2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

cbhunter

RE: 2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

Postby cbhunter » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:22 am

Update on the NW part of the state.
  Sat(10-31) hunted that eve and watched a small 8 make a scrape and walk within 5 yards of my stand with his nose to the ground. This was the 1st buck I've seen on stand so it was tempting but I let him walk.
  Sun(11-1) Didnt see anything in the am. Took my son out in the eve didn't see anything till we were walking out jumped 1 it ran out in wheat field. When I glassed the field there were 2 does and nice buck in the field not sure which 1 we jumped but I think it was the buck and he stopped to check out the does. We had a few min of shooting left so my boy wanted me to try and call them back figured it wouldn't work but I tried with no luck.
   Wed(11-4) Hunted the eve nice night in the woods but didn't see a thing.
Going back out tonight with hopefully better results. Good luck too all and keep us posted

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:48 am

Report from Lake county Ohio:

Went out Fri eve. (11/6) with my wife and neighbor. We all headed out as soon as I got home from work - 4:00pm. The neighbor was in a hurry and walked out into the farm's apple tree patch and kicked up a nice size doe. Where did it go? Right to my tree stand and into the woods. The wind was light and temps. in the 40's - PERFECT. My wife got a chance to hear a buck make a snort weeze for the first time. She got out of her blind, made sure nothing was around to spook it, then walked the edge of the woodline on an open field. She walked about 80yrds. and walked right into the buck's path. Luckily she wasn't in his wind, so he didn't know what was coming his way. She said, it sccared her. but yet it was exciting. She left him alone and came straight to the truck, so that the buck wouldn't shy away from the area. I guess she did pretty good if ya ask me---MAN I LOVE THAT WOMAN.

Took the wife out Sat. morn. (11/7) Its warmer this morning than than it was all day yesterday. Man is it windy, too. Thats not a good thing. Sunny,Warm and Windy - We saw nothing. We will be back out for this eve. hunt. We both have our doubts, but if you ain't out there -- you ain't hunt'n. I'll let you know.

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:39 pm

Lake County report: NE Ohio

The wife and I went out this eve. (11/7). The wind slowed down a bit not much but the gusts were not so bad. The temps. were warm. We saw one doe that was it. I'll be watching the wind and temps. for the up and commingg week. [>:][>:]

whitacl

Postby whitacl » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Hopefully these temps drop, headed to Cincinatti this coming weekend to hunt a buddies farm. Always see at least one wall hanger, have yet to get a shot at any of them. Its hard to close the distance in just 2 1/2 days of hunting. Going to try a doe decoy to try and bring one of them big boys in close.

Good luck to all and the rut will be in serious roll when these temps start to fall back down later this week.
Ohio BBH

mbeavers8

Postby mbeavers8 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:28 pm

Started the 2 week deer hunting vacation wen i got off work friday. made it down to ross county in time to get a few extra shots in at the range. My father got a 120" 8 pointer at 5:40 a.m. saturday...unfortunately no meat left and the truck is going to be in the shop a couple weeks (he'll do anything to make me drive and use my gas!!) not seeing anything in the woods my guess is to warm...temps are going to drop so hopefully it will pick up

mbeavers8

Postby mbeavers8 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Any update on activity? I'm in Ross county and not seeing a whole lot of deer at all. Trail cams are loaded with deer that made be pass an 8 today but not many sightings at all the past 4 days. Just curious if this may be the calm before the storm as far as the rut goes or if i need to move some stands

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:39 pm

Lake County (N E Ohio) report:

The rut is on but the temps. are keeping things held back a bit. When its cooler the deer seem to be moving better. They move earlier in the eve. and longer in the morning. My buddies at work said, the bucks have been running in the fields with nose to the ground like a beagle - when its cooler. I've been seeing bucks and does moving earlier and earlier in the eve.

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Lake County report (N E Ohio):

Sat. eve (11/14) - even though the temps. were to warm I went out anyways. I saw one buck way across the corn stuble field. It was way out there. I couldn't even count the points. I layed out a doe scent trail and a buck decoy, but the buck didn't won't any part of it. I got him to stop twice with a buck grunt then a doe bleat. He stopped and looked, but then kept walking. I don't know if it was the warm temps. or what? Has anybody run into this scenerio before?

mbeavers8

Postby mbeavers8 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:49 am

Warm temps are kicking my butt. Saw one giant (11-14) at 29 yards but didn't have a shot what so ever. Once he got to the opening he was trailing a doe that went by 10 minutes earlier and wouldn't stop for a grunt at all. He finally stopped about 70 yards away and i did 2 snort wheeze's and he turned both times but never came back. Got desperate and rattled but a little too loud i guess, he threw his flag and ran 40 yards then started trailing her again. Had another shooter same stand chasing a doe (11-15) in the morning but was so dark all i saw was outlines of 2 bodies one with a tree growing on his head. He chased her for 20 minutes up until daylight but never came back in range. I got 5 more days then have to go back to work so hopefully can make somthing happen!

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:47 am

(SAT 11-14) Had a tall 8 come by about 7:15am used a doe bleat to turn him and bring him back. Got him to 23 yds. and in a shooting lane but he was slighty quartering to me. I really thought at some point he would turn broadside. Well he did but it was to get the heck out of there. Guess after a couple of min. of scanning the area and not seeing the doe he figured something was up. He ran about 25 yards looked back and walked into a standing cornfield. About 15 min later he came out of the chasing a doe heard him grunting as he chased her into the woods and that was the last time I seen him.
  Other than that pretty slow weekend only saw a couple more deer going to my stand(late am) 11-15.

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio