Hunting a powerline....

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
nhdeerchaser

Hunting a powerline....

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:15 pm

I have a powerline that I am planning on spending some time sitting on. It is a natural run for deer, and a friend of mine had a chance at a nice deer there a few years back.
Here is the dillema.
When sitting on the point overlooking the powerline, you end up being silouetted(sp). This is a very narrow powerline, but the deer cross it regularly.
Is it worth taking the risk of being outlined, or should I hunt the cover that precipitates the powerline.
I know this sounds like a foolish question, but I need some advice.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

MSHunter

RE: Hunting a powerline....

Postby MSHunter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:27 pm

ORIGINAL: nhdeerchaser

I have a powerline that I am planning on spending some time sitting on. It is a natural run for deer, and a friend of mine had a chance at a nice deer there a few years back.
Here is the dillema.
When sitting on the point overlooking the powerline, you end up being silouetted(sp). This is a very narrow powerline, but the deer cross it regularly.
Is it worth taking the risk of being outlined, or should I hunt the cover that precipitates the powerline.
I know this sounds like a foolish question, but I need some advice.

Mike

In MS, hunting Powerlines (right of ways) is against the law. Check your state regs to make sure your ok to do so. I would hunt from the cover or place a blind on the edge of the cover to help conceal myself and any movement.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Thanks MShunter!,

Yes it is quite legal and acceptable to hunt powerlines in NH. Thanks for the advice!

Mike

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:39 pm

If you can do this, it works real well........

Find the place that you want to sit, and dig a hole wide and deep enough that you can sit on the ground like you're on a chair, with your legs underground. Then all you need is a sparse amount of cover to break up the rest of you. This reduces the human form, and the amount of cover you now need to conceal yourself is lessened.

I used this technique to hunt ducks on an almost bare small island on a lake years ago, and it worked real well.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:53 pm

Woodsey!

Great advice! Thank you. This would work excellent in this spot. All I need to do is clean out in front of the rock, and I'll have a natural blind!

Mike

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:03 pm

There ya go! Just remember to bring a boat cushion or a piece of foam to sit on. That cold damp ground travels from your keister right up through your body!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:17 pm

Make sure there are no underground gas lines also going through. On my land there is a natural gas pipeline going though the cener of it all. It would really suck for you if there was one and you hit it. They are only about 3 feet down.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Some great advice so far, but if you want to get high, and you have trees to do so, you could 'brush' your stand in...Is this a possibility? 
QDM!

metamorahunter

Postby metamorahunter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:43 am

A powerline cut is the primary feature of my main hunting area in Indiana. I set stands in cedar trees along the edge of the cut, near where the dear cross. It is a deadly set up. It would be very difficult for me to hunt in the actual powerline cut for the reasons you mentioned, although I have sat in the weeds and saplings that grow under and around one of the transformer towers and hunted from there.

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking