coyote? or dog?

RubyCreekHunter

coyote? or dog?

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:20 pm

When i first seen these 2 pics i thought it must be a coyote...having never actually seen one in the flesh i googled up some pictures of coyotes and am now having 2nd thoughts...it looks a little to big for a coyote.
My location is N. Muskegon MI., this pic is in my back yard(10 acres),
now if i had said this pic was from the U.P., you might think wolf[;)], but the legs look a little to short...right?
I guess it`s probably just a dog,husky maybe.
By the way, the cam is a reconyx rc60...

Everyday Hunter

RE: coyote? or dog?

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:08 pm

ORIGINAL: RubyCreekHunter

When i first seen these 2 pics i thought it must be a coyote...having never actually seen one in the flesh i googled up some pictures of coyotes and am now having 2nd thoughts...it looks a little to big for a coyote.
My location is N. Muskegon MI., this pic is in my back yard(10 acres),
now if i had said this pic was from the U.P., you might think wolf[;)], but the legs look a little to short...right?
I guess it`s probably just a dog,husky maybe.
By the way, the cam is a reconyx rc60...

Definitely a coyote.

It's not too big for a coyote. I've shot several, the biggest was 44 pounds. That's not as big as they get, but that's bigger than this one looks to me.

The angle of the photo isn't great, but one distinctive thing about a coyote is the tail. It doesn't hold it straight out or curved up, but angled down a little. It has the shape of a bottle brush, and usually has a dark tip (although I've seen coyote tails with white tips.) A dog almost always has an upward curve to its tail.

At the other end, it has the pointed nose and pointed ears of a coyote.

The angle of the photo make it difficult to tell how long the legs are, but they are not short.

By the way, welcome to the D&DH forums.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

RubyCreekHunter

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi Steve, and thanks for the welcome.
Definitely a coyote.
And thanks for the confirmation.I guess i had my doubts also cause i thought they always traveled in packs...but, i guess theres always that lone wolf[;)].
I actually heard a pack right in my backyard earlier this summer...what an incredible, crazy amount of noise they were making. It actually woke me up from a dead sleep, and at first i thought there was a bunch of kids screaming or in trouble...really freaked me out at first[:-].
Yeah, the pic is a little grainy,...i`ll have to try adjusting some settings , and or try the "video mode".

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:23 pm

Coyote for sure.
I have seen several, and there is no mistaking what it is.
Cool pic!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:28 pm

The "packs" are actually a family group. The young tend to stick together through the summer, and can make plenty of noise once they get going. So, what you heard this summer was a family.

This animal appears to me to be an adult, and its not unusual for an adult to be alone. Often when the young disperse, one of them stays at home with mom and dad and helps with next year's litter. They don't usually hunt in organized packs like wolves do, although it's not unheard of.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:32 pm

I agree with Steve... the first thing I noticed was the tail but the other features fit too. There is no mistaking it, what you have there is a coyote. I shot one this year and see plenty all the time. I even hear them howling when I am walking to my tree stand early in the morning blackness (kind of spooky actually).

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:40 am

Totally a coyote. Note in the 2nd pic how the front foot is turning to the outside. "Cursorial adaptation." Very un-dog like. Plus, although you might need to see a dog pic to compare, the eyes are way too frontal.

I agree it is a good size one too.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:47 am

RubyCreekHunter: coyote? or dog?

Coyote.

rem700

Postby rem700 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:52 am

wolf
Robert

buckhunter21