Muzzleloader Opener

VA MD Hunter

Muzzleloader Opener

Postby VA MD Hunter » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:12 am

31 Oct 09 is opening day for muzzleloader season in VA...It's a two week season that coincides nicely with the rutting action...Saturday is suppose to be warm but early morning hunters should see some movement to include chasing...Try tickling the antlers right at first light...Good luck!

VA MD Hunter

RE: Muzzleloader Opener

Postby VA MD Hunter » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:30 am

Well, my muzzleloader opener was uneventful with the exception of showing up to my stand location only to find my treestand was missing...I unfortunately do not lock my treestands to the tree so I cannot complain too much...Oh well...

I'll give it another go starting tomorrow...Hunting on a soybean farm...stay tuned and wish me luck!

yzcajunman

Postby yzcajunman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:10 am

not having much luck myself.... they actin funny this year!

VA MD Hunter

Postby VA MD Hunter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:36 pm

Finally took a doe with the muzzleloader on 3 Nov 09...A group of four were coming off the beans...Waited 35 min. before shooting hoping a buck would show...No luck...Hunted 4 and 5 Nov with no deer sightings...Saw a doe and a fork horn on today's hunt...I'm starting to see scrapes...Hopefully the big boys will become more visible in the coming days... 

VA MD Hunter

Postby VA MD Hunter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:57 am

Saw a doe and small buck on 6 Nov and a small doe on 7 Nov...Things are definitely slow...I believe a few does are in estrus and they are being bred at night during the coldest temperatures...I'm seeing dead does and bucks on the road so they are chasing...Hopefully the majority of does will come into estrus this week and we will see some hot, rutting action...Good luck!

whitetailtime

Postby whitetailtime » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:30 pm

After sitting almost three days without any deer activity. I heard a noise to the right of my stand around 4:15 on Tuesday evening. Right away I picked up the bucks horns and then heard him grunt, he was chasing a doe. I stood up and grabbed my muzzleloader, then lost sight of this buck it seemed like for a long time. Then I picked up his horns again but all I could see was the left side of his face. So I waited for him to turn broadside and clear the brush, again seemed to take for ever. Finally a shot, after the smoke cleared I listened for him to crash. Heard him crash, almost jumped out of my to go recover. Let me say this, one of the greatest feelings to me is getting close to where the deer was standing and glassing and finding that white belly. Hard to beat it!!! Here are a couple of pictures.

Return to Virginia