Is your season done?

Patriot

Is your season done?

Postby Patriot » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:45 pm

Hey everyone.  Just wondering if your seasons are done.

I'm pretty much done for the year.  Freezer is full from bow and gun kills.  I may go out for an evening at Christmas with the bow.  My spot is 3 hours away, so I'm a little burnt out from all the traveling.

Been a good season.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

mndeerslayer

RE: Is your season done?

Postby mndeerslayer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:55 am

Hello Patroit my season ended in November with no deer in the freezer . thanks for sending a email about party hunting even though i put my rifle away for the season . now its time to focus on pheasants out by where you hunt hopefully i don't get shut out there also and then I should be able start ice fishing . hope you have a good off season what time of the year is best for shed hunting ?
MNDEERSLAYER ///// FLAGGED FOR INTRUSION

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:36 am

ORIGINAL: mndeerslayer
what time of the year is best for shed hunting ?

Whitetails will shed antlers anytime from late December to early March.  My understanding is by the end of February, most are dropped.

I'll start looking anytime in January, but really expect to find them by mid Feb.

The pic of the shed in my avatar was found last year on Feb. 19. 

Good luck.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:42 am

My season is done.  Freezer is filled with the buck I shot on opening day of gun season.  I might go out for the dumb holiday hunt that Wisconsin has but only if its good weather. 

I will go out shed hunting when I go on spring break so I am looking forward to that and see if the big ones made it through the hunting season.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:50 am

Still got one more archery tag to fill. Can take either buck or doe. After that I am done. Have til Jan 4th, but will probably stop Dec 21st if I have not filled my tag by then.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

dewey

Postby dewey » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:19 am

I got a muzzleloader for an early X-mas present so I went out the weekend after Thanksgiving and I am going out this weekend in the Fargo area.  The bad news is that they are expecting 7-8 inches of snow and 40 mph wind.  Sounds like this could be a great story if I were lucky enough to get a deer in that hellacious weather.  I will update veryone on Monday when i get back, if I get back on Monday I should say.  I just hate the idea of the 09 season being 11 months away to give up yet.

bkbowhunter08

Postby bkbowhunter08 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:22 pm

freezer is full still have one tag i thanks to party hunting! saw a monster while muzzleloading hope to see him with a bow and get a chance if not i won't shoot anything else!

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:01 pm

Nope, have til Tues. at sunset to fill 2 more tags. Have aquired 3 during the season, but what the heck, I get to enjoy nature and yet shoot something if the oppurtunity comes along.
 Last night was a bummer, so much ice on the branches and the hemlocks hanging down to the ground. This warm spell coming thru will open up the woods.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Return to Minnesota