Blackhorn 209

beagleman23

Blackhorn 209

Postby beagleman23 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:35 am

I just came from my gunsmith.  I know several people inquired about the Blackhorn 209 power.  Here's what he found out while testing it:

It left less residue(fouling) than all other powders he has tested.

It left an oily film behind in his barrel.

It did not produce velocities comparible to Triple 7, it's slower.

He believes that it produces inconsistent velocities(not same FPS) shot after shot.  Before there is a debate on this point, no shot is going to be the exact same as the last but it should be within a specific tolerance and he believes that it varies significantly which greatly reduces accuracy at distance.

He said it's very comparible to Shocky's Gold.

He still believes that Triple 7 granulated powder is best on the market right now but is awaiting a brand new powder(pellet form) I believe call White Lightning or something close.

Chainsaw

RE: Blackhorn 209

Postby Chainsaw » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:31 pm

Nothing wrong with Triple Seven performance, but Blackhorn 209 is really working great in my NEF Sidekick with a Metrics Unlimited Breechplug and Federal 209A primers. With Triple Seven I cannot load more than twice without cleaning or swabbing.(pushing the crud further in) Blackhorn 209 is the ticket for me with 10 or more shots and easy loading no cleaning and no crud. After the shooting clean like a centerfire rifle, and you are good to go.

rogo

Postby rogo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:02 am

I would say that you need to get yourself another gunsmith. Blackhorn 209 is much better tan T7 and produces more velocity and energy than T7 ever did. You should try it yourself before you condemn it. It is great stuff with no swabbing between shots and cleans up with Hoppe's #9 same as a centerfire rifle. Give it a chance and I think you will change your mind.

TimeLord

Postby TimeLord » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:07 am

Blackhorn 209 should shoot clean, afterall, it is a nitrocellulose smokeless powder, unbeknownst to most folks.  Check out the article on Manzano Valley Outdoors page on Muzzleloader Information:
http://home.earthlink.net/~manzanovalph/muzzleloaders.html

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:12 pm

My first hand experience with Blackhorn 209 is as follows......

It is as hard to reload as pyrodex between shots.....I`ve had a very tough time pushing my bullet down the bore between shots.

Can`t speak to velocities, but I will say, the 110 grain charges I shot out of my Knight .50 cal Disc Extreme have not been anything to talk about. At 50 yards, I`ve managed, maybe, a 4" group.........not acceptable in my book.

I`ve contacted Blackhorn thru their website, asking them to address these issues, but have heard nothing back....so much for customer service........

I`ll likely go back to Pyrodex Select next season, the groups were better and I know what I`m getting.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:30 am

I guess that's why they say one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I was told by the gun shop where I purchased my T/C Triumph that Blackhorn 209 was the way to for shooting my muzzleloader. I'm glad I listened. The last time I shot it, I put 14 shots through it without swabbing it at all. The accuracy wasn't being sacrificed by not swabbing either, since I was basically slightly enlarging the previous hole.

I have friends that have to take swabbing equipment with them while hunting in case they have to reload. That just doesn't make sense to me. It seems to make muzzleloading harder, or more tedious, than it has to be.

After buying Blackhorn, I went on various web sites to read reviews. The positive feedback from users who switched from other brands only solidified my belief that I made the right choice.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=820615
Dave M.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Glad it works well for you........since all rifles are different, there`s always that liklihood, I was stating my experience......and I`ve heard others say the same thing since I had my experience......

For me, it`s not worth the higher cost as I get no benefit from it, and Triple Seven groups much better in my rifle.......

Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

Return to Muzzleloaders