Slug Gun Options

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
dxthunter57

Slug Gun Options

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:57 am

IM looking to buy a slug gun for shotgun season next year
my dad has a Browning Gold Deer Hunter
and i love the thing ive shot 2 deer with that gun
do you guys know how much those are going for now a days
any other really good rifled slug guns

beagleman23

RE: Slug Gun Options

Postby beagleman23 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:47 pm

I love Browning shotguns.  I hunted for years with a Browning sweet 16 with a non-rifled buck barrel and shot a lot of deer.  I have a Browning ABolt 12ga now which is a tack driver but it's heavy and out of production.  Used ABolts are commanding an outragous price.  The 1st gun I bought my son was a Remington 20ga youth model.  I added a Hastings barrel down the road.  It shot well, was maintenance free and relatively inexpensive.  He's currently trying to buy it back.  I also have a customized Remington 1100 20ga.  It has a pinned barrell, drilled and tapped for scope base, tuned trigger and a minor alteration inside the reciever allowing it to shoot 3" magnum shells.  All done buy my gunsmith.  It shoots almost as well as the Browning but is afr lighter and much easier on my shoulder.  It harvested 3 deer this season alone.  My suggestion is that whatever brand you choose, make sure that the trigger can be tuned and the reciever drilled and tapped for a scope base.  I have owned and shot many cantiliever type slug guns and have found them to be rather finicky compared to an identical gun that's drilled and tapped.  Also remember that when sighting in keep your barrel clean(run a boresnake and solvent down the barrel every 4-5 shots) and cool or I guarantee that you'll be disappointed with the results.  Good luck.

federali

Postby federali » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:01 am

If you can find one, go with an Ithaca Deerslayer II. It's light, quick, bottom ejection keeps rain out of the action, and they're very accurate with saboted slugs. The new Deerslayer III is super-accurate but weighs 8.5 pounds, sort of like carrying an M-1 Garand. Marlin and Savage make bolt-action rifled slug guns but they tend to be on the bulky side. Hunt with the Ithaca II and you won't want anything else.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:50 am

I also have an Ithaca Deerslayer that was passed down to me.  It's a smoothbore, unlike the rifled slug gun that federali has.  I love it though.  I don't use it on a consistent basis though....It's basically my back up to my backup.  My main slug gun is a Remington 870 Express Magnum pump, rifled barrel.  Shots accurate out to 150 yards.  I originally bought this gun for my dad last year since he has a very old Rem with a looooooooong bird barrel, with a bead at the end of it.  Shoots about a foot down and a foot to the right put it that way....But, he loves the gun and couldn't go away with it, so I ended up shooting it.  The other gun that was my main stay is my Smith and Wesson 1100.  This also is a smoothbore, but accurate out to 100 yards.  It has a peep sight on it too, which I've never actually seen on a slug gun, but very nice to look through it down to my rifle sights!

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:17 am

I'll suggest the defacto-standard:  Remington 870 pump.  Get one with a rifled barrel.  Add a scope if you so desire.  Absolutely cannot go wrong with one of these and you can find upgrades/add-ons everywhere you go. 

Return to Guns and Ammo