ANTLER POINT RESTRICTIONS ?

MoDeer

ANTLER POINT RESTRICTIONS ?

Postby MoDeer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:27 pm

While I was in Okla. for Muzzleloader season this year one of the WMA employees mentioned that next year all of Okla. would have APRs . He said a legal buck would need to have at least 4 points on one side . It kind of suprised us as 1/2 of our group was from Okla. and nobody had heard of it .

Just curious is there any truth to that . We have the same APRs here in Missouri and it has realy helped to build a huge population of mature bucks .
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

tyler

RE: ANTLER POINT RESTRICTIONS ?

Postby tyler » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:41 pm

i have'nt heard anything about this but i hope they do.

upatreestand75

Postby upatreestand75 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:25 pm

Haven't head anything either but I hope they do.  I am on the fence with it though.  I have really good genetics in my area.  I have about 7 different yearlings on cam this year and all but one meet that 4 point limit.  One of those is the smallest 9 point I have ever seen.  But in general I think it would be good for most of the state.

tbone

Postby tbone » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:52 am

have not heard that, but I am all for it, it would help our herd a lot here in Oklahoma.

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Thought you all might like to know that after I asked this question here . I discovered that the employee that had told me about the APRs is the manager of the WMA that we hunted on . I would think he would be a reliable source . He had said that the Okla. Wildlife Commission had voted it in but it was too late to start this year so it would be in effect next year . 

But it still surprises me that hunters in Oklahoma are not in the know on this . When Missouri went to APRs every hunter that wanted to voice there opinion could either through public meetings or filling out questionares . In the end our wildlife commission still done whatever it was that they wanted to do but at least we knew something was comming . 

We had a lot of hunters compaining about the APRs when they first started but now 5 or 6 years later it is hard to find anyone complaining about them .

I hope I have not missled anyone on here and that your wildlife commission goes through with there plan for APRs . It would be 2 or 3 years before you notice a difference in your deer quality . But after 3 years you will see a lot more mature bucks . 

Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

Return to Oklahoma