Anyone Going Out Tomorrow for ML Opener?

8uck5nort

Anyone Going Out Tomorrow for ML Opener?

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:40 am

Forcast for northern part of state looks pretty nasty, kinda like the Firearms opener.

Me and my son will be out. So we will see.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

8uck5nort

RE: Anyone Going Out Tomorrow for ML Opener?

Postby 8uck5nort » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:26 am

Well just in case anyone was wondering Me and My son did. Saw one lone doe around 11 am aboutn an hour or so before the wind shifted from a relatively warmer, but snowier SW to a bitter cold NW. We held up mostly in my blind with a makeshift coffe can camp stove and a couple of cans of soup to keep us warm talking away about stuff til the wife called and said she had Venison (Italian seasoned) suasages with peppers, onions cooked in beer broth ready and wanted to know if we had enough of the cold. At that point it didn't take much to convice us it was time to go.

Got up at 4:45 am this morning and it was a whopping 8 degrees. I know, you guys in the upper midwest are probably luaghing at me, but that was enough to send me scurrying back to bed. Got up at 7:15 am again and it was a whole 3 degrees. Don't regret not going this morning. I am headed out at 2 pm today to catch the evening hunt and slightly warmer temps and less wind, brrrr.

I am taking this upcoming Friday off for and will be using the last of my estrus scent. by my count that should be roughly 28 days or so since peak breeding, but could be off. Hope to see some antlers, but at this point I am going to take anything that comes down the trail. I know I am selling out, but since hunting hard for every weekend since September, fatigue is setting in, and it gets more so the deeper into December we go and the colder it gets.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:52 am

I hear you loud and clear 8uck5nort.  I have a minor cold that wouldn't have stopped me in October/November, but decided this weekend to focus on home/family stuff and plan on getting out next weekend with a bow.

Good luck to all.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:29 am

I didn`t go out opening weekend of muzzleloader but wanted to. Work and family obligations are more demanding now than before. I hope to get out the final two weekends though, and if worse comes to worse, and no meat in the freezer by the end of muzzleloader, will consider braving the cold during late archery.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:28 am

It looks like the weather this Saturday will be more tolerable than the last few weekends so I am planning to get out with the bow.

Good luck to all.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:14 am

I have a couple days off coming up, i think im gona dust of the bow for another round and hit the woods hard for 3 full days of hunting. I'd sure like to get a buck but another doe would suit me fine at this point.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:04 am

I will be out this upcoming Friday, then Saturday, and possibly Sunday with my son. We are still slogging it out. 

Following Saturday we have one of many upcoming family Xmass so that day is probably shot which leaves last Sunday of ML for my son.

I will probably call it quits then as well cause we will have family down over the 4 day Xmass weekend which only leaves the last weekend in January. Hunting season for 08 is in the books.[&o]

Then recharge and wait til September![:)]

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:26 pm

My buddy and I are heading out with the muzzleloaders in the morning.

Forecast calls for a low in the morning of around 19, warming to about 40.  Rain coming in Saturday night/Sunday morning. High Sunday of 50.

We`ll see, it`s crunch time.

I`m having surgery on my hand the week between Christmas and New Years due to an injury from a tree stand fall several seasons ago, so late archery is likely out for me.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Was out in stand all day today. Saw zilch, zip, nadda.

Son and I will be out tomorrow. Nasty weather moving in by Saturday night so we will see what Sunday really brings.

good luck to all.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:17 pm

Hunted all day today, didn`t see a deer.

The wind was gusty, as much as 25 mph, and oddly, didn`t even lay down at sunset.

Unless it`s incredibly wet and nasty, I`m going out in the morning, then my last chance to hunt this season will be next Saturday.

I have the sinking feeling that there may not be venison this winter.

[:(]

Return to Indiana