Saw a bunch but no shots

fasteddie

Saw a bunch but no shots

Postby fasteddie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:38 pm

I went to my SIL's property this am . I planned on walking across the combined field but apparently it was plowed yesterday . Walked the long way around to the stand. I was setup by 6:30 . Around 7:30 I saw a lone doe . Then around 7:45 a doe and a buck came along . They walked along the field edge and wouldn't cross like they normally do .
I went up to my vehicle around noon . Was sitting there drinking coffee and eating a granola bar when a buck stepped out of the bushes 70 yards away . He stood there long enough for me to dig out my camera and get some video . Then he walked down by my afternoon stand and moved on .
I sat in that stand for a couple hours and changed stands again . Didn't see anything until about 5:15 . I saw a buck 200 yards across the field . Used the "Can" and he stopped . Took some video then used the grunt tube . Damn if he didn't cross the plowed field fast . He came into the Lane-way (a lane with hedge rows on each side) but wouldn't give me a shot . At almost 6 pm , I got down , check the West field , grabbed my gear and started for the Subi . $ doe hauled butt across the field with the buck right behind them . Day-um !

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj14 ... -27-09.flv
Semper Fi !

msbadger

RE: Saw a bunch but no shots

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:35 pm

Nice...[:)]

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:37 am

Sounds like things are rampin up!
Venison - the other red meat

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:20 pm

Well today was wind advisory and rain...warm... then this afternoon it got better...stayed in for I plan on a long day tomorrow...this late after noon I checked the woods and saw the 8pt chasing a doe with fawn...he chased her right under one of my stands and through the woods...she actually turned and went back to where he'd chased her from when he didn't follow...thought that odd...she must be close to ready but had her fawn in tow still...wind won't be good for that area tomorrow but will try a site I haven't hunted yet...Good luck...weather is finally turning

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:59 pm

It rained all morning here . I was going to go out this afternoon but had to be here when the rug rats came around Trick or Treating . I'll be heading to Geneseo again Monday . The thing I don't like about that is I will have to get up one hour earlier because of resetting the clocks .
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:01 pm

ya....been up since 2a.m.[8|]....eaten showered and dressed...heading out soon... good luck

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:24 am

Well I headed out and walked past the corn plot without spooking deer...walked the lane way and heard movement going away from me and then 10-12 ft into the woods some rustling and then wht caught my eye....What went through my mind at that instant was a Monty Python movie...and my mind yelled " RUN AWAY ...RUN AWAY"...and the thought of killer rabbits danced through my head ..but it was a very fat skunk ...just starting to lift his tail![&:]...Ya know..... that kinda made my night vision better....cause...I didn't even fall [;)]

I got to my stand and tied up my bow then hit the first rung ...when deer were running all around me...then one just had to snort ...then stomp back to me ..I was trying to climb the ladder with as little movement possible....to get above them and out of harms way should one be a buck...I had just hung sent...Well they ran off and came back a few times and then all went quiet....I settled and heard more deer moving around then at 8am a button came in down wind of me and fed then his sis and finally mom...they stayed in the brush 20-25 yrds out and ..of course bedded down...for 2 1/2 hrs! Facing me. Then mom got up and promptly walked away from me[>:].....in the mean time a buck and what looked like a fawn fed under my other stand on the edge of the lane way....several other deer milled around behind me and as I was preparing to leave..... bow on ground...a buck 70 yrds behind me started raking a tree...I lift bow back up but got busted by the deer that were milling around between him and I[&o]...all in all a GREAT morning....heading out to check that sight as an afternoon stand...may just hit first lane way stand...they are only a couple of hundred feet apart....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:55 pm

I scraped the frost off the windshield at 4 am today and drove 50 miles to my SIL's . Saw 4 doe off in the distant around 8 am . Saw a buck and 2 doe as i was walking to my vehicle arounf 5:15 . It was a bit nippy this morning !
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:05 pm

Well I had the perfect set up screwed up by nieghbor coming down lane way next door right at 4:30 with his tractor....deer didn't show up until after legal hours...had a doe and twins broad side at 12yrds...Oh well that's life.

Fasteddie ...your right it was a tad cool this a.m.....actually stopped at Wally world for foot warmers today....I was only 60yrds down trail this a.m. and kicked up a deer...that then ran in front of me the entire 3hundred yrd walk to stand...Blowing and stomping...spooked a few more as well that just trotted away....Well I got settled in the stand and this deer is out infront of me running around snorting and snorting....now into this 20 minutes I took out my grunt tube and grunted twice...alls quiet...O.K. 8a.m arrives and I see movement 100yrds out...so I grunt and what turns toward me is a huge ten pt....WOW...it's bigger than the other one I've seen...he looks hard in my direction but lost interest and turns away again...so I grunt and he appears closer...looking around...I managed to get him to come in 100ft but then he turned for the last time...why of course I wasn't using the decoy[8|]...just then I here foot steps coming in behind me...a fat little 5pt shows up and stops in the lane 15 yrds out....he then strolled to one of my other stands and I lost sight of him....stayed until 10a.m. but the feet were screaming for warmth
Tonight I took the decoy out to a different spot...never saw a single deer...using that stand tomorrow a.m. but if nothing I'll set the decoy out where I encountered the bucks this morning...I don't want to push him and I'm not sure on what kind of area rotation he's on.
 Do you guys think it could have been him snorting and stomping up the woods?I know that there's been a buck chasing doe pretty close to the house...I certainly hope he's not bedding where my path out to hunt is[:o]

nysboss

Postby nysboss » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:08 am

Well here is my long overdue update on my season thus far. I have not seen the amount of deer that I did last year. The number of buck sightings is down, but I still have faith. I know of a couple very large deer on properties that I am fortunate to hunt. My hunts are almost always in the morning because of my night schedule for work less, Sunday and sometimes Monday. Deer activity for me is definitely picking up big time. I have noticed they are starting to move later in the morning.

I have come close to taking my first with the bow. I could have easily shot a three point, but chose to pass him up in hopes for a more mature deer, especially with this week and the next being the best time to be in the woods. Yesterday I drew on a very large doe but was busted. She was twenty yards out and she heard me draw. She walked right into my lane, but I couldn't get the pin on her without her darting away. I held for a while as she was trying to figure out what I was. She bounded off after she figured out what I was. After that I headed over to another area in hopes to catch them heading to bed. I figured the bucks would be in the area trying to scent the does. Not a half hour of being in my stand I saw a buck, small half rack three point. I saw 2 does not twenty minutes later. An hour passed and I heard some racket near the corn field and I saw a white flag, but couldn't tell what it was. Then I saw a flock of toms come from the are of the white flag. Unfortunately non of these deer or turkeys offered me any shots.

Good luck to everyone, I will try to update more. 

Next

Return to New York