair cut...so warm...and too many flys... any ways....I went out and JD and I took a quick trip around the trails...still some leaves that were wet left..... but last nights and todays winds should either finish clearing or deposit more leaves...light will tell
I was going to hunt this a.m. but between the trees I've heard snap in last wind and the number of widow makers I spotted yesterday...I'll opt for non windy pre dawn hunts and late morning windy day hunts....I was knocked out by a branch one winter walk...dang good thing I bundle up good ...or that wouldn't have turned out well[&:]
  I will grab the rake and hit a couple of the longer trails I can't get with the mower...deer tend to use these alot...I think it may be the noise factor for them as well...or curiosity...it works for me either way and helps when I want to lay down a scent trail...I always make sure that the cleared area...just a foot path....goes beyond my stand for a ways....and curves around for better shot angles.......

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:23 am

The only thing I can think of MS is maybe laying down a scent trail? With things just starting to ramp up some light calling or even tickling the rattling horns 30-45 minutes before dark might help with even a possible decoy. If that 10 pt is good size, before he gets shacked up with a doe hes gonna want to establish his dominance in HIS area and chase away any intruders. Try tarsal scent and a mock scrape (strategically placed ) with some light calling. If the wind is in your favor you really dont have much to lose. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Venison - the other red meat

Previous

Return to New York