Injured...again.

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
msbadger

RE: Injured...again.

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:46 am

No hunting for me for a little bit...remember the leg cramps I suffered last year?
 Well last night I woke Mr B. ..screaming and rolling on the living room floor in agony...what I thought was a simple thigh cramp radiated to my hip then the other thigh then both hips and calves as well....OMG...I've never been in that much pain ....he tried to rub them out and I actually started trying to pound them out .....This went on for several minutes and He wanted to call the ambulance ...me screaming No....I actually dragged myself through the dinning room and kitchen until I could roll up on to me knees and crawl on all fours...until they subsided...I'm now walking like a hundred year old woman!

My fault...my fault....slacked off on taking my vitamin D and calcium and ..of course with hunting not drinking enough water....My body gave me a Butt Whipping I'll not soon forget...lesson learned...[&o]

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:56 am

Wow, sorry to hear that ^ msbadger! I hope it is not something that bothers you too long. Please hydrate yourself and do some stretching so that you'll be back in action during the rut.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:31 am

Thanks JPH..my bad...I'll spend a couple of days letting the muscles heal...To be honest...they feel...hhmm a bit shredded right now.... and I'll be drinking alot! ...double up on the pills for a bit...last time I was on prescription D...Ahh Today is a perfect hunt day... foggy and damp no wind...luv hunting this weather...but Mr.B had asked me to turkey hunt until the weather got cooler again...low 60's and mid 40's at night right now...things change Mon ...so perhaps Sunday night....I may have to go after that flock of turkey I kicked up while raking trails Wed....Image

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:31 am

I was installing flooring in my master bedroom the other day (well two days)
Woke up day 3 and POW! Couldn't bend my "good leg" well. Felt like a baloon is inside my knee cavity [:@]

Now my bones hurt were they articulate.
Best guess is somehow I injured or tore a meniscus [:@] (did that on the bad leg 4-5 years ago)

Unreal, didn't ever experience any pain at all or felt anything.

On the plus side sometime in the last few months my ab tear just disappeared

I hate getting old
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:00 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

I hate getting old

Yeah, but it beats the alternative.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:53 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

I hate getting old

Yeah, but it beats the alternative.

Couldn't agree more JPH! Toes up is a bad alternative!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

wack

Postby wack » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:20 am

Yep, better old than dead. What a sorry bunch we are. lol Hope we all get better soon. DrDavin 'In regards to the comments from the nurse about seeing a Chiro "a few times".  The only thing I can say is HA!  Ask her if seeing a Physical Therapist "a few times" is all that is required."

The nurse should be fired as far as I'm concerned. After seeing her my wife and I both had thought I was doomed to a life of pain. She painted a real gloomy picture for us, and like you and the pain Dr said, I'm not in all that bad of shape. I've had mild pain in my lower back for years, I believe that to be the disk pain. The bad pain is muscle pain from spasms.

The chiro I'm seeing is also a strengthening coach. I think they would agree with you about treatments. Cracking my back is a small part of the total plan. Exercises and physical therapy are all done in the same place where the different doctors work together. For now pain management is being done with pills while the therapist and chiro/conditioning coach  work together. MHO my muscles weren't ready to have my back cracked the first time. It took him quite a while to stretch my back and get the muscles to relax enough. They've got a month to work on me and other options include injections, then finding the nerve that's sending the pain message and burning it out. I was told burning the nerve lasts about 2 years before it grows back. If I can just get the spasms to stop....

At first all the doctors had me believing I was always going to be in this kind of pain. Then after seeing the pain doc and got started with the program, I got a little too confident and over did it too soon. What bums me out the most is it didn't take much to over do it. I should have went hunting Wed instead of doing yard work. lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:17 am

Wack,

Of course you should have gone hunting.....What were you thinking man!

Seriously, glad to hear you are perking up.  Be diligent with your homework and this will all pass.  You will still have episodes of pain but these should become less frequent provided you are strengthening things up.  Slow and steady course is what I preach.

Good luck
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

wack

Postby wack » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Hey gang, how you all doing now? JPH are you getting that shoulder in shape? Sailfish, hows the knee? MsBadger? Hope things are going well for all.

My back is getting stronger. Haven't had a back spasm for almost a week. Sunday I took my bow out hunting. I didn't shoot at all, just needed to get out for awhile. I went to a public grounds that I've never hunted before, mainly because it's wide open grass to cattails and very few trees and little hunting pressure. I walked in WITH the wind only about 100 yards and sat down 20 yards past a trail in the tall grass.  I've seen deer in this one corner when I used to pass it every day driving school bus but I really didn't expect to see anything..

I sat for about a 1/2 hour, then did a few grunts and rattles. I waited maybe 10 minutes and rattled again, I should have stood up first to take a better look around because as soon as my rattle bag hit the ground a buck jumped up 20 yards away and ran off! lol The wind was right, had the right trail, right distance almost everything was right but me. lol I really wasn't in hunting mode, more like being out for a walk and can't believe I rattled the 2nd time with out taking a good look around first. I love rattling, I know better, I didn't even have an arrow knocked. O well. I got more than I expected, was a beautiful evening for a walk anyways and the adrenalin rush was a bonus. Probably a good thing I didn't try to shoot it, it was BIG! I saw at least 4 points on one side as it ran away.

The doctors still don't want me shooting my bow. The family doc says I should go to a cross bow but she's not willing to pay for one. lol The strength trainer/chiropractor doesn't want me drawing my bow til after gun season and also says I should get a cross bow also.

I'm gearing up for gun season. My gun hunting buddy and I took my boat out Sat. and found water access to public grounds that really looks promising. We may have upset a few duck hunters on our search but will be worth it if we're the only ones out there opening morning. We'll see. That was the first time I've ever been a passenger in my own boat. It was kind of nice having someone else drive and do all the work. He had to row for awhile, hurt my back just watching. lol

I hope the rest of you guys and gals are healing up. Good luck, hang in there.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Previous

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness