Savage 20ga Bolt action

CB on the run

RE: Savage 20ga Bolt action

Postby CB on the run » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Well I got to shoot my Savage 20ga on Saturday after getting soaked bow hunting in the morning.  It was a miserable day and I was alone so I didn't drag the camera out.  The gun has a Burris 3X9 Ballistic Plex on top.  I started with a Leupold compact but it was too short for the long action.  My gunsmith was able to mount it but I didn't like th e eye relief.  I started witht he Hornady's but the gun didn't seem to like them.  I got a 3 1/2" group at 50.  I do better than that with my 1100.  I sight it in at 50 with the Barnes expander hollowpoint.  I moved back to 96 yards(all I could get) and shot a 2" group with the newer 5/8oz load.  When I included the older 3/4oz verision the group expanded to 3".  Still not bad for a miserable day and I was rushed because I had to sight in two additional guns.  You definitely have to slam the bolt rearward to eject the hull or it hangs up in the action.  The gun may do better than 2" at 100 yards with the right slug.  Mine liked the Federal Barnes 5/8oz the best out of slugs I shot.  I like to get my hands on some of the new Remington Accupoint.

CB

000utback

Postby 000utback » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:35 am

Men: I'm worried by what I'm reading here. I've been waiting for my 220F to deliver to Virginia and no luck. Sorry to hear about the scope mounting issues. I already have the Nikon 1.65-6 and it only has 4.75 inches available on the main tube. - even shorter than the scopes mentioned above.
1) Savage told me the gun came with a one-piece base. Thought this would work with any weaver type rings and thus mount any scope. Is the one piece base not included?
2) Why aren't folk trying a 1-piece base instead of offset bases? Any part numbers available for a 1-piece base?
3) Buckbuster - which Leupold bases did you use?

Thanks all for the responses. Whenever this thing shows up I'll be very rushed to get it ready.
TC Triumph
waiting on Savage 220F
M70 243 wssm
M70 270
Rossi Triple Play

000utback

Postby 000utback » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:38 am

oops PS
4) What is the tube length needed if you don't use offset bases?

thanks again,

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:43 am

000utback,
My gunsmith mounted the slight longer two piece bases facing each other and was able to put on a leupold 2X7 compact so you should be fine with your Nikon. I've since switched to a Burris 3X9 ballistic plex. I think the number on the bases was 446 but I could be wrong. Mine 220F did not come with any base, just drilled and tapped. Make sure the base is for the 110 Long Action.
On the range mine showed a preferance for Federal Barnes 3" hollowpoints in the 5/8 oz. configuration, not the blue polymer tipped slug. Make sure your rest is close to the action of the gun when sighting in. Hope you receive it soon. Good luck. If I remember tonight, I'll get the wife's camera and take a pic and try to post it.

CB

Coach20wins

Postby Coach20wins » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:50 am

Hi All,

Sunday I finally sat down at the bench to start shooting my 220F. Mounted the Leupold 2X7 VXII Shotgun scope using Warne extension bases (and Warne rings). Long extension on the front and a short extension on the back.

Everything was at 50 yards this weekend, just to see what grouped. Plus it was pretty windy, but I went ahead anyway shooting into the SSE where the wind was coming from. I test my loads from a cradle rest.

First Remington Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded 2 3/4 - First 3 shots into an inch....like magic. Of course 6 inches left and 2 inches low. But these were the first 3 shots after sighting down the bore and aligning the scope.

Next Federal Barnes Expanders, 3" - I had more of these, so played around with elevation adjustments. I had several 3 shot cloverleafs. But they seemed to move up and down more than the Remington. a 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 inch group to go along with three groups under 1 1/2". But it was windy, and the wind was in my face.

Federal Barnes tipped. Just like the non tipped. 2 great groups and one stinker.

Remington AccuTips 3" - The gun just liked them....maybe it was because these were the last I shot. The barrel was cleaned every other group (every six shots). I had a cool clean barrel. Shot 3 consecutive 1" groups (OK maybe 1 1/16, but I didn't mike them). I also believe I timed the wind better at this point. But this was VERY nice.

Other comments: This is a sweet little item to shoot. Mellow, even. I shot a bunch and you never feel the thing recoil. extremely pleasant. But, it won't eject worth a c*@p. Not a major problem for me at this point. I expect to be a little more jacked up shooting at deer and I'll probably cycle the bolt like a banshee. Wouldn't want to have my life depend on it. But I deer hunt from tree stands or a hoch sitz (elevated blind) and I get looks at pretty undisturbed deer. The way I look at it, it will be a second shot improvement over my muzzleloader.

Hope this helps.

Coach20wins

Postby Coach20wins » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:05 pm

Hello Again,

Back from a rare mid-week afternoon off at the farm. And, I got some shooting done with the 220F.

Moved the bench back to 100 yards to shoot some Federal, 3 inch Barnes Tipped Expanders. I was very pleased.

