October 24th and 25th 2009 -Not Seeing any Rut Activity Yet.

8uck5nort

October 24th and 25th 2009 -Not Seeing any Rut Activity Yet.

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 am

Got out Saturday am and pm, then again Sunday morning.

SW wind and drizzle/rain saturday morning. Had to walk about a 1/4 mile through uncut corn to hunt the stand I wanted. No deer came through during either the morning or evening hunt Saturday. I don't understand it. There was plenty of fresh prints, obvious bedding area at field edge and I have not seen a single deer in three tries on this stand over the last two weeks. Last year it was my go to stand. Saw deer druing ever sitting. Killed two in climber not 50 yards from this location. Thought it would be a smoking hot stand by now.

I decided to switch stand locations because I finaly got a due south wind which was ideal for this spot. Another trek throug another uncut corn field. I got situated about 15 minutes before legal shooting time. I was seated waiting for first shooting light and start to here the tell-tale sounds of deer moving through, but I can't see them in thickets. I was having a very difficult time locating the noise being close to the corn field and the slight breeze rustlng the stalks. Finally I have enough light to see an outline of a deer not 5 yards from my tree! Only problem is I am still sitting, and even though it is legal shooting light now I can't see my pins on my site!. What to do? I slowly start to stand and at the same time I am trying hook my release. Can't see that very well either. I shift my feet and weight to a better shooting postion. By this time I can barely make out my pin and the deer, a doe, is still down there. I draw back and I guess made enough noise or now the deer can see better too cause it catches me in the act. It simply turns, flags and trots away from me. Then I see another white tail go up a few seconds later. That was it. I only stayed about another hour or so as I had to leave early this morning due to a prior committments.

Here is some obversavations compared to last years journal.

Last year during this time I was already seeing lots of scrapes and rubs. Clear sign of several bucks in the area plus a clear indication that the rut was right around the corner. I follow the photo period line of thinking for runt which has been fairly accurate. Pre-rut usually begins around Oct 31st and ends around T-day. Peak is ususally the second week of November. This year I have yet to see any rubs or scrapes. Very disconcerting. However, I am still seeing the does, but I'd say about 10% less sightings from prior two years. Last year I saw alot of 1.5 year old bucks by this time which I passed on, over and over. I have only seen one in last two weeks He stopped briefly at one tree and rubbed his head around on it and proceeded through the area.

Should I start to panic now or am I having uncessary pre-rut anxiety? Has anyone seen nothing two weeks before magic time and then they just materialize, and start to shred trees and make scrapes everywhere? If there were "home range" bucks I am thinking I should have seen signs by now. It is OK to lie to me tell me not worry.[;)]
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

djohns13

RE: October 24th and 25th 2009 -Not Seeing any Rut Activity Yet.

Postby djohns13 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:55 am

I didn't get out this weekend and was very curious as to how the action was heating up. On the 17th, I noticed a few small rubs and scrapes in my area but have yet to see a buck. In fact, I saw more turkey than deer, which is a first for me. I am hoping that the action will heat up by this upcoming weekend and be red hot the week after that. Hopefully the 70 degree weather forecast won't slow things down much.

Keep us updated on what's happening in your neck of the woods. Thanks.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

GreatOutdoors

Postby GreatOutdoors » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

I also went out this past weekend.  I was out on Saturday morning, evening and Sunday morning.  I was out all that time and did not see a single deer.  There are still too many places for the deer to be.  There is a lot of corn and beans still in.  I was able to do a little extra scouting Sunday afternoon and saw some nice, very fresh scrapes.  That is encouraging.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:15 am

I am hunting Fulton and Marshall counties in Indiana. I had a big 10 point working a scrape on the 13th of October. I also saw an 2.5 yr old 8 point chasing three slickheads around on the 16th. It's been very windy and rainy lately. I did see an 8 point Friday evening but I haven't seen a deer since then. I hunted both Sunday and monday evenings and saw nothing. There is still some standing corn here on the neighbors place and I heard his combine in the bean field yesterday. Hopefully it will pick up this week. I've seen 8 different bucks so far and three of them are shooters.

smudd55

Postby smudd55 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:15 am

YEEEHAAAWWWW!!!  I saw 10 deer on the way to school this morning.  I saw a buck with 3 does in a cut corn field.  The time is nigh my brothers and sisters.  Nock your arrows and commence to harvest the bounty.  They are just now starting to turn in after shooting light and coming out before dark.  The boys are getting hot and bothered.  Next week should be a good time with temps in the 40's.  Take advantage of an all day hunt if you can, maybe around the 6th.  This is just an hour south of Notre Dame if anybody is interested.  Good Luck ladies and gents.
From Jeremiah Johnson~I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp; bloodkin to the grizzer that bit Jim Bridger's ass! YOU are molesting my hunt!

smudd55

Postby smudd55 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:18 am

Hey wanderer I am just next door in K county.  Good luck on taggn' the big one over there.  Marshall has put out a few trophies over the years.
From Jeremiah Johnson~I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp; bloodkin to the grizzer that bit Jim Bridger's ass! YOU are molesting my hunt!

Return to Indiana