Doe Management

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
jrobinson91

RE: Doe Management

Postby jrobinson91 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Im all for shooting a few extra does. But does it not decrease the potential fawns that could be born the following months after rut????? Im just wondering if its a good idea to keep alot of does around. Bucks can easily breed 3-4 does in a season i would assume. Just curious on any thoughts on this.

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:21 pm

One would think that more does equals more deer which equals better hunting. People used to go by that logic. Now that our deer numbers are at record highs we have a differnt problem. Overpopulation. Nature can only produce so much forage for the deer. When numbers get too high and they exceed the amount of forage available the whole deer popluation suffers. It is better to have a balanced population of healthy animals who have enough food available to reach their maximum potential.  Having a more balanced buck\doe ratio will also make the rut more intense. Ever wonder why you see them rattle on a texas ranch and 12 bucks show up in 3 minutes? Its all about population control and management.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:42 am

ORIGINAL: jrobinson91

Im all for shooting a few extra does. But does it not decrease the potential fawns that could be born the following months after rut????? Im just wondering if its a good idea to keep alot of does around. Bucks can easily breed 3-4 does in a season i would assume. Just curious on any thoughts on this.

It may or may not decrease the potential fawns that could be born the following year.  The thing to remember is that more does will not necessarily mean more fawns, because all those bred does still need to carry those fawns to term, and if the habitat will not support the herd, then they won't carry to term, or if they do, many fawns won't survive.

Consequently, you may end up in a place where fewer does will carry more fawns to term giving greater potential for more deer the next year.

Ideally you should try to match herd numbers to habitat carrying capacity, taking into account future growth.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

jsjandro

Postby jsjandro » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:41 am

hey doeEyed, i dont know if you're into qdm or trophy deer mang. (tdm), but if you are truely into qdm, caring about what is healthy for the deer in their environment is more important to you than all other factors. many many people care about antlers or just seeing many deer and when these things influence your management decisions it isnt qdm, its now tdm that you are up to.  tdm and traditionalists both manage deer for what best makes the hunters happy.  if this is you - then any old answer will do from shooting every doe to shooting no does.

considering that you wanna balance the herd itself and with the habitat, the only way to know for sure is to get the best idea of the herd using any and all tools u can get. i use cams on my land.  i also live on my land, which aids greatly. 

you will know when you're doing it right in time to come cuz it'll be torn up come october, no browse lines, the does wont have their ribs sticking out in september, and body size per age will be thru the roof.  i personally took 7 does off my 20 acres last year, and my friend took 1.  i have permission to hunt my neighbors 160 adjoining and have yet to need to.  my deer density is still rediculous but sex structure is improving.  last year i had no bucks on my plots thru summer and this year i had 5 yearlings, 1 2.5yr old, and a 3.5 yr old. plus does and fawns.

if ya wanna get info from the horses mouth - go to qdma's website. oh yeah, also if your packed with does until rut, then just see a few bucks, that's tell tale that you need to slam the does. if thats your case start there. pm me for more i know its long but ive lived in areas with balanced herds and without both in and outta state- ive seen alot!  will help if needed.
only if we had antler point restrictions...:(

try not to become a man of success, but a man of value.

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management