Shot 4 different 3 shot groups this session, no cleaning. Using the shotgun hold method described by the Tar-Hunt people which is really different than my rifle hold. But wow, it works. 3 of the groups were just a hair under the magic 2" mark, and one group just over at about 2 1/4"

I haven't been able to find any more 3" Remington Accutips in Central Iowa, so I've cast my lot for this deer season with the Federal/Barnes. If I do my part the gun and load will do theirs.

Corey Graff

Postby Corey Graff » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:43 am

Coach can you describe in detail and shoot/post photos of the "shotgun" hold you describe?

Friends, let's see some photos of the gun and groups you're getting - and photos of you shooting. Take a minute to have a friend or family member take digital photos of your range time with this gun!
Corey Graff
Online Editor - Outdoors/Firearms
F+W Publications, Inc.
700 East State St.
Iola, WI 54990-0001
t715.445.4612 x13217

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:59 am

There are a lot of similarities between shooting rifles off the bench and shooting slug guns, however knowing and practicing the differences can equate to putting more meat in your freezer.

When you first arrive at the range be sure to create your shooting setup on a sturdy, fixed base such as a heavy table or bench. Position a solid rest under both the forend and butt portions of your gun's stock. It is not sufficient to rest only the forend of your gun's stock or to rest on a non-solid item such as a folded coat. Do not attempt to zero your gun from a non-fixed base like the hood of a truck.

Adjust the position of your gun as it sits in the forend and butt rests so that without having to touch the firearm the sight picture is dead on your target. Slide your body into shooting position without disturbing this sight picture. Begin applying shoulder pressure to the butt of the gun and offset any forward gun movement by pulling straight back with your right hand in trigger squeezing position. With your left hand on the forend of the gun's stock, pull firmly straight back and down at a 45-degree angle. Hold this pressure on the gun as you concentrate on keeping the crosshairs fixed dead on your target. Squeeze the trigger gently straight back until the gun fires. It is common for a shooter to anticipate the gun blast as well as the recoil, but both should come as a complete surprise when a perfect shot is made.

Consistently integrating the above procedure into your shooting sessions will eventually produce shot groupings you will be proud of. Keep in mind that 60% of your overall group size can be directly attributed to inconsistent left hand pressure. Wind is also a significant negative factor when attempting to shoot small groups.
From Tar Hunt website under shooting

CB

ragersvillebbh

Postby ragersvillebbh » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Just got my 220f on fri. went home and did some research on ammo since its a little more pricy then my usual $4 rem sluggers that my 12ga shoots. luckly my local gun shop has a good stock of around 10 diff 20 ga sabot slugs including the accutip remingtons. i settled on 3 diff boxs since i was just shooting for groups. set up my box at 50 yds and shot my first shot , went to eject the shell and  would not come out of the chamber. the dealer just put low rings on and the shell was hitting the elevation adjustment on the scope and would not eject. i finished shooting the rest of my shells and the results are as follows. Federal barnes tipped no consitant grouping. Rem accutip 3 inch shot a  2.5 inch. federal barnes hollow points 2 here and two there and 1 on its own. after the range i took the gun back and resloved the ejection problem by puting some riser rings on. also pick up a box of the 2.75 in. rem accutip so we will see how they will group tomorrow. i assume that any new rifled barrel will act the same as say a new rifle. i was always told its like an engine it needs to get broke in, any one confirm this. ive done alot of varmit hunting, reloading for it so i know the procedures of testing a new gun ammo combo so any feed back will be great

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:29 am

I was un-impressed with my 1st 6-8 shots with this gun.  I was ready to trade her in but then she seemed to 'settle in' and I shot several 3" groups off the bench at 96 yards.  My gun seemed to like the 3" Federal Barnes 5/8oz hollowpoints(non-tipped) but I did not have access to the Remington Accutips.  I started out with a Leupold 2X7 compact but quickly switched to a Burris 3X9 ballistic plex. The day I had to sight this gun in was very crappy so I think she'll do better.
  Two things:  Keep your front support right at the front of the action.  The barrel is free-floated to an extreme and any pressure might effect accuracy.  Secondly, you have to work the bolt to throw the spent hull otherwise it will just lay in the open chamber.
  I use a bore snake and solvent every 4-5 shots to keep any build up to a minimum and keep the barrel cool as possible.  If there is no one waiting to shoot on the range, I'll wait 10 minutes between shots(I'm usually tinkering with another gun).  
  I shot Federal Barnes hollowpoints in the 5/8 and 3/4oz loads in addition to their plastic tipped load, Remington Buckhammers, & Hornady Tipped.  The best group went to the Fed 3" 5/8oz hollowpt. at right around 2 1/2" at 96 yards(all I could get that day).  Good luck with yours.

CB 

PreviousNext

Return to Slug Guns