Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
grunt_doc

RE: Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Postby grunt_doc » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:23 am

I hunt public land, so we stalk as little as possible (even with a blaze orange parka).  What I have always done is this:

While I'm still healthy and fit enough to do it, I hunt the gulleys/gorges/ravines/draws/ whatever you want to call them.  Lots of deer get pushed all around for the first few days of the season.  They all seem to dump into us.  It's great until after you shoot one.  The reason that no one else is there, is because no one but us is bumb enough to want to drag them out!

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Here is a recent article about some of things I have learned from hunting from a ground blind for the past 10 years. It ain't easy, but success is very possible. Hope this helps!

http://wiredtohunt.com/2009/10/11/bowhunting-from-a-ground-blind/
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

Brett Ulrici

Postby Brett Ulrici » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Does any one have a recomendation of a ground blind that will work with a recurve..  every one I have found is to short.

I am currently using a ameristep and have it raised about 12 " above the ground and closed in th bottom with Straw bails...

It works but it is not a mobil use at all... 

postman

Postby postman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:51 pm

I think that most commercial ground blinds are made for compounds, crossbows, and gun hunters. I haven't seen one large enough to be used with a traditional bow. I have a Ground Max blind thats made by primos, unfortunately when I hunt from it I have to go back to my compound. When I hunt with my traditional bow, I like to make my own blinds out of natural materials, I've also tried pit blinds which I find work really well, though they have to be made well before the season starts. The good thing about natural blinds is that you can set up as many as you like through out your hunting area, you don't have to take them down and store them when the season ends, and you can still hunt from blind to blind changing your position to compensate for directional changes with the wind. I think that natural blinds are also less likely to spook deer as you can add to them gradually, slowly building them up and allowing the animals to get used to them.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

ChuckNorris

Postby ChuckNorris » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:01 am

ORIGINAL: postman

The good thing about natural blinds is that you can set up as many as you like through out your hunting area, you don't have to take them down and store them when the season ends, and you can still hunt from blind to blind changing your position to compensate for directional changes with the wind. I think that natural blinds are also less likely to spook deer as you can add to them gradually, slowly building them up and allowing the animals to get used to them.

I also prefer natural blinds for the same reasons. I still hunt the same land throughout each season, stopping at different "blinds". Most of them are just large oak trees that I sit against [;)]. It's amazing how well the lack of movement and hiding your silhoutte conceals you in the woods. I like to have the ability to relocate throughout the day based on other hunters movements, weather, etc...
It only takes one deer to change a hunt from disappointing to very satisfying.

ahmontana2

Postby ahmontana2 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:38 pm

One thing I like to do is cut a tree branch and hold it in front of me when I'm on a still hunt . From what I have seen deer have very poor depth perception but can pick up movment and objects. They seem to have a hard time with telling what I am when holding a branch in my face and when the time is right stick it in the ground and draw and shoot.I Hope that help's some one.

postman

Postby postman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Intersting idea, I'll have to try that.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:22 am

ORIGINAL: ahmontana2

One thing I like to do is cut a tree branch and hold it in front of me when I'm on a still hunt . From what I have seen deer have very poor depth perception but can pick up movment and objects. They seem to have a hard time with telling what I am when holding a branch in my face and when the time is right stick it in the ground and draw and shoot.I Hope that help's some one.

INTERESTING!  If I'm stillhunting along hillsides, I will many times cut a hiking staff to help me keep myself balanced while I have one foot in the air as I walk. In dry leaves I also use the sound of the staff hitting the leaves as the sould of a "deer walk".  What I may try, is cutting a staff that has multiple branches at the top for just the purpose that you mentioned.

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:17 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

[color="#006600"][size="2"][b]Abandon your normal gait and learn to move through the woods like ooze.
[/size][/color]
[/b] [size="2"]
[/size]

This is the best piece of advice on still hunting I think I have ever heard. Being stealthy is as much a mindset as anything else.
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

postman

Postby postman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Was out still hunting this past saturday, and after constantly fussing with my fanny pack ( it kept falling down) I decided that there has to be a better way to carry gear. I gave up on back packs years ago as I find they make me feel restricted, get caught on brush, and worst of all make my back sweat. When I got home and was thinking of a better way, the answer was hanging right in front of me... my turkey vest. It has more than enough room for all of my gear with room to spare, it's comfortable, and well ventilated. Well on sunday I was out again, this time with the turkey vest and I am quite pleased to say that it really worked well, still no deer yet but at least I was comfortable.

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking