hunting without blind, but not still hunting

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
nhdeerchaser

hunting without blind, but not still hunting

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:57 pm

When hunting in the woods, what is the best technique when not using a blind? I have always tries to find a high point on the land, find a tree wider than my shoulders, clean out a spot so I can move quietly, then settle in. I look for the biggest tree to break out my outline.
Is this still an acceptable technique? What say the veterans?

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Everyday Hunter

RE: hunting without blind, but not still hunting

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Mike,
That's about the first thing my dad taught me. I remember him telling me to clear the snow and leaves away from the base of a big tree, right down to the bare earth. I began clearing all the way around the tree so that I could have a little more room to move. Then I learned to find two big trees about 3 feet apart, and clear the snow from between them. That way I was a little more hidden, and could use either tree as a rest to shoot in any direction with minimal movement.

That used to be a great way to hunt opening day in Pennsylvania, back when there were so many deer and a well-chosen stand would assure you of seeing plenty of deer. It's kind of a modified stump-sitting approach. Even though so many guys use tree stands now, you still see lots of hunters in PA doing that, especially on opening day of gun season when every hunter is in the woods. It's been a while since I've killed a deer that way, but for a long time that was almost a sure thing.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:24 pm

ORIGINAL: nhdeerchaser

When hunting in the woods, what is the best technique when not using a blind? I have always tries to find a high point on the land, find a tree wider than my shoulders, clean out a spot so I can move quietly, then settle in. I look for the biggest tree to break out my outline.
Is this still an acceptable technique? What say the veterans?

Mike

You betcha'!  Many of my stillhunts are slow walks between natural blinds that I've set up in the pre-season. Anything that breaks up your outline is good, from something as simple as standing between multi-trunked trees, to constructing a more elaborate blind with branches and brush. The main thing is to break up your outline.

I always carry in my fanny pack a small folding saw, a hand pruners (which I carry in my pants pocket while hunting because I use them a lot), and some black cable ties. With these items, I can make a natural blind from a deadfall tree top in very little time, that not only conceals me, but is a seat also.

Always be on the lookout for natrual depressions in the side of a hill, or from an upturned tree that's on a hillside. I hunted from one of these that I just had to clear some brush from last opening day of firearm season, and I stayed there just about all day, as it was windy and cold, and I was so comfortable there I didn't want to leave.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ChuckNorris

Postby ChuckNorris » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:31 am

If you are planning on walking to and sitting in one place for the duration of your hunt I would bring something to sit on. I really like this chair I bought a couple years ago. It is actually designed for turkey hunting. Put this chair up to a large tree and your outline is gone. It sits very low to the ground and is really comfortable. Raise your knees and you have a very sturdy shooting rest. Its lightweight and compact making it easy to transport. And it's currently on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0036277517165a&navCount=1&podId=0036277&parentId=cat602420&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat20716-cat602420&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602420&hasJS=true
It only takes one deer to change a hunt from disappointing to very satisfying.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:37 am

I've taken my two biggest deer using your exact method, well not the high ground part, but all the rest of it.  I also try to put the tree between me and where I think the deer will be coming from.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:20 pm

That's a great place to start.  Breaking up your outline, whether in a stand or on the ground, is the name of the game, well, part of it anyways.  You don't want to look out-of-place or like a big blob.  Deer take the same routes consistently, and will notice any variance in their surroundings.
QDM!

metamorahunter

Postby metamorahunter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:38 am

I haven't killed a deer with my gun out of a tree stand for several years now. I have found it to be more productive to find a place on the ground to sit, then go mobile once in a while during mid day. Slowly creeping around, using the terrain and cover to my advantage. I have killed my three biggest bucks with my shotgun from the ground, either in the process of moving from one place to another, or having just moved to a new place to sit.

ChuckNorris

Postby ChuckNorris » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:54 am

ORIGINAL: metamorahunter

I haven't killed a deer with my gun out of a tree stand for several years now. I have found it to be more productive to find a place on the ground to sit, then go mobile once in a while during mid day. Slowly creeping around, using the terrain and cover to my advantage. I have killed my three biggest bucks with my shotgun from the ground, either in the process of moving from one place to another, or having just moved to a new place to sit.

I have found that in my area once the gun season starts the deer tend to bed down because of all the pressure and they pretty much become nocturnal. You can sit and wait in a stand all day but if they aren't moving, you aren't going to sit anything. I truely believe that in situations like this it is much more productive to move around a little bit to get the deer up and moving.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:56 am

ORIGINAL: ChuckNorris

If you are planning on walking to and sitting in one place for the duration of your hunt I would bring something to sit on. I really like this chair I bought a couple years ago. It is actually designed for turkey hunting. Put this chair up to a large tree and your outline is gone. It sits very low to the ground and is really comfortable. Raise your knees and you have a very sturdy shooting rest. Its lightweight and compact making it easy to transport. And it's currently on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0036277517165a&navCount=1&podId=0036277&parentId=cat602420&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat20716-cat602420&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602420&hasJS=true

can you give me some insight on this product, like is it lightweight?  Is it sturdy?  Is it noisy?  I don't want something that makes any bit of noise whatsover even in cold weather.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

ChuckNorris

Postby ChuckNorris » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:01 am

It is very lightweight although the carrying strap is not the best but it must not be that bad because I haven't tried to modify it yet. It sits within an inch or two of the ground so it is very sturdy, quiet, and quite comfortable. I'm 6'00" 200lbs and fit nicely into this chair even when dressed in large amounts of blaze orange for the cold (well not this year) Wisconsin gun seasons.

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

ORIGINAL: ChuckNorris

can you give me some insight on this product, like is it lightweight?  Is it sturdy?  Is it noisy?  I don't want something that makes any bit of noise whatsover even in cold weather.

Next

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking