help with acorns,central alabama

farmboy15

help with acorns,central alabama

Postby farmboy15 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:39 pm

hi, ive been huntin here on our farm in central alabama for some years now.im 15 and we have always had plenty of deer.they come to our corn fields/green fields even during bow season reguraly.but this year we have seen only one deer.a spike. theres plenty of tracks but we can never find them in the open.u can drive around our town in the evinings and see plenty of deer in fields.does anyone no a reason why we aint seein any deer.if u can please help??

VA MD Hunter

RE: help with acorns,central alabama

Postby VA MD Hunter » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:24 am

Farm boy,

Recommend you invest in a trail camera if possible...As you stated, the deer sign is there but the deer are not showing their faces...Have any significant changes occured on your farm (Timber harvest, power line work, etc)? The trail camera will give you an idea of how many deer are using your property and the time of day in which they appear in that area...Over a short period of time you should be able to establish a pattern and set up an ambush...

I too hunt in Central Alabama (Chilton county) during the November gun opener and the January Rut...Looking forward to my annual trip in the coming weeks...Good luck and let us know how it's going.

VA MD Hunter

farmboy15

Postby farmboy15 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:35 am

no sir, there has not been any changes exept we have let a few thickets grow were we used to bush hog them.i a trail camera but i havent had it out in a few weeks. and we are near montevallo,close to the bibb county side of it.. and did shoot a fox off with my bow out of one of the stands yesterday.he had a rat in his mouth wen i shot him..

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:46 pm

I too have seen a lack of deer in the green and grain fields lately. I have recently found the deer have eaten all the available acorns in the woods. They have found the two acorn trees right over my mom and dads house. Now they lay low until after dark and then move in to eat. Those two trees are over 100 years old and have more acorns than I have ever seen, so untill they finish off those acorns I will not see those deer. I figure and am willing to bet you have the same problem. I can only hope that the acorns are not near any houses so you can get a shot during daylight hours. I hunt in Blount county.

Return to Alabama